Florida Meet Impressions: June 9&10th
Jun 12, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #121 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Al, do you mean these beauties?
biggrin.gif

E5DD8926_filtered.jpg

That is SO WRONG.

My wife looked over my shoulder and said "those don't look so bad, why don't you get something like that instead of your junky stuff?"

uh...i have a HP2...

mad.gif

Jun 12, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #123 of 287
Quote:

Everybody who went to the Bamboo Room to see Eric Culberson Sat night, I'd make this a poll, but I don't want to become AdamFlorida, so I will simply ask the question, should stevieo change his Head-Fi name to stevio_second_set?

I say, yes.

brutus, & you too?

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #124 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Tyrion sporting the coolest shirt at the meet
eggosmile.gif

Mind if I ask where you got it?

Also who brought the HE60? A headphone I'm really looking forward to hearing someday, and I'd love to hear what people thought of it (didn't see a single comment about it in this thread). Thanks!

I traded my brother in law. I gave him my Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes cd, which I've already replaced. He bought the shirt at Old Navy. I have a pair of HE60's which sounded great out of the McAllister and Egmont.

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #125 of 287
My Headphone pictures:

Senheisser Orpheus (HE90)
FLMeet-June2006_047s.JPG

Gene's perfectly preserved Grado HP-1000.
FLMeet-June2006_053s.JPG

The following pic is very similar to Flecom's, our cameras were side by side when we took that pic:
FLMeet-June2006_010s.JPG

Grado GS-1000 and HF-1
FLMeet-June2006_019s.JPG

Audio Technica L3000
FLMeet-June2006_006s.JPG

AKG K701
FLMeet-June2006_011s.JPG

AKG K340
FLMeet-June2006_064s.JPG

Sony Qualia
FLMeet-June2006_020s.JPG

I'm realizing that didn't take enough pics. Didn't take one of the SA5000 for example, nor the HE60's and some other headphones and rigs. Will keep posting, my amp pictures coming...

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #126 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
That is SO WRONG.

My wife looked over my shoulder and said "those don't look so bad, why don't you get something like that instead of your junky stuff?"

uh...i have a HP2...

mad.gif

Harsh! Yours might not look as sweet as Pretty Boy Gene's pair, but they still sound great! Come to think of it, though, doesn't that give you the right to go find a beautiful pair of HP-1/2s or maybe some nice shiny PS-1s?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Those are the ones I wanted to hear some more about, Gene. I appreciate people's additional comments on them and the HA-1 amp--I was really curious to hear how that old timer performs for you. I also want to hear the PS Audio amp, which I somehow failed to locate and listen to in NYC.

Thanks also to those who posted additional comments on the Cayin and the EC-01, which seem like natural competitors. Johnny Num Nums (seems like the logical evolution of his handle: jp11801-->johnny#s--johnny numbers-->johnny nums) gives the nod to the cheaper EC-01, which is interesting. I have heard that one and thought it was a good value for the money but not the most refined/resolving of amps. I thought the Cayin might beat it on those two criteria at least. I'm still dying to hear a higher-end Moth or Eddie Current amp, like Num Nums' beauty, but they never seem to be at meets where I am at.

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #128 of 287
Here my amp pictures:

Moth Audio
sFLMeet-June2006_060.JPG

McAlister
sFLMeet-June2006_065.JPG

Ear Max Pro Anniversary Edition
sFLMeet-June2006_043.JPG

sFLMeet-June2006_007.JPG

Jan Meier Aria and Marantz SA8260
sFLMeet-June2006_036.JPG

sFLMeet-June2006_066.JPG

Rega Ear
sFLMeet-June2006_041.JPG

Hornet (boy is this amp small)
sFLMeet-June2006_056.JPG

Flecom's Dynamight
sFLMeet-June2006_068.JPG

My Dynahi
sFLMeet-June2006_045.JPG

I have pics of the Cayin amp too but took them at Oz place, will post them when posting all those pics together.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #129 of 287
Well, here I am, two time zones away and after a hell of a flight to San Franciso and a drive up to Sacramento, I finally managed to find some time to post my thoughts on the meet days. First off, you guys over there in Florida, stay safe and ride out the storm. Good luck, fellas !!

As has been documented and commented in the last 7 pages, the two days of the meet were a blast, and lived up to the standards of previous So Flo meets. It was sad that Matt had to sit this one out with bad health. We certainly missed you, Guru and I should say - Ray !!
biggrin.gif
Ray is such a fun to have around, particularly with the combination above. Hopefully we will meet soon.
icon10.gif

Friday night's GTG at LTBS was wonderful, and I wish I could have spent more time listening to the concert videos. It was great to see many familiar faces after my long hiatus from all things Head-fi. Guys were in great spirits (literally), and every time I listen to Vinyl on Oz's VPI HRX turntable and System Audio speakers in that wonderfully acoustically setup demo room of Oz's, I get goosebumps. Thank you for the privilege, Oz !!

