FM Radio maybe ?
Sep 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

RodgerM

New Head-Fier
So I been thinking about getting an FM Radio to listen to at times.  I already have an OTA setup (for TV) and I'm looking at the pole going "Hm.. I might as well put up a FM antenna." , but I'm not sure where to start.

I wouldn't know any el cheapo radios that would allow for a Coax 75 ohm connection ?

Also, would I want to purchase a cheap antenna like
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=fm6&d=antennacraft-by-radioshack-fm6-6-element-fm-antenna-%28fm6%29 ? Or would I better off just getting a small little ole FM radio that could with a simple up and down antenna from inside the house ?

Also, would I need to get a preamp with an FM trap on the OTA to stop the FM antenna from interfering ? Or that wouldn't be an issue ?

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 14
My phone receives FM. It gets quite a few channels in stereo locally. It uses the headphone cable as an antenna. I sometimes listen to it when walking the dogs if my interest has been caught by something on the car radio. I also have 3 or 4 redundant car radios in the loft with AM & FM. You might have one or two, or an acquaintance might.

So it depends on your locality, and the reception conditions, your taste and your enthusiasm. You might want a multi-element yagi with a rotator, a mast-head LNA and a high class receiver, or you might be satisfied with a phone and an adapter cable.

w

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #6 of 14
We also have a g'zillion radio stations on the satellite TV, plus DAB. Not everybody likes it, but I find the quality acceptable and my wife plays the DAB radio in the kitchen from choice above the FM/AM.

Then there's the Internet, 18 channels of BBC radio, fed into the system from the computer soundcard, or channels from all around the world. We're really spoiled for choice. I don't know if you can see the BBC in the US, but I just tried ABC from Australia and the quality is good, with no glitching. I have optical fiber broadband tho'. I have a Behringer UCA202 plugged into the USB on this particular computer.

Or perhaps you fancy a bit of DIY @ $6.40? http://dx.com/p/tea5767-fm-radio-module-for-electronic-diy-red-black-225121

w

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 14
  We also have a g'zillion radio stations on the satellite TV, plus DAB. Not everybody likes it, but I find the quality acceptable and my wife plays the DAB radio in the kitchen from choice above the FM/AM.

Then there's the Internet, 18 channels of BBC radio, fed into the system from the computer soundcard, or channels from all around the world. We're really spoiled for choice. I don't know if you can see the BBC in the US, but I just tried ABC from Australia and the quality is good, with no glitching. I have optical fiber broadband tho'. I have a Behringer UCA202 plugged into the USB on this particular computer.

Or perhaps you fancy a bit of DIY @ $6.40? http://dx.com/p/tea5767-fm-radio-module-for-electronic-diy-red-black-225121

w

hmm.. I wonder if there are any PCI or USB FM tuners for the PC like there are ATSC tuners (OTA tuners) ?

edit: It seems there is, but they got some bad reviews. http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DSB-R100-USB-Radio-Software/dp/B0000488VF/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 14
Except for the Magnum Dynalab ($$$$) that Avro listed, you'd do a lot better with a tuner from Ebay.  I have three Sony J75's, each of which I got for less than $100.  The old tuners - with a good antenna - have sound quality that's far superior to modern tuner equipment.  There just isn't a market anymore for a very-high quality FM tuner.  It's mostly FM stations themselves that purchase the Magnum Dynalabs, as a check on their signal quality.

I also have the Sony HD Radio tuner (XDR-F1HD) that they made recently for a few years.  People swore by them, but my J75's run rings around it.  Unfortunately, the price went up by 4 or 5 times when they quit making them.  I paid about $75 for mine new, but now they're $300-$500.  There again, you can do lots better on ebay if you're smart about it and follow these guys' advice and reviews:
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/ - this is one of the finest vintage audio sites in existence.

You'll find very few FM-specialized antennas, either.  A TV one wastes a lot of the elements because the old VHF frequencies didn't exactly overlap with FM.  I have this one in the attic and it has superior signal output compared to a lot of the omni's or whips (it's also very cheap):
http://www.amazon.com/Antennacraft-Triple-Driven-Directional-Hd-Radio-Antenna/dp/B003EB03OA/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1379458508&sr=8-16&keywords=FM+antenna

FM is still great fun if you can find a good station that doesn't super-compress everything.  PBS stations seem to be the best.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 14
  Except for the Magnum Dynalab ($$$$) that Avro listed, you'd do a lot better with a tuner from Ebay.  I have three Sony J75's, each of which I got for less than $100.  The old tuners - with a good antenna - have sound quality that's far superior to modern tuner equipment.  There just isn't a market anymore for a very-high quality FM tuner.  It's mostly FM stations themselves that purchase the Magnum Dynalabs, as a check on their signal quality.

I also have the Sony HD Radio tuner (XDR-F1HD) that they made recently for a few years.  People swore by them, but my J75's run rings around it.  Unfortunately, the price went up by 4 or 5 times when they quit making them.  I paid about $75 for mine new, but now they're $300-$500.  There again, you can do lots better on ebay if you're smart about it and follow these guys' advice and reviews:
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/ - this is one of the finest vintage audio sites in existence.

You'll find very few FM-specialized antennas, either.  A TV one wastes a lot of the elements because the old VHF frequencies didn't exactly overlap with FM.  I have this one in the attic and it has superior signal output compared to a lot of the omni's or whips (it's also very cheap):
http://www.amazon.com/Antennacraft-Triple-Driven-Directional-Hd-Radio-Antenna/dp/B003EB03OA/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1379458508&sr=8-16&keywords=FM+antenna

FM is still great fun if you can find a good station that doesn't super-compress everything.  PBS stations seem to be the best.

Ah maybe I should scrap this idea.  Seems it's turning in to another $100+ idea, and where as the locals in HD idea was something we actually use (The 91XG I bought pointed at Shreveport, LA ) , I can always use spotify .. Although I miss listening to the radio once and a while.  DISHNetwork has Serious too, but it just aint the same.

edit: Also I'm on 10GB capped internet, so spotify would only be for a 'quick fix' rather than "leave it on and see what I can find" .

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 14

Ah maybe I should scrap this idea.  Seems it's turning in to another $100+ idea, and where as the locals in HD idea was something we actually use (The 91XG I bought pointed at Shreveport, LA ) , I can always use spotify .. Although I miss listening to the radio once and a while.  DISHNetwork has Serious too, but it just aint the same.

edit: Also I'm on 10GB capped internet, so spotify would only be for a 'quick fix' rather than "leave it on and see what I can find" .

I thought the idea I conveyed was that you could have a superior-quality tuner and antenna for something less than $100 or a bit over?  I know the economy is still crap, but is $100 or $125 that much worse than what you were proposing?

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #12 of 14
  With SSI income, yeah.

It figures - someone expresses an interest in FM radio and I scare them away.
frown.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 14

It figures - someone expresses an interest in FM radio and I scare them away.
frown.gif

I think it was me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back