FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
May 19, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #1,021 of 1,084
It’s the same only the board is black instead of blue.
Looks the same to me besides the color of the board and the Module board and cabling (Right side of blue-board's pic)

image_2024-05-19_183557611.png
Right, so why is yours missing the module and cabling on the right???

When I show off the insides of my gear, I don't remove modules, cabling, and ribbons.

May 19, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #1,022 of 1,084
Right, so why is yours missing the module and cabling on the right???

When I show off the insides of my gear, I don't remove modules, cabling, and ribbons.
Oh that’s the dual slave/master module. Did you order a solo Mentor? But even then they used to include that in case people upgraded. You best message them to ask.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #1,024 of 1,084
Oh that’s the dual slave/master module. Did you order a solo Mentor? But even then they used to include that in case people upgraded. You best message them to ask.
I do have the module, but, it's a $70~ upgrade iirc when you order a single. If you don't pay the upgrade fee it's not in there and maybe the black boards all dont have it.

May 19, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #1,025 of 1,084
Soundstage: sounds like this pair matches the Mentor in grand size, whereas the Bifrost 2 cramped it. Separation is greater than Ares and Bifrost also
Tone: Got my warmth back, and the vocals are pushed forward. the bass is bigger but hits a bit softer than on the Ares 12th-1, likely firmware-driven

Makes the cold Mentor far more natural, but the speediest and sharpest clarity in the treble is subdued, and slightly sibilant at the very top of S's, but for every other range it's more effortless and less fatiguing to listen to. Think 'Tube-like'
Noteworthy, the Timbre is superior to the Bifrost 2, beating schiit at their own game there.
For those interested, after today's experiment, my conclusion is Pontus II with 1.4 is just a better match to Mentor. It makes the details served by Mentor better shine.
Upped to F1.4 too, and the clarity comes back, punchier bass. Definitely brighter and the tubey sense leaves, but it matches the Mentor in fullness, that boasted powerful character. Little wider soundstage too. Still convinced an M-field will be the superior pairing for more warmth with 12TH-1 and using F1.0 is only a compromise.

Paired with the Iris DDC, unlike with F1.0, I think the bass is even enhanced. More full in the sub bass tones, and a little more boom closer to that of F1.0. A touch more sibilance than F1.0 though, and keep in mind it's still flattening the warmth to neutral. The soundstage leap isn't there though like with F1.0, it's about the same as F1.4 straight dac but a little tighter imaging.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #1,026 of 1,084
Looks the same to me besides the color of the board and the Module board and cabling (Right side of blue-board's pic)
Exactly, the same sans the module and its cabling.

Flux had only initially few such models without the module and when I was discussing with them the options, they advised that if I never plan to use the stack, it's wise to take one of those remaining without the module and save a bit. They do not offer such an option anymore, all Mentors are only with the module now.

So mine is the special black edition :).

May 20, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #1,027 of 1,084
Paired with the Iris DDC, unlike with F1.0, I think the bass is even enhanced. More full in the sub bass tones, and a little more boom closer to that of F1.0. A touch more sibilance than F1.0 though, and keep in mind it's still flattening the warmth to neutral. The soundstage leap isn't there though like with F1.0, it's about the same as F1.4 straight dac but a little tighter imaging.
Yea, everything converts to a point I'm going to get myself one piece of Iris as well. Worst case I will just sell it again, but my gut feeling is it will be worth it.

May 20, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #1,028 of 1,084
I have a question for amplifier users. Is Mentor dependent in any way on RCA and XLR inputs? Is there any major difference in SQ?

May 20, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #1,029 of 1,084
I have a question for amplifier users. Is Mentor dependent in any way on RCA and XLR inputs? Is there any major difference in SQ?
My gut feeling is that there will be a difference. Mainly because the DACs usually have better output from the XLRs to start with, blacker background, etc. In general, the balanced signal is most important between DAC and amplifier. Therefore I'd always prefer connecting Mentor with the DAC via XLR.

Actually, I didn't test it as my DAC has definitely better output SQ from XLR, so no point in even trying it.

May 20, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #1,032 of 1,084
Just checked mine, by peeking through the vents, and it's got the blue board.
:) hehe hopefully the black tint does not sound worse than the blue one. But even if so I don't mind, mine is already good enough.

May 20, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #1,034 of 1,084
Not on a single unit as it's dual mono not balanced (until stacked). So quality of your DAC's input could matter but generally balanced inputs are preferred bc of the increased power. That 'bonus power" if-you-will doesn't come into play until stacked. Thats when 11w becomes 33w.

May 20, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #1,035 of 1,084
Has anyone tried the Modhouse Tungstens on the Mentor yet?
Several of us still waiting our Tungz.
But Ryan has tried it and told me it sounds great and is "definitely one of the better options'.
I just cant wait to hear OG Yggy > Mentor > Tungsten... I already know the synergy will be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back