The meet day proper was great, too. For me, the meets are more about meeting and chatting with fellow audio nuts, than it is about listening to great and rare equipment with the intent of forming an objective opinion. As they say, short listening sessions only yield impressions short of much merit. I did my best to listen to some gear that I had a hunch I would like.

1. Guss2's Sony SCD-1 with Wayne's Egmont and MikeG's McAlister amps powering the Senn HE90s, HE60 and Stax Omega-II. This was literally my listening post, as the McAlister amp literally blew me away with the detail and command with which it drove the Senn HE90s, and head-banging rock never sounded better on any headphones, least of all Sennheiser phones!! The Egmont amp was also pretty good too, though my listening impressions of its performance were tainted by some troubles with MikeG's HE90s. Great stuff overall from this combination of gear.

2. Raul's modded Tosh and work-in-progress Dynahi were also pretty good for their price. Raul and I did a comparison test of the Tosh's DAC feeding its RCA outs and the Tosh's digital coax output routed through the Bel Canto DAC2. We used an identical pair of Senn HD-650s with a Zu cable (slightly different cable lengths), but with the same interconnects. The results showed that Bel Canto DAC2's output gave a wider soundstage and better seperation between instruments with a slightly emhasized highs, while the Tosh's internal DAC suffered from slightly compressed soundstage, but a smoother "meatier" sound. The two DACs were however so closely matched that the slight difference in soundstage and separation was very minute in the grand scheme of how good the music sounded.

3. I also listened to the Original CD player powering the HP2s out of a Grado RA-1 amp, and I was frankly underwhelmed with the overall performance. I preferred the sound of the "woodied Grado HF-1s" out of the same setup, as it sounded more musical, while the HP2s sounded too sterile. Perhaps the combination of the equipment and the music was not very synergistic for the HP2s, but I will never know.

4. I also saw and listened to the Grado GS-1000s for the first time, and their sound almost reminded me of electrostatics. It sort of sounded like an RS-1 on steroids, but at the same time not in the league of an Omega-II or an R-10.
rolleyes.gif

5. I also listened to MikeG's Marantz universal player powering the Sony R-10s through a Corda Aria amp and the Bel Canto DAC2. I forgot what interconnects were used, but the setup sounded a bit bright. Once again I would chalk that up to a combination of the synergy of components.

Finally, I am glad that I met all of the old timers after a long time. It's always a pleasure to talk to Gene, Wayne, Stevio and Mike. Gary, Mark (Susnick), Johnny Numbers, Solberg, Vicki and Raul, it was great meeting you. Mark, it was great talking to you.

Oh, BTW, Vicki, though we never "officially" talked to each other, I'd like to say that you are a welcome addition to our group, and you have a fine taste in music.

Finally, I invited a couple of acquaintances from AVS Forums to check out our hobby, and four people showed up. Eric, Yuri, Sunil and Pete have expressed their thanks to our group for the opportunity. Music lovers and musicians in their own merit, I hope I helped plant the seeds of head-philia in them !!
580smile.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #130 of 287
Well, I've been really lazy about giving my impressions from the meet. There were many more experienced ears there, so please take all of my opinions with the proverbial grain of salt.

First off, thank you Mike for arranging a very successful event, and John for recommending the awesome blues bar that we attended at the evening. It was nice to finally meet Gene, and he lives up to the high reputation that proceeds him. Gary, I was glad to meet another Tool fan at the meet, and I'm glad you brought your copy of 10,000 days - I can't believe I forgot mine. Migeul, it was nice to hang out with my building neighbor. You'll have to visit sometime again, I think genoa likes someone new to throw her ball. Wayne, I checked out those MBL speakers and WOW! It would have taken me sometime to figure out those were speakers at all if I weren't forewarned. I enjoyed speaking to all of the techies of the group - Frank, Raul, and Mark, and hopefully I can get some more tips as I try to improve my diy skills. Vickie it was nice meeting you, and I'm glad to see a new member so excited about the hobby. Mikeg, thank you for bringing those lovely R10's again, easily my favorite headphones and a real treat to listen to. I also think you have quite an amp in that McAlister, and that it shouldn't be easily dismissed. I didn't have the chance to hang out at Oz's on Friday, but I really appreciate him opening up his shop for us and allowing us to demo his equipment at the meet. I need to go back to his shop someday to pick up some more vinyl and listen to his sweet back room setup. And finally Stevieo, sorry if I made you a little uneasy during the blues performance Sat. night. I'll be watching my back at the next meet, but it was totally worth it, lol.

Here are my quick thoughts on gear:

The one setup that sticks quite clearly in my mind was Johns (jp numbers). I sat down and listened to a couple of my tool albums and was mesmerized. I wasnt' even using a multi-thousand dollar set of headphones with them, just my trusty, old 580's. The combination of the vpi and the moth is amazing in every way, but what really stuck out for me was how real and present the drums were. It was the most realistic sounding drums I have ever heard reproduced.

