FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Mar 10, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #451 of 876
What kind of XLR interconnects do you pair with Mentor? Based on a recommendation from Flux I will go for Neotech Nemoi 3220 (OCC copper flat) cable. I will let it custom build. Just deciding whether it makes sense to pair with just standard Neotech NC 06612 XLR connectors or if pairing with some higher-level connectors like Aeco 1060g or Neotech Nex OCC GD would make a significant difference (the last one does not make financial sense I guess).
Probably this is for nothing, but maybe with this setup I will finally start hearing cable differences :), if so don't want to risk anything.
idk but make me a set too and i'll help you test em out :gs1000smile:

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #452 of 876
The cable thing is a bit ridiculous for me. I can understand IEM cables and I can even hear differences between headphone cables but the improvement is ever so slight for me.

Unless whoever made the interconnect and power cables absolutely failed, it shouldn’t make any different in sounds because my Amp has chokes that store power. It’s not my sound will be any better just because the power came from water falling down a mountain, passed across a large pristine forest, bathed in the snow laced mountain air, and then routed to my house.

some cables are pointless but power cables , especially to power amps, make big differences.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #453 of 876
Wait, I thought the flux needed dual male 3 pin XLR to 4 pin XLR Female.
You're right in that specific scenario. The headphone cables I got were dual male 3.5mm TRS to 3-pin XLR male for a mentor stack once I save up for 2 units. I then had a separate cable made for connecting those cables to any other amp, a dual female 3-pin XLR to 4-pin male XLR.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #454 of 876
So how are the two connected together ? Is is just the slave cable or would that other single xlr port on the back be used?

image_2024-03-10_154826366.png

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #455 of 876
The headphone connectors they sell for $119 look pretty decent. I'll probably have Trevor @NorneAudio make a set for me.
image_2024-03-10_154957443.png

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #456 of 876
some cables are pointless but power cables , especially to power amps, make big differences.
This problem is solved directly by Flux out of the box :wink:
went with Arctic Cables and a custom order for their Aperion cable to just be done with it. 15.5 gauge effectively of OCC copper and that's all I'll ever be needing for a while 👍.
Arctic cables look very nice indeed. It's just too much in EU after duties and taxes. Also lifetime warranty is not so useful if one needs to send it every time to US and then back. I think the copper alternative to those in EU would be something like Forza Audioworks, but gauge being only 26AWG.. though no idea how much of a difference this could have in the end.

In any case, don't want to go after anything fancy, for example, Nemoi 3220 runs for less than 30 Eur per meter, but now I guess I will treat it with the Aeco just for a better feeling.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #457 of 876
This problem is solved directly by Flux out of the box :wink:
Yep! I definitely added the upgrade cable.
Got a Wireworld Stratus 7 (great value) for the Yggy which if it wasn't for the Flux UP-OCC cable I'd get another Stratus as it's about the same cost and is quite good for that price.

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #458 of 876
I just realized after searching around that there isn’t any readily available dual 3 pin XLR male to 4 pin XLR female adapter. It seems you have to special order them.

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #460 of 876
I just realized after searching around that there isn’t any readily available dual 3 pin XLR male to 4 pin XLR female adapter. It seems you have to special order them.
If you look up a couple posts i show Flux's (which they sell with the stack).

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #461 of 876
If you look up a couple posts i show Flux's (which they sell with the stack).
But I didn’t order a stack so no option. I kinda hand a 2nd thought and ordered a 2nd flux. Strangely it had a matched pair that has not sold, so it ended up being a true stack. However none of the cable options since I ordered the single. I asked and they included the connectors between the two for free but not the adapters.

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #462 of 876
Aw... and they wouldnt provide an option to buy one?

Damn, Son, you gonna have the stack!

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #463 of 876
Aw... and they wouldnt provide an option to buy one?

Damn, Son, you gonna have the stack!
It got everything but the adapters which I just got from Hart Audio. They did a custom order for 65 usd, certainly cheaper than the 200 usd from Flux.

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #464 of 876
It got everything but the adapters which I just got from Hart Audio. They did a custom order for 65 usd, certainly cheaper than the 200 usd from Flux.
nice. they will ship them out pretty damn fast compared to most of the boutique cablers, too.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #465 of 876
Flux's adapter costs 120USD and is based on UP-OCC multi-strand cable produced from Ohno cryo-treated monocrystalline copper.
I think your adapter is not at the same level as Flux offers; they offer all cables at almost cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back