Foam pad on ears vs full size over ear phones
Jan 2, 2021 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

angoraBedsocks

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I know that it’s important for over ear headphones to get a good seal to maximise sound quality and full frequency response. I’ve had several pairs of AKG K550s and always struggled to get a consistent seal meaning poor bass. Yet my Koss KSC75s appear to work fabulous and consistently with a very loose fit with foam pads. I guess headphones that use on ear foam pads must be designed from the outset to work effectively like this.

I’ve actually gone full circle having sold most of my over ear headphones (DT770s, various AKG, Superlux, etc.) as I now much prefer the comfort and convenience of the Koss with Parts Express headband as they can be used everywhere, lying down, and under a hat!

Am I missing out by ditching the over ears other than soundstage? I’m also curious if there are any good sounding closed back on ears with foam pads out there for use on train, etc., where the leakage of open phones is a problem. Does such a thing even exist?

Jan 2, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 2
Oops - I should also say I definitely realise I am missing out on deep bass, but feel the KSC75s have enough punch for rock and jazz which is what I mainly listen to.

Thinking about it more, I wonder why there aren’t more headphones out there like the Porta Pro and KSC75 that offer good on ear sound and comfort. I mean they seem pretty well regarded here in general, yet manufacturers don’t seem to be very interested in producing premium foam padded on ear headphones - perhaps because they don’t look premium and wouldn’t sell as a result?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back