Foam tips for the Altec iM716 phones
May 8, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #16 of 21
(This is an update taken from the thread "Homemade Foam Eartips for IEMs")

Picture of the E-A-R Classic Soft memory foamies on iM716-

These look identical to the E-A-R Classics, but less spongy, and a slightly smoother surface feel than the original Classic PVC formulation. Still not as quite smooth as the skin of urethane plugs.

Of course they could be trimmed down to the size of the stock foamies. I kinda like the 'Grande' sizing for now. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo!
biggrin.gif

The SQ, comfort and seal are, to me, very close to the Red-Hots (Howard Leicht Max, above post). However, the dense composition and cylindrical shape are easier to work with than the very soft and tapered urethane plugs.

P50500061small.jpg

Whoa, that picture is larger than I thought.

Sorry.

May 10, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #17 of 21
FWIW-

I put the Red-Hots back on after a few days of the Memory Foamies.

For me, comfort was slightly better, as was the SQ, but only marginally. Bass was ever slightly more visceral, shaking around my brain cells, with the Red-Hots than with the MFs.

Your results may vary.

Later-

Oct 12, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #18 of 21
As per the original post of this old thread-

Altec now supplies replacement tips and filters for the iM716/616 here:

http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...ccessories.asp

I'm actually glad there was a period where we needed to search out other tips as it was the motivating force to making and trying other tips. I'll never go back to PVC foamies after urethane.

However, it is good that we can get filters!

Cheers-

Oct 13, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades
Actually they have been selling those for quite a while, at least a month or so.

Yeah, I know. Just wanted to tie up the loose ends of the thread in case someone stumbled on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades
It really doesn't matter to me anymore, I'm still 2x happy with my Reds.

Me too Ace, me too.

etysmile.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #21 of 21
i know that the er4 and the er6i are intergangeable (eartips) i have 6is and my dad gave me some 4p tips. and i have heard that the 4 series tips fit the im716. so i dont see any real need to do any diy work. but i guess its a fun little project.i use the tri-flanges btw. never been a huge fan of foam. i might give it a try though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back