Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Jul 25, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #451 of 2,598
Today my FA-10 arrived, finally :slight_smile:. It's a real beauty and very well build.
I won't do a detailed review but share my basic impressions after a few days. For a full review my english skills are not enough.
I will compare it against the mighty Phonitor X (best SS amp I know so far) but only with my LCD-3 (late 2018 fazor drivers),
the headphone I bought this amp for.
Route will be: PC (foobar / ASIO USB) -> Mutec MC3+ USB -> ADI-2 DAC (coax) -> Phonitor X (XLR/slave through) -> FA-10 (XLR)

My inital hope was that the FA-10 will kick my LCD-3 in the butt and push a bit more dynamics and bass control into that laid-back hp,
but I'm not quite sure anymore :unamused: , we will see ...

The color is "champagne" if you may wonder.

Congrats and can’t wait to hear whaf you think :)

Jul 27, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #453 of 2,598
Today my FA-10 arrived, finally :slight_smile:. It's a real beauty and very well build.
I won't do a detailed review but share my basic impressions after a few days. For a full review my english skills are not enough.
I will compare it against the mighty Phonitor X (best SS amp I know so far) but only with my LCD-3 (late 2018 fazor drivers),
the headphone I bought this amp for.
Route will be: PC (foobar / ASIO USB) -> Mutec MC3+ USB -> ADI-2 DAC (coax) -> Phonitor X (XLR/slave through) -> FA-10 (XLR)

My inital hope was that the FA-10 will kick my LCD-3 in the butt and push a bit more dynamics and bass control into that laid-back hp,
but I'm not quite sure anymore :unamused: , we will see ...

The color is "champagne" if you may wonder.

Very nice setup and love the colour choice.

Have you had a chance to listen to the QUAD ERA-1 headphones with the FA-10 yet?

Would really appreciate your impressions.
Thanks

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #454 of 2,598
I have finally received my FA-10, the amp is quite nice however I have a problem, there is no sound...

I have plugged all the cables, they all fit securely, but I have a doubt about my SE cable : take a look at the photograph, the cable should fit completely around the SE inputs ? Actually it is not, and so I wonder if the signal is going to the amp.

Ideas are welcome...
32715B17-7108-40A9-84F9-41FC2A2144F7.jpeg

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #455 of 2,598
I have finally received my FA-10, the amp is quite nice however I have a problem, there is no sound...

I have plugged all the cables, they all fit securely, but I have a doubt about my SE cable : take a look at the photograph, the cable should fit completely around the SE inputs ? Actually it is not, and so I wonder if the signal is going to the amp.

Ideas are welcome...

There is definitely no proper connection. If you can't plug it correctly with a little force, go and get another cable.

Very nice setup and love the colour choice.

Have you had a chance to listen to the QUAD ERA-1 headphones with the FA-10 yet?

Would really appreciate your impressions.
Thanks

Yes I did, will share my impressions tomorrow.

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #456 of 2,598
There is definitely no proper connection. If you can't plug it correctly with a little force, go and get another cable.

So you confirm that my cable should fit more around the SE plug ?

If someone has a photograph, like mine, to show....

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #457 of 2,598
Ok my cable is now OK, I have pushed it with more force :) it fits the input plug completely

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #458 of 2,598
Didn't somebody write earlier in this thread that the input must match the output? E.g. if you connect with RCAs you must use the unbalance HP output and if you connect with balanced inputs you must used balanced outputs?

Is it possible that the RCAs are just fine but the problem is you're using the Balanced HP output?

Jul 27, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #459 of 2,598
Didn't somebody write earlier in this thread that the input must match the output? E.g. if you connect with RCAs you must use the unbalance HP output and if you connect with balanced inputs you must used balanced outputs?

Is it possible that the RCAs are just fine but the problem is you're using the Balanced HP output?

No, thats not right. What you mean was a comment about FA-12.

Jul 27, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #460 of 2,598
No, thats not right. What you mean was a comment about FA-12.
woops I thought it applied to both FA-10 & FA-12, my bad.

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #461 of 2,598
Some early impressions about my FA-10, I just listened briefly to 2-3 songs, more to come in a few days.

The amp is a bit more little than expected, it feels nicely dense and heavy, the chassis is pretty nice, better than what you can see on pictures (where it feels a bit like a ´diy’ amp).

