Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Nov 2, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #946 of 2,598
Ok so I have finally listened to 800s during all the week end and I have a big problem, I don’t recover all the aspects that are often associated to HD800s:
- anemic bass? Not at all, it punch hard and even extend very low in the sub bass
- bright? Certainly not, ok I’m 47
- boring and chirurgical? What?! It is not at all, I had iem monitoring before (earsonics S-EM6v2) and I know what is chirurgical and boring
- diffuse, vague and artificial soundstage? Again not on my side, soundstage is spacious and airy, imaging is good, not artificially wide for me : it is still a headphone and to be honest I was a little disappointing at my first listening session.

So does the amp and dac pair really well with 800s ? For sure FA-10 is powerful (1.6w @300ohm, 1w @600ohm, 800s impedance can go to 700ohm) and as a very good class A amp has certainly the musicality that fit well with 800s.
Also Chord Mojo pair well with neutral headphones, that add a point to the synergy.

In fact I’m at a step where I see no interest to keep my HE6se: on A/B listening, HE6se that I think can sound big, suddenly it sounds ´intimate’ : and that is really the killing point for me. Timbre are a bit more natural and cleaner on 800s, but HE6se is very good also. The impact and slam of 800s is not so far behind HE6se.

Last, I’m on medium gain around 1o clock for 800s (it is the cleaner and effortless setting), I’m on high gain around 1o clock for HE6se, Mojo DAC output is 3v.

I’m quite interested to read other users feedbacks about 800s and FA-10 !
I should have my HD800S’s this week. Reading your post has me pumped to listen to them on my FA-10. Nice summation!

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #947 of 2,598
I should have my HD800S’s this week. Reading your post has me pumped to listen to them on my FA-10. Nice summation!

I see that you have a nice bunch of headphones, your 800s (with FA-10) feeling will be useful.

Nov 2, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #948 of 2,598
I see that you have a nice bunch of headphones, your 800s (with FA-10) feeling will be useful.
I have the old version of the HD 800-S, the HD 800... And after your impressions of the HD 800 S with FA 10, I'm tempted to buy FA 10 or 12, but I need a preamp feature and also I would like a 4,4 mm output (for the Sony Kimber cable) and a remote controler (for convenience, to use in a relax armchair). I'm waiting for the Volot, maybe will have those features (I don't know the 4,4 mm, because the Atlas don't have that type of conection).

Nov 3, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #949 of 2,598
Quick FYI, I spoke to flux and while they’re still keeping the final specs of the Volot close to their chest they did confirm it will be amp only cobfiguration and won’t have pre-amp, dac or streamer.

Nov 3, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #950 of 2,598
Quick FYI, I spoke to flux and while they’re still keeping the final specs of the Volot close to their chest they did confirm it will be amp only cobfiguration and won’t have pre-amp, dac or streamer.

Ps it may get a remote

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #952 of 2,598
Thank you very much, @teknorob23 :smile:

I have to admit i'm a bit sad about the lack of pre-amp on the Volot and i'd love the FA12 to have one too. I have mono blocks in my AV set up, so i'd love to get a bit FLA magic going straight through them, bypassing my primare receiver as well as my headfi set up

Nov 3, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #953 of 2,598
I have a Liquid Platinum as well. It’s heavily modded, with upgraded caps, an upgraded volume pot, and I’m using adapters so I can use upgraded tubes from the 12UA7 family. I didn’t like the sound of it with stock tubes or in stock form. It lacked clarity, dynamics were soft, and it sounded muddy. Now, it’s one of the best amps I’ve heard. The upgrades let the LP breathe, improved dynamics, clarity and details.

It was my favorite amp until I got the FA-10. It still does some things better than only tubes can do. Like provide a 3D soundstage, airy treble, and provide a even more meaty midrange, with superb bass impact depending on tubes used. Also depending on tubes, it can almost match the dynamics of the FA-10 with one caveat, it needs to be modded. Otherwise, I would say pass on it and go straight for the FA-10. You get everything that a modded LP can do right out of the box.

I am listening to the FA-10 vs. modded LP and am quite surprised how similar they are in overall character. I am running HD600 and HE6 off of both and am having a hard time deciding which is preferable. The chain is mac mini>Bifrost MB w/Unison>FA-10/LP(7730 tubes). Like you said the LP has the advantage on soundstage, and having the ability to roll tubes and change the overall character but the FA10 takes it on dynamics and impact and detail. I dont get the same sense of sounds coming from outside the headphone space like I can with the LP, but it is a tough choice to pick which one I like more.

The FA10 is interesting in its power curve. So much attenuation is found from 0-noon, then the ramp up is quick. If the specs did not indicate 16watts of power, I would not have guessed it was the case. The LP has such a high gain that it almost seems to have the same if not more power on tap. I also notice that there is no completely silent position on the volume knob on medium or high gain. Low volume listening is a better experience on the FA-10 due to the superior channel matching over the LP, and low level dynamics are better.

If shopping between the two you are in a good position because you could not go wrong either way. If you want the flexibility of tubes the LP is an amazing amp (modded). For a great dynamic delivery and similar yet SS delivery, the FA10 is where I would be looking. I am now faced with the decision to keep the LP or sell it and pick up the FA10. A lot will depend on how the Flux responds to modding!

