Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Nov 17, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #992 of 2,598
Nice, let us know how they compare. I think the 789 will focus on treble whilst the flux will focus on everything else.

Nov 17, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #993 of 2,598
Nice, let us know how they compare
+ 1!
I own a Monolith THX and an SMLS SH9 coming tomorrow....Flux is on my radar and I am looking forward reading how it performs vs Massdrop THX

Nov 17, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #994 of 2,598
+ 1!
I own a Monolith THX and an SMLS SH9 coming tomorrow....Flux is on my radar and I am looking forward reading how it performs vs Massdrop THX
+ 2!

I’ve always been curious about the Beyerdynamic A2. How does it compare to the THX? Have you tried the higher output impedance with higher impedance headphones per chance?

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #995 of 2,598
+ 2!

I’ve always been curious about the Beyerdynamic A2. How does it compare to the THX? Have you tried the higher output impedance with higher impedance headphones per chance?
Hi,
A2 sounds a bit warmer to my ears, especially when you set the output impedance at 100 ohm. THX is more “dry” on the bass and sharper on treble. I use these amps with Beyer 1990pro and 1770pro. I find the 1990 pro to match better with the A2, while 1770 is good with THX as it brings the mid forward.
That said, I don’t think the A2 is worth the pricelist tag.

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #996 of 2,598
Hi,
A2 sounds a bit warmer to my ears, especially when you set the output impedance at 100 ohm. THX is more “dry” on the bass and sharper on treble. I use these amps with Beyer 1990pro and 1770pro. I find the 1990 pro to match better with the A2, while 1770 is good with THX as it brings the mid forward.
That said, I don’t think the A2 is worth the pricelist tag.
Interesting thanks! I’ve seen the price drop quite heavily recently on Amazon.de but have also seen some complaints on the build. Quite a few have commented on the price tag also.

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #997 of 2,598
complaints on the build.
they did not receive the A2 then :) Build quality is super, this is a very solid amp and a nice looking one. Not sure what anyone could complain about.
On the Amazon offers...be careful, there is a lot of scam lately. Lots of fake vendors offering used items "in very good confition" that will ask you for an email contact before confirming the order. On the email, they will ask you a direct transfer of money so they can skip Amazon fees and keep a low price for you. If you do that, you lose any Amazon protection on your purchase and clearly you will not receive the good you paid for.

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #998 of 2,598
they did not receive the A2 then :) Build quality is super, this is a very solid amp and a nice looking one. Not sure what anyone could complain about.
On the Amazon offers...be careful, there is a lot of scam lately. Lots of fake vendors offering used items "in very good confition" that will ask you for an email contact before confirming the order. On the email, they will ask you a direct transfer of money so they can skip Amazon fees and keep a low price for you. If you do that, you lose any Amazon protection on your purchase and clearly you will not receive the good you paid for.
I love the look of it! Too few amps let you peer into the circuitry, the other I can think of off the top of my head is funnily enough what brought me to this thread - Flux Lab's IRIY dac/amp.

I've seen those scams, thanks for pointing them out! On this occasion, Amazon themselves were selling it for 723 euros (not through a 3rd party seller). I didn't pull the trigger as there are some other single-ended options that I now have my eye on that aren't much more, like the SPL Phonitor SE that comes in around 925-ish euros if I remember correctly, and others that are much less.

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #999 of 2,598
So whatever happened to the Volot? Any news on that front? At this point, it seems set on course to miss the holiday season, and hence a 2020 last quarter release. Does that seem like a right guess?

