Flying dreams
Sep 27, 2005 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
I seem to have reoccuring dreams where I am consciously floating/flying and have to use energy to keep myself up. I just awoke from one in which I was apparently travelling to different planets (or planes?) because I can remember all kinds of odd things and strange places that are hard to explain or recall and then in the last part of the dream I hear myself screaming 'I want to go to Earth! To Earth!' and then I am hovering above the ocean during a storm at night and I'm just trying to keep myself from hitting the water. It seems scary but I know I have enough energy to stay up if I need to. These type of 'flying' dreams are a reoccuring phenomenon for me...
is there an explanation for this? Anyone else have flying dreams?

Sep 27, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 16
Never have, to my knowledge. Had falling dreams a few times, and cars careening off cliffs (so weird... I could feel the traction lessen, and then the car starting to roll, then falling), but never flying.

Only weird ones I have are where I dream about completely mundane conversations, and then the conversations actually occur in real life some weeks or months later. I dunno. Could just be my mind playing tricks on me, but then, dreams are strange things...

Sep 27, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 16
When I was growing up I used to have them all the time. I would 'will' myself to levitate up and forward. Sometimes I would slowly start to lose lift and often struggle to maintain it. I would never fall though, just slowly return to the ground. Typically I never flew more than 20 or 30 feet off the ground. It's funny, I just realized that my 7 year old son has been talking alot lately about how cool it would be to fly. I will have to ask him if he ever dreams it.

Sep 27, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 16
hmm, "Flying - To dream that you are flying, signifies a sense of freedom where you had initially felt restricted and limited. "

(http://dreemmoods.com/)

Search for online dream dictionaries etc. You should find more explanations. IME public library and book stores should have dream dictionaries and guides also.

--back to your intial dreams, it sounds like you've been trying really hard to find freedom...but something is at the same time trying hard to keep you down.

Sep 28, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
hmm, "Flying - To dream that you are flying, signifies a sense of freedom where you had initially felt restricted and limited. "

(http://dreemmoods.com/)

Search for online dream dictionaries etc. You should find more explanations. IME public library and book stores should have dream dictionaries and guides also.

--back to your intial dreams, it sounds like you've been trying really hard to find freedom...but something is at the same time trying hard to keep you down.

makes sense, considering my current life circumstances

Sep 28, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 16
I have flying dreams a lot. Used to be a competitive swimmer, so my flying style is really dorky - swimming butterfly through the air! I'm never more than about 20' off the ground, and it always happens when someone is chasing me and I need to get away.

Have you ever read about "out-of-body experiences"? In my college days I read a book by a guy who claimed to be able to cause these regularly. At one point he was having recurring dreams/experiences [to me the skeptic they seemed like dreams but he insisted he was really having an OOBE] about being a man in a world where railroads were still the prime method of transportation and other weird things inconsistent with our world. Though it was not simply that he appeared to be "back in time" because there were technological developments that he did not recognize. He tried to go about life normally when he was in this world but whenever he returned to it, he noticed that the guy he was visiting seemed really depressed. Eventually the guy in the other world had a nervous breakdown, lost his job and died, and the guy writing the book was no longer able to visit that "place."

The theory was that the author sort of "took over" the body of his host and wandered around trying to learn everything, etc., and that when he left, the host's brain could not account for the time he was missing from his body (so to speak), therefore the host eventually lost the regard of friends, colleagues and his boss, lost his job, thus had a nervous breakdown, then died, all because this guy from our world was forcing him to be a host body.

I know this is kind of heavy for first thing in the morning but it has always intrigued me. Maybe your visits to other places were really out-of-body experiences?!

Sep 28, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 16
Wow dvallere, did people believe the guy that was having those out-of-body experiences?

You should see the movie Somewhere In Time (http://imdb.com/title/tt0081534/). The main character becomes obsessed with an old painting of a woman that used to reside in a hotel a long time ago - he hypnotizes himself or something and actually goes back in time to meet her.

Sep 28, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Wow dvallere, did people believe the guy that was having those out-of-body experiences?

I'm not sure if anyone actually believed him, but the book was a sort of "how-to" for starting the OOBE process. There were some anecdotes like this one in there. Sounded like a lot of rubbish to me. My BF took it pretty seriously and tried to force himself into OOBEs. The only time he thought he succeeded it just happened to coincide with a rowdy party the night before so I discounted that one too.
etysmile.gif

Sep 29, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 16
...many times there are "power lines" above me in the flying-levitation dream preventing me from going real high....not always though.
If I am not having a flying dream, I am usually dreaming about my first true love-mega crush that I had in the 6th grade back in 1969-1970...I was too shy at the time to even talk to her...Gives new meaning to not forgetting ones first love
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

When I was growing up I used to have them all the time. I would 'will' myself to levitate up and forward. Sometimes I would slowly start to lose lift and often struggle to maintain it. I would never fall though, just slowly return to the ground.

Exactly the same dream here.

Sep 29, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 16
I have them fairly often too! In mine I'm usually able to fly wherever I want & its not really hard. I was a swimmer too - wonder if there's a connection. And it does feel a little like swimming when I'm flying -- there is physical effort - but not really hard. I also have a desire to learn to fly a plane. I keep telling my husband that I'm going to go get my pilot's license & he just laughs & says he will hardly ride with me in a car much less in a plane!!! He says the same thing about me wanting motorcyles!! But he may lose out on the cycles one day!!!

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 16
Lol, it's interesting how common these dreams are. When I was younger I used to have the same dreams and just like Micaela said it's more like swimming or even like diving.

Micaela, I truely encourage you to take your desired flying lessons. Even if you just take one or two lessons to know how it feels like. It's fantastic!
Four years ago I started my pilot training - more like an apprenticeship. I mainly flew the Cessna 152 and the 172. Unfortunately the employment chances weren't too good so I finally went to the university instead.
Nevertheless - flying has been one of the greatest things in my life so far!

EDIT: When flying smaller planes like the C152 it's almost like driving a car - except you've got a third dimension. But while I suck when I've to reverse into a parking space, I find landing those planes not only far easier for me but also truely more enjoyable *g*.

Incidently, if those dreams are expressing a desire for freedom, flying is just
the next best thing to complete freedom (of movement at least *g*).

Sep 30, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #13 of 16
I've had a couple lucid dreams that I can remeber where I attempted to fly upon gaining awareness that I was dreaming. I always thought that gaining lucidity in a dream allowed you to do whatever you wanted in your dream world, because you recognized that everything was your own construction. That turned out not to be the case with me...I would try my hardest to fly but the most I could manage the first time was jumping up and slowly floating downwards. The second time I managed to take off, only to get stuck in a cluster of tree branches.

The only universally successful flying dream I've had wasn't really flying, but more like moon gravity. It was at the end of the ski season a few years ago, and my brain must have been going through withdrawal from not being able to ski everyday, because I had a dream that I was skiing down the mountain with very little gravity, and each time I hit a jump I would end up sailing a few hundred feet and gently landing. That was a pretty cool dream
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 16
Not necessarily flying, but I recently had a dream where I definitely started levetating, just low-level levetation at first, and I seemingly realized this was happening and then kind of cruised up to about 2-3 stories high, when around some buildings and landed again. It was all kind of gradual and slow. I think it was early in the morning, I may have woken up, fell back asleep and had this quick dream. It felt pretty good. I like dreams where you feel like your in control.

Sep 30, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 16
Not to thread-jack, but I get those dreams where all your teeth fall out. These dreams happen at any age, supposedly it's a sign that you're growing up. But then I wake up and realize all my teeth are still there.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back