I spent a lot of time listening to Gene's new HP-2's through the Earmax Pro Anniversary. What a great combo! I should have wrote down what my feelings were at that time, but I just remember feeling very satisfied while listening to it.

I spent a lot of time comparing the Qualia's to the leatherheads. I had a real tough time ascertaining a preference, until i finally decided that the leatherheads had a softer edge to them than the Qualias. People told me that these are two very different sounding headphones, so apparently my critical listening skill is a bit lacking.

I listened to a lot of tool from Gary's sacd player to the McAlister and Egmont amps. It took me a lot of time to come up with a preference, but I finally decided (after untangling the HE90 cords to figure out which amp I was hearing) that I liked the McAlister more. I think I might be the only person who felt this way, but its sound signature (which had a stronger sense of immediacy) seemed to be more appropriate for tool.

Altogether a great event, and really the blues performance was the highlight of my day. The Bamboo Room is an awesome venue, and I have already gotten other friends excited to check the place out. I apologize if I missed anyone in the beginning, but I enjoyed meeting everyone at the event.

EDIT: Ah, Raaj, I knew I forgot somebody! Nice meeting you as well, bud.

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #131 of 287
Guys,
Look like a great meet. BTW, how did the L3000 out of the Accuphase and what was the amp driving the L3000?

Thanks.

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #132 of 287
tyrion said:
There is nothing cold about this amp. He and I disagree about this. Agile_one seemed to like it. I am hoping some others speak up that heard it. I am going to try to tube roll it a bit next weekend to see what effect it will have.

Hello again cool dudes & dudettes! If I may contribute my two cents...

I agree with Mike that the Cayin is not cold sounding. Not to these ears anyways. Having said that, I must admit I did not find the sound of the Cayin at the convention as impressive as what I feel I get at the shop. Weird? Well, maybe not.

I have thought about this long and hard and it finally dawned on me there were variables that, while insignificant on the surface, we cannot ignore. And they are:

1. Input source
2. Power cord
3. AC power, its filtration and conditioning.

Mmm...

Additionally I should qualify that I only heard my setup briefly only with my AKG-501's and an unbroken-in Naim CD5x (this is important to bring up since it may also help explain why a greater difference was not perceived between this unit and Mike's CD5i, just maybe). Did any of you hear the Cayin through the Rega Apollo and did you feel the sound was warmer? Just curious (for the record I play a nicely broken-in Cyrus CD6 to good effect).

I guess the point is that even at this level *everything* counts. From the power cord, to the line conditioner, interconnects, and even the quality of the AC wall receptacle, right John? Sometimes it's a game of fine tuning to-the-max to achieve the desired effect -- like playing with mo'better toobs!

But regardless of my nitpicking, I am glad to hear some of you still heard good sounds reproduced from it. Should any of you in S. Florida require it please feel free to stop by anytime and spend better quality time with it.

And I certainly look forward to Tyrion's willingness to tube roll with it as we might be in for bigger & better things.

Regards,

Oz

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #133 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
Guys,
Look like a great meet. BTW, how did the L3000 out of the Accuphase and what was the amp driving the L3000?

Thanks.

The Accuphase DP-77 was feeding a Blockhead with its balanced outputs, and a PS Audio GCHA daisy chained to the EarMax Pro AE from the single ended outs.

The L3000's spent most of their time with the GCHA and EMP AE, but did make several tours of the room to try with other setups. They were amazing with Johnny #'s Scout -> Moth 2A3.

The Leatherheads were quite at home, and sounding fine from both the EMP and GCHA out of the Accuphase player, as that is their natural habitat. To me, of course, they sound wonderful, but I have "proud owner bias".
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #134 of 287
Quote:

I have now adopted these as the 10 commandments of audio excellence:
<snip>
#10 is the "fun to listen to." You have managed to sum up all the good things we are seeking in an understandable and concise manner, Oz. Thanks for the enlightenment.

(ooh, I think I understand how to quote properly now)

My pleasure Gene. I would like to add a descriptive to #6: Harmonic richness (BODY)

To me when something is "harmonically rich" it usually translates into the instruments, vocal or otherwise, possessing a fair amount of body. I love sounds that you can sink your teeth into like a thick juicy steak. Yum yum!
eggosmile.gif

Regards,

Oz

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #135 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Man I really liked the sound out of:

FLMeet-June2006_020s.JPG

I hope to hear soon from stevieo with the information.
evil_smiley.gif

mrarroyo,

at least someone at that meet has some class besides me. i will try to find out something in the next day or two. i have not forgotten about it & i still have your contact info.

& do not believe anything nightwoundstime or wmcmanus have to say about me. it is all lies, lies, lies.

s.o.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back