flying with Shure E2's
Nov 17, 2003 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

richard

100+ Head-Fier
The E2's do a nice job of blocking most ambient noise, other than jet rumble, on an airplane when listening to music at moderate volume. They made some recent flights much more pleasant. Take them out after a period of extended use and you realize how much noise they block.

They work well with an ipod.

Just thought I'd share.

Nov 18, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 17
Could anyone please tell me what adaptor do you need for in-plane use with the e2? Where can i get them and how much?
Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 17
On my recent US domestic flights, almost all of the airplanes has a standard mini-jack now..so any headphone will do..

Otherwise, the standard airplane => mini stereo plug will do.. there's nothing special that you'd have to get.. Should be able to find them at your local Radioshack...

Nov 18, 2003 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 17
Some airlines have not changed their headphone outputs. If this is the case, this should work.

negritot: You heard bad information. As already mentioned, the E2's have only been out for a year. There is no plan to discontinue the E2 or E2c.

We have some new stuff coming out early next year, but E2's (and E2c's) will not be affected by them.

Nov 19, 2003 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 17
Well, one of the products is now shipping. It's a Cell Phone headset called Quiet Spot. It utilizes the E2 assembly with a Noise Cancelling microphone.

The other new stuff will be introduced at CES in January. I can't give any details right now, unfortunately. As already mentioned, E2 is not going to be affected, and I should also include that E5 will not be affected either.

Nov 19, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 17
NOOOOO!!! This just ain't right!!!...

I want the Quiet Spot.. but it's not compatible with my Nokia phone. My Nokia uses their proprietary connector (same connector as the power & pc link), NO!!!!!!
frown.gif

Man, it would've been nice... oh wellz...

Nov 19, 2003 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 17
There are two versions, one for Nokia, and one for non-Nokia. Does Nokia have several different kinds?

I wasn't the product guy on that team, but they borrowed a lot of our geometry from the E2.

Nov 19, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 17
Nokia has a series of phones that uses a 2.5mm jack.. which is what most companies make headsets for. There are few Nokia phones now that uses a "multi-function" adaptor.. it's a connector that goes into the bottom of the phone, and it's the same connector the phone uses for docking (potentially with a PC, because the USB cable and the dock are sold separately...).

No idea of Nokia is going to move completely towards the proprietary plug... but it's a definite possibility... given that these phones that uses this type of plug are all of the newer model.

Nov 19, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #15 of 17
I have an adapter for nokias, not exactly optimal but it works with standard headset outputs. The extra little cable is annoying at times but I hate being limited to only Nokia headsets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back