FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Mar 24, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #571 of 780
Don’t let the missus find out. She’s might whip you with those expensive looking Norne Cable.
hahahahaha, threatening me with a good time

It is kind of hard to hide Mentors though lolol. And explaining the need for a second amplifier is for sure a higher degree of difficulty lol.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #572 of 780
Instead of an audiophile power conditioner, I saw a professional-grade "online" UPS on my local classifieds that did double-conversion and cheaply replaced the two lead-acid batteries inside.

Was a great deal (like 200usd).

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #573 of 780
hahahahaha, threatening me with a good time

It is kind of hard to hide Mentors though lolol. And explaining the need for a second amplifier is for sure a higher degree of difficulty lol.
soundnews said he enjoyed the dual mentor set up more than the Volot, but when he describes the volot’s sound signature it sounds more in line with what i want from an amp, subtle and wide. I still can’t wait to hear both, they both look so beautifully designed, especially on the inside. I can see me jumping at a used volot somewhere down the line should it present itself and i hate that for me because im beyond satisfied with the MJ3 lol also i hate huge things on my desk, but id make an exception for the volot lol

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #574 of 780
Yeah there has been fresh shelling in Kharkiv the last several days; especially in the Industrial District. Being 20 miles from Russia it's particularly vulnerable to attack.

They are also mostly without power as both power plants were hit in the last 2 days and all of the substations. Less than 40% of the city has power.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #575 of 780
So I started preamping from MJ3 to the Flux Mentor (single). And I have mixed feelings about this. On one side I appreciate the bass rumble from the MJ3 making the music more colored. On the other side, it’s “noisy” and takes away from the low bass and mid bass clarity I had with just the Mentor. You also have the higher frequency sibilance of the MJ3 as well.

I never noticed the MJ3 being so “colored” till now. You go from dead quiet background Flux Mentor to slight rumble decay background of the MJ3. The bass impact is almost too overwhelming and bleeds a bit into mid.

It’s like you mixing all the individually colorful paint thinking you’ll get something awesome but you ended up with Mud Brown. Though it’s not bad per se, it’s just “different”. I will need a bit of brain burn in to appreciate this new sound.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #576 of 780
Pretty interesting how much color the MJ3 gives; it's almost tube-like. I wonder what it is in it's design that leads to that... Maybe the old school chokes.

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #577 of 780
Mentor arrived today finally and I did my best (so far) to place it into my existing stack (see photo). Still not ideal and I'm sure I will rearrange it several times.. Until now I was only listening to my speakers from here, so I need to find some new setup.

I was curious what that claim of "almost like listening to speakers" means, and well it's not the same as listening to my speakers :) but I get that statement.

Usually, I start with Please Read the Letter from Rober Plant & Alison Krauss (this whole album is such a good recording) and I was satisfied right from the box. If this is the start, wondering where it will go. I'm actually not sure whether to call it neutral, bright or warm or whatever. It was just right. Bass where it needs to be and holographic enough to hear everything I know and then some.

Then going to Brother from Alice in Chains (the MTV unplugged album) I swear the right headphone speaker will eventually melt from the overblowing portion of musicality and energy coming out there, it's amazing. I like how this song resonates in the room from my speakers, now it is just around my head.

Now listening to some clean piano and vocals in Stay from Matt Rollings (again) with Alison Krauss again confirmed I will like this setup. The silent background helped to stand out all the instruments there. They are presented here always in small pieces at a time, but well balanced. The piano here is just perfect to my ears.
I still hear a bit of sharpness from time to time, for example in Metallica's Turn the Page, but that I hear even from the speakers. It is probably caused by the source (from iPhone to DAC) I guess here I will just need to solve it with some DDC like Iris, maybe.. Let's see how this will burn in.

What surprised me the most so far was however when I played Show Me Heaven from Maria Mckee. That is now a completely different song as I knew it. On the one side, too much of new information coming out, but I like it. It's not like it would be too much on me, the opposite actually. Didn't know this all was on the recording.

So in summary, not bad for the first 2 hours :). I'm quite happy I have Mentor home. I'll never know how it would be with MJ3, but who cares, I not.
Puritan will arrive only tomorrow, so let's see how that will shake with all this.

Attachments

• stack.jpg
    stack.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #578 of 780
Mentor arrived today finally and I did my best (so far) to place it into my existing stack (see photo). Still not ideal and I'm sure I will rearrange it several times.. Until now I was only listening to my speakers from here, so I need to find some new setup.

I was curious what that claim of "almost like listening to speakers" means, and well it's not the same as listening to my speakers :) but I get that statement.

Usually, I start with Please Read the Letter from Rober Plant & Alison Krauss (this whole album is such a good recording) and I was satisfied right from the box. If this is the start, wondering where it will go. I'm actually not sure whether to call it neutral, bright or warm or whatever. It was just right. Bass where it needs to be and holographic enough to hear everything I know and then some.

Then going to Brother from Alice in Chains (the MTV unplugged album) I swear the right headphone speaker will eventually melt from the overblowing portion of musicality and energy coming out there, it's amazing. I like how this song resonates in the room from my speakers, now it is just around my head.

Now listening to some clean piano and vocals in Stay from Matt Rollings (again) with Alison Krauss again confirmed I will like this setup. The silent background helped to stand out all the instruments there. They are presented here always in small pieces at a time, but well balanced. The piano here is just perfect to my ears.
I still hear a bit of sharpness from time to time, for example in Metallica's Turn the Page, but that I hear even from the speakers. It is probably caused by the source (from iPhone to DAC) I guess here I will just need to solve it with some DDC like Iris, maybe.. Let's see how this will burn in.

What surprised me the most so far was however when I played Show Me Heaven from Maria Mckee. That is now a completely different song as I knew it. On the one side, too much of new information coming out, but I like it. It's not like it would be too much on me, the opposite actually. Didn't know this all was on the recording.

So in summary, not bad for the first 2 hours :). I'm quite happy I have Mentor home. I'll never know how it would be with MJ3, but who cares, I not.
Puritan will arrive only tomorrow, so let's see how that will shake with all this.
Looks beautiful, Man.

I can't find a flaw witht he Mentor. Somebody asked me on Reddit "whats your most negative thing to say about The Mentor" and I was straight up flummoxed. I finally stammered "I guess I wish it was silver like my Yggy".

That's really all I got.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #579 of 780
Looks beautiful, Man.

I can't find a flaw witht he Mentor. Somebody asked me on Reddit "whats your most negative thing to say about The Mentor" and I was straight up flummoxed. I finally stammered "I guess I wish it was silver like my Yggy".

That's really all I got.
What type of music are you into?

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #580 of 780
I'm curious what the delivery time was like for this amp? Once it becomes available again, I plan to order one.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #581 of 780
Looks beautiful, Man.

That's really all I got
Being picky here, but for my it would be no analog outs, but given the whole package, it's really tempting not gonna lie.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #582 of 780
Mar 26, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #583 of 780
I'm curious what the delivery time was like for this amp? Once it becomes available again, I plan to order one.
typically takes about 3-5 days for it to make its way by land to Poland then 48 hours later delivery in my case in the middle of the US.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #584 of 780
Being picky here, but for my it would be no analog outs, but given the whole package, it's really tempting not gonna lie.
Yeah, fair point if I needed a pre-amp that would be the gripe.
But daaaamn it sounds good.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #585 of 780

You had the same problem I had. It was overwhelmingly detailed that it fatigues you. You gotta get used to it. It gets even more detailed with a bigger soundstage in a dual mono setup. It doesn’t color the music like other amps at all. Just nice transparency and clarity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back