FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Jan 4, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #61 of 1,039
I'm sorry, I should have checked the homepage first. As long as it's a choice I'm all for it 👍

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #62 of 1,039
is it possible to use a different remote with this, or do we need to get the stock one? Just thinking from the perspective of not buying one, and then suddenly needing one later on, would I be SOL?

Jan 6, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #64 of 1,039
The FLA Mentor is definitely one of the most power headphone amp in terms of specs I've seen in a while, and with this being fully class A, this has absolutely grabbed my attention. Other than a few other amps being suggested for the Modhouse Tungstens, I'm looking at a fully balanced stack of these as well. Lemme see if I got this right, please anyone correct me if I got any of this wrong.

Output Power for 1 unit

11.2W RMS per channel into 32 ohms (11.2W each ear cup, 22.4W total output power?!)
1.6W RMS per channel at 300 ohms (1.6W each ear cup, 3.2W total output power?!)

Output power for the Mentor Stack (each unit):

33.5W RMS per channel into 32 ohms (mono mode)(each earcup for a total output of 67W?!)
6.4W RMS per channel into 300 ohms (mono mode)(each earcup for a total output of 12.8W?!)
Has anyone found out how much power goes into 150-ish ohms from a stack of these? (Tungstens are 155ohms but at 78 dB/mW)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #65 of 1,039
Could anyone enlighten me on the material difference between Volot vs Mentor? Both are dual mono class A and deliver roughly the same watts. What accounts for the price difference?

Has anyone found out how much power goes into 150-ish ohms from a stack of these? (Tungstens are 155ohms but at 78 dB/mW)

+1. Also looking at this (or Volot) as a prospective driver for Tungsten.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #66 of 1,039
Just look under the hood, bigger power supply with massive nippon-chemi caps, 80 volts on the spec sheet (vs 70v on the mentor), two larger transformers at 160w (mentor doesnt list the size, but they're smaller) and a third smaller one for god knows what

volot is 110w consumption, mentor is 45w

but there's a lot more to amp design than just what class it is and output...

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #68 of 1,039
Just look under the hood, bigger power supply with massive nippon-chemi caps, 80 volts on the spec sheet (vs 70v on the mentor), two larger transformers at 160w (mentor doesnt list the size, but they're smaller) and a third smaller one for god knows what

volot is 110w consumption, mentor is 45w

but there's a lot more to amp design than just what class it is and output...
Thanks, but maybe I should have been more clear - what is the actual difference between them in real world use? Surely they didn't just spend an extra thousand dollars making Volot more complicated to do exactly the same thing in exactly the same way at exactly the same output power. Why do these two amps that have nearly identical performance specs sit beside each other in their line at markedly different prices?

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #69 of 1,039
Surely they didn't just spend an extra thousand dollars making Volot more complicated to do exactly the same thing in exactly the same way at exactly the same output power. Why do these two amps that have nearly identical performance specs

They aren't exactly the same, though. The price is pretty close comparing the Volot to the Mentor stack fwiw

Jan 8, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #70 of 1,039
As I asked them on their FB page, they didn't go into tech details but they seemed to imply the Volot is still to be considered the superior unit, irrespective of the fact that 2 Mentors bring you into the same price range.

Jan 8, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #71 of 1,039
As I asked them on their FB page, they didn't go into tech details but they seemed to imply the Volot is still to be considered the superior unit, irrespective of the fact that 2 Mentors bring you into the same price range.
I asked them about it as well. It seemed to me that it comes down to preference. The volot has very slight rolled off treble while the dual mentors are more neutral.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #72 of 1,039
Thank you, it will take a while because Flux instructed me that the amplifier needs at least 150 hours of use to let the big capacitors settle down. So I am going to let it playing music 24/7 for a while.
Hi Ichos, is there much time left for your review? I'm really excited and curious to hear first impressions on this beast! :gs1000smile:

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #74 of 1,039
8bt8pt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back