Floorstanding Speakers OR Studio Monitors?
Nov 18, 2010 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

abhijollyguy

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Guys, I am in dilemma that whether to chose studio Monitors or Floorstanding Speakers for my Plasma Television. If it's floorstanding speakers so I have chosen two Floorstander Speakers as my budget is under $1000:

1. Paradigm Monitor 7 Floorstanding Speaker
2. Polk Audio TSi500 Floorstanding Speaker

Also please note that My room is 180 sq. ft. and I will listen to these speaker from about 8-10ft. max.

Now come to my sound preferences - I need deep, tight and punchy bass with vocals like singer or dialogues are coming from the speakers as singer or artist is singing or speaking right next to me. Treble should be smooth only coz I detest sibilance and I detest boomy bass aka boom boom yuckkkkkk.

So which will be the ideal for this 180 sq. ft. room with 8-10ft. listening distance? Floorstanders or bookshelves aka studio monitors????

An early reply is requested.

Regards.......

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 10
"Studio Monitors" are usually better suited for near-field listening.  That may or may not be a factor depending on how you have your home theater setup.

Floor-standing speakers tend to (but not always) have larger woofers, which could help to augment your subwoofer.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 10
Peruse my full main post again coz I have editted it in detail.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 10
Another option would be a 2.1 system with two bookshelves speakers and a subwoofer.

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #6 of 10
Nov 18, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 10
Can any head-fi'er help me ????

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #8 of 10
I vote for the 2.1 as well.

The hardest frequencies to reproduce well for speakers once you get beyond the entry quality level is bass. This is because good bass places demands on physical design and available power that most speakers simply can't fulfill well.

Here's my recommendation:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html for about $600 including shipping.

http://www.lavasubs.com/12_inch/powered_home_subwoofer.html Not sure what the shipping is.

The resulting sound will cover the entire spectrum much better than any floor standing speakers in the <$1k segment.

Jack

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
What does it mean?

Quote:
Huge open baffle DIY contraptions sitting deep into the room ... :)

Quote:
Can any head-fi'er help me ????

Open baffle means exactly that: the drivers are mounted on a baffle without an enclosure behind them.  This design depends on the baffle being of an appropriate shape and size to avoid premature low frequency roll off due the drivers essentially flapping around in free air and the back waves cancelling the front waves.

There are a lot of benefits claimed for OB designs, some of which are interesting, some of which are not so interesting. They sound different because the back waves are not eliminated and bounces around the room before reaching the listener. Some people call this airy and spacious, some call it poor speaker design; suffice to say, open baffle performance is more dependent on room layout and placement than normal speakers.

Jack

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 10
I don't think this is the right forum on headfi to ask this question, the moderator might move this post.  You might get more responses, and definitely be able to do some in depth reading and searching at AudioAsylum.  

Two of the most important factors involved when selecting a speaker are the room you are going to use, and the amplifier you are going to use to drive them.  Do you already have an amplifier, or are you going to need to purchase one of those as well?  

It may seem that you are saving space and cost by going with a stand mount speaker, but a good stand is essential, adds to the cost, and takes up space, as much as a small floorstander.

I am not familiar with the speakers you have mentioned, but one that you might consider is the Silverline Prelude.

The new NHT floorstander for $1000 reviewed on stereophile this month is worth investigating.

In your price range, many people say that Magnepans are difficult to beat, the MMG through the MG12 are in about your range.

Vandersteen 1C's might be worth looking at as well.  I have only heard their more expensive models, and every one I have heard impressed me.

I personally like powered monitors.  Because they are not made for the audiophile home market, they have a different parts to cost ratio and generally offer a better value.  Adam and Dynaudio both make monitors in your price range.  If you only listen to digital, haven't already bought an amplifier, only want 2 or 2.1 channels, and are willing to forgo a remote volume control, I think the absolute best bang for your buck would be a Lavry DA10 or Benchmark DAC and Adam A7 or Dynaudio BM series active speakers.  Around $2300 or so altogether. Add in an inexpensive Blu-ray player (oppo?), some stands, and some Mogami pro XLR interconnects, and you have a great system.  This is of course, different from what you asked and might not be the answer you are looking for, but I thought it was worth saying.

Best of luck in your search.  Get out to shops that let you listen, and then do some comparisons.  If you can get to a hi fi retailer during the day during the week, you might find that they will let you listen and compare speakers in your price range as much as you would like.  You might walk out the door with speakers you feel good about because you chose them based on how you like them instead of what some schlub from the internet says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back