Flux remover?
Nov 21, 2001 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chych

The butter knife's second victim.
I just went to the basement today and noticed that my mother, for whatever reason she had in mind, bought a bottle of "Flux Remover" spray (like that WD-40 spray can). So it removes flux from electronics... is this a recommended tweak for audio components? I'm not exactly going to spray it all over my electronics if it will destroy them...

Smells an awful lot like ethanol too...

Nov 21, 2001 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 5
It is good for removing flux from solder joints, but usually that has allready been done before most products leave the manufacturer. I wouldn't use it for a connection cleaner for RCA's etc. It is a fairly aggressive solvent, usually, and may damage some type's of plastic and other materials.

Nov 21, 2001 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 5
Hmm I see... At least I should deflux the solder joints or something...

Apparantely in the biochemistry world ethanol/ethyl alcohol can be used to precipitate, which reduces the dielectric... in say, like a solution...

So, since this flux thing smells like ethanol, the active ingredient must be it... so I guess it would be good to use it, or maybe just ethanol, on internal wiring and cables or something, to reduce the dielectrics increasing conductivity. I guess it would be good on everything except, say, capacitors.

Nov 21, 2001 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 5
WHAT????? You mean my Sumiko Fluxbuster is really a desoldering tool?????
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 22, 2001 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 5
(How nice that they don't just list the ingredients.) I would deflux your board, but be careful of capacitors. The idea was that it would migrate (capillary flow?) into capacitors and ruin them. Age's ago - when I spent a summer on a board assembly line (living hell), we would bulk deflux the wave soldered boards, solder in the caps,connectors,etc. by hand, then deflux those joints with a swab, and alcohol, by hand.

(Hirsch- You did know the Sumiko went out of production due to sterility problems in frequent users?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back