Flu & Sore throat combo
Aug 24, 2004 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

N@Z

1000+ Head-Fier
Don't you just love your voice when you get a sore throat with flu (coughing sneezing & feverish type). Mine sounds so throbby & deep that colleagues at the office had to do a double take to make sure it was me that was talking. A little embarrasing when female co-workers say "Ohh you voice sounds so sexy." I was so self conscious of the sound reverberations when I had to talk during a meeting!

The downside of course is the pain & misery since I can't take the day off work because of work committments. It's the constant need to cough & clear the throat that's causing this amusing side effect.

Hey Baybeh... Barry White in the house ya'll. Mumble, mumble, mumble...

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Oh shame on you for using your voice at all! Be as kind as you can to your vocal chords. I know how it feels, since I had the flue for like a month last year, but clearing your throat all day is the worse thing for your vocal chords - at least according to my old voice teacher. If you must do something, then coughing would be better.

I know I know, it's impossible to _not_ try to clear your throat, just keep it in mind to be careful, and that coughing is slightly better if you have a choice. I know she's not a doctor, but I found my voice teacher always gave good advice. And she was one of the best voice teachers for soprano voice in the state. Actually though, her advice for voice was sound for all voice types.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by N@Z
Don't you just love your voice when you get a sore throat with flu (coughing sneezing & feverish type). Mine sounds so throbby & deep that colleagues at the office had to do a double take to make sure it was me that was talking. A little embarrasing when female co-workers say "Ohh you voice sounds so sexy." I was so self conscious of the sound reverberations when I had to talk during a meeting!

The downside of course is the pain & misery since I can't take the day off work because of work committments. It's the constant need to cough & clear the throat that's causing this amusing side effect.

Sorry to hear of your misery. What kind of company do you work for that won't let you take some sick days to get some rest?

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by N@Z
A little embarrasing when female co-workers say "Ohh you voice sounds so sexy."

Hehe... sorry to mock this a bit (I know, flu sucks...), but I had a sore throat from screaming at camp this year. Not really sore, but my throat was irritated enough that my voice deepened by at least one octave. I actually enjoyed it, as I could sing bass for songs I never could before. Rather fun. But then, sadly, it cleared up in a few days... But yeah, you do get more female attention. Odd.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Aug 25, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by N@Z

Two good "treatments" for this that I grew up with. First, heat up some Jack Daniels and add a bit of rock candy. Makes one heckuva cough syrup! The second is a bit more difficult to make depending on where you live and who you know. Take your favorite citrus fruit(mine is basic orange). Take a syringe(TB or insulin will do fine) filled with some good 'ol southern moonshine and inject the citrus....you'll have to determine what amount of 'shine suits you. Allow to stand for a couple of hours(you can speed it up by massaging the fruit to spread the 'shine throughout the orange), chill and enjoy!

While it may not be a "cure", you certainly won't mind being sick. As a matter of fact, you will either start to enjoy it or forget about it altogether!
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Sorry to hear of your misery. What kind of company do you work for that won't let you take some sick days to get some rest?

It's a long story but I should be able to get off work tomorrow, I feel a fever coming on. The coughing is getting worse & when I pronouncing certain words only air comes out. The guys at the office sure are having a good laugh at my expense. Hehehe, I'm sure after 1 week incubation period one of them is bound to pick up the virus from me!

Above all else I must visit Head-Fi first before I go & curl up into a little ball.

Aug 25, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Two good "treatments" for this that I grew up with. First, heat up some Jack Daniels and add a bit of rock candy. Makes one heckuva cough syrup! The second is a bit more difficult to make depending on where you live and who you know. Take your favorite citrus fruit(mine is basic orange). Take a syringe(TB or insulin will do fine) filled with some good 'ol southern moonshine and inject the citrus....you'll have to determine what amount of 'shine suits you. Allow to stand for a couple of hours(you can speed it up by massaging the fruit to spread the 'shine throughout the orange), chill and enjoy!

While it may not be a "cure", you certainly won't mind being sick. As a matter of fact, you will either start to enjoy it or forget about it altogether!
biggrin.gif

We singers believe in old wives' tales - that one could work! Give it a try!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back