FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
May 8, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #902 of 1,039
Yes, linear power supply, but for my MZ3 amp.
Ok, thanks. I've been wondering if a linear PSU would improve the ADI-2 (despite what RME say) so was hoping you'd tried it.

May 8, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #903 of 1,039
Ok, thanks. I've been wondering if a linear PSU would improve the ADI-2 (despite what RME say) so was hoping you'd tried it.
Manufacturers will often tell you power supply upgrades will make no difference, its hardly ever true. I'd definitely give it a shot. The reason they make these claims is so they dont have to include such a power supply and be forced to raise prices which would equal less units sold.

May 8, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #904 of 1,039
Manufacturers will often tell you power supply upgrades will make no difference, its hardly ever true. I'd definitely give it a shot. The reason they make these claims is so they dont have to include such a power supply and be forced to raise prices which would equal less units sold.
I agree, I'm sure they have excellent smoothing in the ADI-2 but even so, switch mode power supplies are horrible noisy things.

May 8, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #905 of 1,039
Before getting the Mentor I really wanted to give the Violectric V281 reissue a shot. It's powerful and have that tube like warmth with bass slam. I know it pairs well with Meze and Focal but not sure if it was worth $1200 more than the Mentor (after shipping and paypal fees).

sure isnt bc at that price you could have the Mentor STACK.

May 9, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #906 of 1,039
As mentioned earlier my chain is Stack Audio Link 2 > Mscaler and TT2 > 1266 TC. Orders are open again on their site, took the plunge and ordered the Mentor stack, not sure on delivery but the Flux team said 2 months in an email to me yesterday, they were pooling interested customers. I'll update here, if i receive a shipping date.

May 9, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #907 of 1,039
As mentioned earlier my chain is Stack Audio Link 2 > Mscaler and TT2 > 1266 TC. Orders are open again on their site, took the plunge and ordered the Mentor stack, not sure on delivery but the Flux team said 2 months in an email to me yesterday, they were pooling interested customers. I'll update here, if i receive a shipping date.
:blowfish: Two whole months of waiting?

May 9, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #909 of 1,039
Quick observations, less than 24 hours after arrival:

The Abyss 1266 (and I reckon other hard-to-drive, low sensitivity, planars) are driven to proper (dare I say, perfect) levels with stunningly full frequency range. These particular headphones are capable of so much sub-bass and bass and the Mentor has power in spades. Soundstage is really wide (might also be the nature of these headphones) and midrange & high frequency detail is superb. With a quick listen on the HD800S, all the brilliance you'd expect is there (that I hear with my other amps and the HD800S), but the added bonus is that this amp makes them punch more in low-mid. This is a very welcome attribute. I'll have more listening time with both, but primarily listening with the Abyss right now. This amp feels like I just stepped into a very powerful 8-cylinder 500+ horsepower finely-tuned automobile. Nimble, precise, and POWERFUL.

Second thing to note: I don't have the proper interconnects, so no way of using the WA22 as a preamp until I obtain some cables. That'll be on the to-do list.

0JqZOYi.jpg

May 9, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #910 of 1,039
May 9, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #914 of 1,039
Oh lord I'd forgotten about the M-Field. With everything I said about the MJ3 and Mentor, i'd probably prefer the M-Field to the Mentor. Oh no. Oh no. :dt880smile:
Or you could preamp a tube amp into the Mentor. Even my low budget Lyr 3 preamp made the Mentor have more body to its mid and better timbre.

May 9, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #915 of 1,039
I find the Cyan 2 to be a fantastic DAC that punches way above its price range. Natural R2R sound and great imaging, but also with plenty of dynamics, clarity, energy, punch and bass slam. It is quite balanced though; while bass is super satisfying, it is relatively even. I do not know how much more mid-bass is emphasised on the Yggy, but of course it can be a synergy thing. :wink: Even though I am yet to hear a dissatisfying combo with the Cyan 2.
Do you do any EQ'ing with the Cyan 2? I thinking of replacing my mojo2 with the Cyan 2 as the main desktop dac with my Mentor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back