FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Mar 16, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #512 of 1,084
Very nice first impressions, I’m sure it’ll become less fatiguing as it settles in. If you don’t mind answering a few questions (mainly in contrast to the MJ3) as the mentor is also an interest of mine.
1. How would you describe the weight of its sound? Thin? Weighty/dark? Neutral?
2. What’s the bass quantity like? You described its quality well, but how much bass is there? More or less than MJ3?
it's amazing is what it is. Hefty, full, weighty and neutral with great extension. It's phenomenal.

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #513 of 1,084
Mentor. MJ3 was the choice for a long time, but then I switched (as availability in EU is unclear and I started to like what people said about Mentor). I do not have any comparison between the two. Had to pick one.
You picked wisely imo.

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #514 of 1,084
So when you mention the mentor being more fatiguing over long sessions what do you mean specifically? Because i associate fatigue with high frequencies in general, are you referring to super high frequencies? Like higher than the sibilance (6.5k to 9k) region? Like >10k??
I listened to it for 14 hours yesterday with zero fatigue.

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #515 of 1,084
Mar 16, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #517 of 1,084
I was describing the lower frequency in response to his question on bass. I was hesitant on using the term plankton for lower frequencies but the Mentor is very resolving for its bass.

The trebles are very close between the MJ3 and Mentor with the Mentor less sibilance and more resolving.

But I do agree with you, the MJ3 has a special spot for very musical and slow music. The timbre on it is just perfection. MJ3 is more intimate in sound while Mentor is more grand in sound stage. Just a very different flavor between them, which is good. I don’t have to sell a redundant amp.
Thanks alot, your input is very much appreciated my friend.

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #518 of 1,084
Thanks alot, your input is very much appreciated my friend.
It's pretty invaluable to me, I thank him as well.
He has HeKs, he runs an A1 Yggy, and has both Mjolnir3 and Flux Mentor - all my same kit (and will have the stack shortly as well- lucky bastage lol).

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #519 of 1,084
You picked wisely imo.
Encouraging :). makes the waiting easier. Not sure if I want to read more MJ3/Mentor comparisons :D, just to hear the thing finally.

But those look like two quite comparable products. I was also considering the new M-Field, but it is supposed to have a "more intimate soundstage" in comparison to the wider (speakers-like) soundstage of Mentor. Which suggested that I rather stick with Mentor, as big soundstage is also a property of HE1000SE and this I want to preserve and support it as much as possible.

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #520 of 1,084
Encouraging :). makes the waiting easier. Not sure if I want to read more MJ3/Mentor comparisons :D, just to hear the thing finally.

But those look like two quite comparable products. I was also considering the new M-Field, but it is supposed to have a "more intimate soundstage" in comparison to the wider (speakers-like) soundstage of Mentor. Which suggested that I rather stick with Mentor, as big soundstage is also a property of HE1000SE and this I want to preserve and support it as much as possible.
It's an amazing amp. I'm in love.

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #521 of 1,084
question about Mentor is a single Mentor supposed to sound like stereo or mono i question this because im also a gamer and 1 mono sound from windows settings sound completely off for gaming i understand it supposed to be duel mono but in the sound itself will it be acting like stereo sound?

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #522 of 1,084
question about Mentor is a single Mentor supposed to sound like stereo or mono i question this because im also a gamer and 1 mono sound from windows settings sound completely off for gaming i understand it supposed to be duel mono but in the sound itself will it be acting like stereo sound?
it's dual-mono but with separate channels- aka it sounds exactly like stereo. It's fantastic in games (i play too). And movies.

Not only that but gaming on a system like this puts us in the top 0.0001% audio-wise; the true 1 in a million!

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #523 of 1,084
Dual Mentor is stereo. It renders 3D sounds much more clearly than my other amps. If there is a foot step or finger click in the background (and in games those happen at deep low frequencies), the Mentor will make it clear to you. The each audio channel in a single Mentor has its own power supply. The Dual Mono is just a special bypass where they reroute all power of an entire amp to one channel each so the output is higher Wattage.

Mar 16, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #524 of 1,084
Dual Mentor is stereo. It renders 3D sounds much more clearly than my other amps. If there is a foot step or finger click in the background (and in games those happen at deep low frequencies), the Mentor will make it clear to you. The each audio channel in a single Mentor has its own power supply. The Dual Mono is just a special bypass where they reroute all power of an entire amp to one channel each so the output is higher Wattage.
I agree with this. Playing The Finals last night I could EASILY pick out where people were whether by footsteps or gunfire. I wasn't sure what was from the Yggy and what was from the Mentor, but, yeah. Amazing in gaming.

Getting a Yggy and a Mentor on the same day was an awesome upgrade.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #525 of 1,084
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back