Foam on headphones
Oct 13, 2002 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Watchdog

500+ Head-Fier
Way, way back when I was got my first ever job, I took some money and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD400's, yeah way ancient. Eventually the foam disintegrated and I found a set of replacement pads, now even the replacement pads have disintegrated and I don't know where I can find replacements. Has anyone ever built their own foam pads? Any recommendations on how to do this?

I also bought a set of Beyer DT990 Pro's about 10 years ago and the foam on the inside (right over the drivers) has disintegrated as well. I don't see that this foam is replaceable. Which brings me to my next point.

I've only ever bought 2 sets of good quality phones (well just bought some Porta Pro's bought I've only had them for 1 month) and the foam has disingrated on both sets. Can anyone recommend a good sounding headphone that's comfortable to wear and won't give me this problem?

btw I don't have enough money to buy Electrostatics if that's what some may suggest. My budget would be around $300 - 400 max for a set of good headphones.

Oct 13, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 5
Almost all headphones have some sort of foam around the drivers, even if there's none in the pads, usually to tame the treble a bit. This stuff does wear out eventually, but luckily almost all of it's replaceable directly from the manufacturer. Even the replacement pads for your HD400 are available directly from Sennheiser USA.

If you can't find the specific part you're looking for -- like, say you need the foam driver cover for the HD600 -- emailing/calling the manufacturer will often get you what you need. Try sending an email to service@beyerdynamic.com to see if you can get some replacement foam driver covers for your DT 990 Pro.

kerely

Oct 14, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 5
The Sonys won't give you this problem MDR XXXX, but most of the people here does not like them, if you have more that 300 to spend get th MDR-CD3000 (of course depending of your source or amplifier) and I don't think this will give you any problem in the next 10 years or so,
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

I also bought a set of Beyer DT990 Pro's about 10 years ago and the foam on the inside (right over the drivers) has disintegrated as well. I don't see that this foam is replaceable.

Watchdog,

I had a similar problem with a pair of Sennheiser HD 560's. I replaced the thin polyurethane foam with a piece of Hollytex cut to size and slid it under the earpads. What is Hollytex you ask?? Spun and fused polyester filament. I use it at work, but you may be able to find it at a fabric store. If you can't find Hollytex, Remay may be a good substitute (although it has a slightly rougher surface - potential ear itch). When I used the Hollytex to replace the degraded foam I did a comparison on the sound and I didn't detect any significant difference. I was able to do the comparison because only the foam in one earpiece needed replacing (although I replaced both for the sake of uniformity). The downside of using Hollytex is that I think it only comes in white. Hope this helps. If you can't find any, PM me. I might consider sending you a scrap in the mail.

Namastay,
Cheeba-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back