floyd quality!
Sep 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jimejam

New Head-Fier
why does pink floyd albums sound so much better than any other albums on my headphones?yet u2 no line in the horizon among other albums I own  has a mid bass issues.My headphones are shure 840 and I love sound sound from top to bottom on these phones other than that mid bass issue.Is it just the fact that these are monitoring headphones that reveal bad recordings.Do the 940 phone have this issue?

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 8
What mid-bass issue is this? The 840 (or 940) don't have much of a mid-bass hump. Objectively that's a good thing, but combined with a fair sub-bass roll-off they're going to lack punch on poorly mastered albums.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
What mid-bass issue is this? The 840 (or 940) don't have much of a mid-bass hump. Objectively that's a good thing, but combined with a fair sub-bass roll-off they're going to lack punch on poorly mastered albums.

it sounds like symblance (I dont know if I spelled that correctly or not)or distortion

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:

Actually I found the 840 mid-bass definitely had a hump - quite noticeable too once I'd heard a few other cans.  The 940 on the other hand extends really (scarily in fact) well - but I thought it was slightly light on the mid-bass.

OP - sibilance refers to the "sssss" sound you can sometimes get (especially with higher voices - often female) - usually found on cans that are 'treble happy'.   I never found it with either the 840 or 940.  The 940 have a lighter sounding bass than the 840 - mainly because of the absence of the mid-bass hump.  The sub-bass is better on the 940's though - more defined and more present.

Are you sure you're not referring to bass distortion?  That could be the bitrate your music is ripped to, or clipping.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Actually I found the 840 mid-bass definitely had a hump - quite noticeable too once I'd heard a few other cans.  The 940 on the other hand extends really (scarily in fact) well - but I thought it was slightly light on the mid-bass.

OP - sibilance refers to the "sssss" sound you can sometimes get (especially with higher voices - often female) - usually found on cans that are 'treble happy'.   I never found it with either the 840 or 940.  The 940 have a lighter sounding bass than the 840 - mainly because of the absence of the mid-bass hump.  The sub-bass is better on the 940's though - more defined and more present.

Are you sure you're not referring to bass distortion?  That could be the bitrate your music is ripped to, or clipping.

actually these are the actual cds Im listening to through my onkyo reciever to my headphones

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 8
It's a very different sound to the 840.  Quite bright, but warm and sweet rather than excessively sharp and airy.  Can be construed as bass light.  Definitely takes some time to get used to them.

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 8
I can certainly agree that Pink Floyd albums sound amazing. :wink: How loud are you listening? If you can't figure it out, take a break from them for a couple of days and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back