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #1,000 of 2,598
I was told it will come out after 2 month. Be similar to the fa-10 at 16 Watts but sound richer. Retail price approx 2.4k usd

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #1,001 of 2,598
I was told it will come out after 2 month. Be similar to the fa-10 at 16 Watts but sound richer. Retail price approx 2.4k usd

It's what I just learnt too, chatting with the guy on Facebook ; i.e. release postponed for at least 2 months owing to Covid-19-related reasons. The price seems good, but I think it would be more competitive if it had a pre-amp stage. I just told the guy that in the chat, and I do not know how he is going to respond. The Violectric V550 that has just been released on Drop is a powerful amp with a preamp (not to mention pedigree and name recognition) for the same projected price as the Volot. That could make for some stiff competition right there, especially, if Volot has no pre amp.

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #1,002 of 2,598
It's what I just learnt too, chatting with the guy on Facebook ; i.e. release postponed for at least 2 months owing to Covid-19-related reasons. The price seems good, but I think it would be more competitive if it had a pre-amp stage. I just told the guy that in the chat, and I do not know how he is going to respond. The Violectric V550 that has just been released on Drop is a powerful amp with a preamp (not to mention pedigree and name recognition) for the same projected price as the Volot. That could make for some stiff competition right there, especially, if Volot has no pre amp.

Yep i think they had a pretty hard time with COVID. On the Volot I'm kind of with you, i'd really like a preamp stage too. My main set up is in the living room, where i have home cinema and i'd really like to run a decent pre-amp into my power amps for 2 channel listening. I'm low on allocated real estate so separate Headamp and Pre-amp is tough sell with the wife. On the real estate front, the Volot is full width so thats a potential issue for me at least too.

As you say at this sort of price, more options come in to the frame as do expectations when it comes to feature sets. That said, as i've yet to hear another SS amp with tuning that it i prefer to my FA12, if the Volot does capture this and take it reference levels, it might still be very hard to look elsewhere.

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #1,003 of 2,598
Yep i think they had a pretty hard time with COVID. On the Volot I'm kind of with you, i'd really like a preamp stage too. My main set up is in the living room, where i have home cinema and i'd really like to run a decent pre-amp into my power amps for 2 channel listening. I'm low on allocated real estate so separate Headamp and Pre-amp is tough sell with the wife. On the real estate front, the Volot is full width so thats a potential issue for me at least too.

As you say at this sort of price, more options come in to the frame as do expectations when it comes to feature sets. That said, as i've yet to hear another SS amp with tuning that it i prefer to my FA12, if the Volot does capture this and take it reference levels, it might still be very hard to look elsewhere.
Like you already know, here is another one that sum for a preamp feature in the Volot... I hope that Flux labs read the forum... Also I want a remote controller :relaxed:
By the way, @Slim1970 have you received your FA10?, I'm waiting for your impressions with HD 800S on them. And one other thing, when you connect your Z1R to FA10 (I suppose with the kimber cable), is that kimber with a 6,3 mm end or XLR (I though that all kimber cables were 4,4 mm)? Thanks.

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #1,004 of 2,598
Like you already know, here is another one that sum for a preamp feature in the Volot... I hope that Flux labs read the forum... Also I want a remote controller :relaxed:
By the way, @Slim1970 have you received your FA10?, I'm waiting for your impressions with HD 800S on them. And one other thing, when you connect your Z1R to FA10 (I suppose with the kimber cable), is that kimber with a 6,3 mm end or XLR (I though that all kimber cables were 4,4 mm)? Thanks.
Not yet, hopefully this week my modded FA-10 will arrive. In the mean time, I’ve been enjoying my HD800S’s directly out of my new RME Pro. I setup a PEQ profile for it and they sound sublime. Currently I have a 6.3mm Sony/Kimber cable on my Z1R’s. I do have a 4.4mm Sony/Kimber cable that I haven’t taken out of the box. I have a 4.4mm to 4-Pin XLR adapter for it as well. I just haven’t had the urge use them yet since the Z1R’s are so easy to drive single ended.

I’m in the same boat as everyone else is on the Volot. I’m waiting for it’s release and waiting to hear some sound impressions on it. The Violectric offerings seem really attractive. Not that I need either one, but curiosity gets the better of me sometimes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back