I’m listening at 1 o´clock / high gain with my Hifiman HE6se, the sound is absurdly clean (DAC is Chord Mojo) and controlled, I was expecting more punch however (but again I just listened very briefly). Take note that I never used HE6se with other amps so I can’t compare to anything.

Jul 27, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #462 of 2,598
Some early impressions about my FA-10, I just listened briefly to 2-3 songs, more to come in a few days.

The amp is a bit more little than expected, it feels nicely dense and heavy, the chassis is pretty nice, better than what you can see on pictures (where it feels a bit like a ´diy’ amp).

I’m listening at 1 o´clock / high gain with my Hifiman HE6se, the sound is absurdly clean (DAC is Chord Mojo) and controlled, I was expecting more punch however (but again I just listened very briefly). Take note that I never used HE6se with other amps so I can’t compare to anything.

If it’s anything like the 12 it will need a good 150+ until it’s really at its best. Class A amps always take some running in. Looking forward to hearing more :)

Jul 27, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #463 of 2,598
If it’s anything like the 12 it will need a good 150+ until it’s really at its best. Class A amps always take some running in. Looking forward to hearing more :)

Well, I don’t believe too much in SS amp burnin, but hey why not!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #464 of 2,598
Jul 28, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #465 of 2,598
371E43D3-84D3-4243-B403-18FFDD4D2856.jpeg

Here are my impressions after 2 days of intensive listening and comparing to my Phonitor X:

Preview:
The FA-10 is one of the best amplifiers I've heard so far and that have been quite
a few in more than 10 years I'm into this hobby. Please keep that in mind!!!

It reminds me of the iFi Pro iCAN with a more defined and powerful low end performance.
Compared to the Phonitor X I have to admit that the Phonitor does everything
a bit better, but thats no surprise for me. The single ended output of the Phonitor
sounds closer to the FA-10 but the balanced output pulls ahead in every aspect.

I will try to show up my findings in short words:

Build Quality and Operation:
Quality of the case is outstanding. It‘s build like a tank.
The frontplate is beautiful and the color and labeling without any flaws.
Connection elements are mostly of high quality and the volume knob and switches
feel rock solid. The volume knob could take some more resistance when turning it.
The Phonitors housing is made of thinner sheet, some connection
elements in the backplate are cheap standard (single ended/mains) and are
not really stable attached. It‘s a shame.

Bass:
FA-10's Bass is fast and full sounding. It goes very low but is a hint more prominent
in the midbass region. Punch is very good but not dry. The Phonitor has a flater
response and is more controlled. This translates to a slightly punchier and dryer mid bass
and more low level information at all.

Mids:
The Mids are rich and pleasing. They have a seamless connection to the mid/upper bass wich
leads to the overall full-bodied character of the FA-10. Again, the Phonitor presents
a more neutral midrange with better detail retrieval.

Treble:
The FA-10's treble is silky and smooth without any hint of harshness. The body and weigth
of the midrange is still apparent in this region. This means it sounds not thin in a good way.
There are many planars with a light and weightless treble reproduction wich would
benefit from that. The Phonitor is smooth in this region too but a little more crisp and
there is more "air" and surprise-surprise more detail.

Soundstage and Layering:
The FA-10 delivers a coherent natural musical experience.
Width of the soundstage is very good, height also.
The depth is fine but not the strongest part of the presentation.
Layering is decent and clearly above average but everything is still connected
as a whole, difficult to describe.
This is the one point where the Phonitors professional roots are obvious.
The soundstage dimensions are not necessarily greater but especially in the depth
there are better defined layers and there's more space between every single sound/instrument.
The ammount of air in the highs leaves more space for the room information wich
improves the three-dimensional approach of each sonic event.

Conclusion:
All together the FA-10 is really exellent and every time I switched to
the Phonitor I was really surprised because I enjoyed the FA-10's sound so
much that I could hardly imagine any kind of improvement.

The time I ordered the FA-10 I thought it to be more of a raw beast slightly on the cold
side, based on the early reviews/comments. Now it shows up as a very refined amp tuned
slightly more towads the warm and smooth side. This is not what I need at this point
for my already smooth and full sounding LCD-3.
I need an amp with a dry and controlled but realy hard punch,
combined with a flat midrange and untamed treble, to inject new life to my LCD-3
wich is not in use anymore because it has gotten somewhat boring over time.

So there is only one logic solution:

I will sell my FA-10 ... but only inside EU (sorry!).
Everyone who is interested, feel free to contact me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back