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #954 of 2,598
I have to admit i'm a bit sad about the lack of pre-amp on the Volot and i'd love the FA12 to have one too. I have mono blocks in my AV set up, so i'd love to get a bit FLA magic going straight through them, bypassing my primare receiver as well as my headfi set up
Maybe I'll go for the Atlas if the $/€ conversion is fair and will elude taxes on shipping... But I don't know if there is a comparison against FA 10/12 and the Volot (the Atlas amp). I lose the 4,4 mm conecction for the Sonys (Z7 and Z1R), but I think I can get a XLR cable similar to the Kimber (or I think there is a Kimber variant with XLR end), because I want to use silver and copper cables with the Sonys.

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #955 of 2,598
The FA10 is interesting in its power curve. So much attenuation is found from 0-noon, then the ramp up is quick.

Same with the FA-12. Low, mid, and high gain all max out around 12-1 o'clock with ZMF Eikons. It's the only thing I'm not a big fan of.

Anyone experience the volume relay getting caught between 2 steps and it will click back and forth?

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #956 of 2,598
A lot will depend on how the Flux responds to modding!

Now isn't that the million dollar question? I can't wait to find out how that pans out! As for the toss-up regarding which one of the two amps to keep or let go, there is also the option of keeping both for the different listening flavors they each offer, especially since they're both so reasonably priced. No?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #957 of 2,598
Same with the FA-12. Low, mid, and high gain all max out around 12-1 o'clock with ZMF Eikons. It's the only thing I'm not a big fan of.

Anyone experience the volume relay getting caught between 2 steps and it will click back and forth?

Yes I have, fla suggested as a fix: unplug headphones switch the amp off then on again, once back on turn the knob repeatedly and quickly full on/off. This fixed mine, but it has happened a few times.

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #958 of 2,598
Now isn't that the million dollar question? I can't wait to find out how that pans out! As for the toss-up regarding which one of the two amps to keep or let go, there is also the option of keeping both for the different listening flavors they each offers, especially since they're both so reasonably priced. No?
The thought has crossed my mind! I also am trying my best to stick with a single setup at home and on at work so the real question for myself is, FA10 or LP at home, then deciding which one to replace my GLMK2 at work (still waiting on power supply). The Flux is easily better, but harder to pass off as an office desk system. The GLMK2 with Modi 3 is a great desktop setup that I do not worry about leaving in the office. I am still surprised how big this thing is!
image.jpg

Nov 3, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #959 of 2,598
The thought has crossed my mind! I also am trying my best to stick with a single setup at home and on at work so the real question for myself is, FA10 or LP at home, then deciding which one to replace my GLMK2 at work (still waiting on power supply). The Flux is easily better, but harder to pass off as an office desk system. The GLMK2 with Modi 3 is a great desktop setup that I do not worry about leaving in the office. I am still surprised how big this thing is!
image.jpg
Yes, that it is (huge!). :relaxed: :relaxed::relaxed:

Nov 3, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #960 of 2,598
I am listening to the FA-10 vs. modded LP and am quite surprised how similar they are in overall character. I am running HD600 and HE6 off of both and am having a hard time deciding which is preferable. The chain is mac mini>Bifrost MB w/Unison>FA-10/LP(7730 tubes). Like you said the LP has the advantage on soundstage, and having the ability to roll tubes and change the overall character but the FA10 takes it on dynamics and impact and detail. I dont get the same sense of sounds coming from outside the headphone space like I can with the LP, but it is a tough choice to pick which one I like more.

The FA10 is interesting in its power curve. So much attenuation is found from 0-noon, then the ramp up is quick. If the specs did not indicate 16watts of power, I would not have guessed it was the case. The LP has such a high gain that it almost seems to have the same if not more power on tap. I also notice that there is no completely silent position on the volume knob on medium or high gain. Low volume listening is a better experience on the FA-10 due to the superior channel matching over the LP, and low level dynamics are better.

If shopping between the two you are in a good position because you could not go wrong either way. If you want the flexibility of tubes the LP is an amazing amp (modded). For a great dynamic delivery and similar yet SS delivery, the FA10 is where I would be looking. I am now faced with the decision to keep the LP or sell it and pick up the FA10. A lot will depend on how the Flux responds to modding!
I can’t wait to hear if there are any improvements to the sound. I’m guessing there will be as performance of the FA-10 can only improve from the mod. The FA-10 has outstanding tone, body and weight to its sound for a solid state amp. That is what has me in love with it. If the mod gets me more sound stage width, depth, and air then the FA-10 could very well be the ultimate amp and it’s already moved to the top of my list for amplification.

The jump in gain from medium to high is very minimal. I think Flux Labs could have gotten away with only a low and high gain on the FA-10. Majority of my listening is done on low gain anyway. I’m finding the more the amp breaks in, the more the sound is starting to evolve and get more powerful, open sounding. It’s only when I listen to my Susvara’s and TC’s that more gain is needed to make them come alive.

The LP needs a gain switch, period. The jump in volume once you get to the 11 o’clock position is ridiculously high. But you’re right about them sounding equally as powerful and having a very similar delivery sound wise. It’s the dynamics, impact and slam that’s reels you in with the FA-10. I’ve never had an amp control the drivers quite like the FA-10 does. It has just as much driver control as my Burson Timekeeper power amp. That’s an impressive feat to say the least, which by way is completely filled with Elna Silmic II caps :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back