Flying Mints
Oct 18, 2004 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

tkerby

Head-Fier
I built a mint in a Penguin Cinnamon tin a few months ago for my partner for her to take with her while travelling. It gives serious improvements to the sound on her iPod. The only problem is that she keeps getting stopped by UK airport security.

It started a few months ago with a simple question as to what it was, and a reply of 'a headphone amplifier' seemed to suffice. More recently they have taken an extra xray and asked to see it turned on. Now they want it connected to the ipod, turned on with headphones and to hear the music. They have also started taking chemical swabs both inside and out.

Its now causing at least 15 minutes airport delay and she very nearly got told she wouldnt be allowed on the plane with such a device. Now she is scared to fly with it in case she either has it confiscated or is sent home from the airport (or worse, arrested).

Strangely, I can carry numerous cables circuit boards etc through the airport security as part of my job, but its always the Mint amp that has caused problems and nothing else. Perhaps the staff just think its cool and want to listen to some high quality tunes for a few minutes but I think its a shame that they can bully someone not to take a piece of personal hi-fi on board.

If it is ever confiscated, I'll be producing a receipt for the device with a hefty price tag for the airport to pay (I'd happily make another for £300) as I will not let them bully electronic hobbyists, their partners and friends.

Has anyone else ever had similar problems?

Oct 18, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 18
i have had too many problem with airport security to mention. havent flown with a diy head amp yet though. perhaps the fact its cased up in a mint tin makes them suspicious. try using a hammond or something maybe?

worst for me was flying in to perth. after having my record case searched and each record sleeve exmined they thought my doc martens were a bit heavy (well derr theyre docs) and they asked whats in them, i pulled the insole up to show them lint and fluff. yet they still insisted on xraying them!!!!

Oct 18, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 18
I showed my Cmoy to my friend and he said "Don't try to take that with you on plane". I haven't yet had a change to try, but trust me I will.
etysmile.gif

If I have problems, I will report it here.

Oct 18, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 18
I have never taken my mint on a plane. I had considered it several times but finally decided that it wouldn't be worth losing it. Unfortunately traveling is what I had intended it for. I now use it on my computer mainly. Go figure. There are a few threads on this topic. So far I haven't read any story of where the amp was confiscated.

Oct 18, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 18
dont get me started on airport security, jeeze... such bs... i was on a flight with my friend and they were giving him crap becuase he had his wifi antenna in his backpack, a 24" fiberglass omni... and there were like "its a weapon blah blah" they finally let him go but when i went in i was carrying my laptop bag and my photography bag, with my heavy aluminum tripod attached that had metal spikes on the feet and they didnt say anything
rolleyes.gif

anyway i second the hammond idea, at least then it looks like a commercial device and less suspicious i guess

Oct 18, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 18
I like the hammond idea, I have my mint in the smallest hammond with an external ac supply. But, is there a hammond that can happily take 2 PP3 batteries, preferably with easy external access. That would be a great bonus for portability

Oct 18, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 18
Can I also ask that the next person to name an amp / dac or other head-fi design calls it 'Detonator' That way we can all get nicely engraved front panels with the name and some switches......
etysmile.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkerby
Can I also ask that the next person to name an amp / dac or other head-fi design calls it 'Detonator' That way we can all get nicely engraved front panels with the name and some switches......
etysmile.gif

or "atomic" or something.. complete with a red cover over the power switch and a big red button labled "BOOM" for the bass boost
eek.gif
icon10.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 18
If you do take your portable amp with you and are worried about getting it confiscated why not take a padded envelope so you can mail it home rather than letting them get it for free.

You can get a hammond case which is big enough to take 2 pp3 batteries though you'd have to sort out easy access. A double bulgin pp3 holder is slightly too big to fit in. It may be possible with some cutting.

I think it's something like the Hammond 1455J1201

Oct 19, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 18
I hear to bring a mailer in case it gets stopped by the TSA but has anybody had first hand knowledge of this?
Are there drop off post office boxes by the check in counters before the luggage or gate check in with carry ons?
Or would you trust a TSA employee to hand the package off to drop in a mail box?

Oct 19, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #14 of 18
People can bring mints on airplanes... why wouldn't they allow a cmoy or mint?? Just tell your friends to put the thing away in her bag to get it xrayd before she goes through. That is what I do with my cd/md player if I ever fly with them.

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #15 of 18
That's like saying people can bring shoes on planes so it's okay if you hide a bomb in it like the French terrorist.

I don't think trying to hide it and pass it off as a tin of mints is going to help your case if you get "caught."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back