Floored by Evanescence
May 9, 2003 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Trawlerman

A British ingredient in our rockin' international gumbo.
In my many hours of trawling the net for some decent music, I came across a new band that took my interest.

EVANESCENCE and their new debut album FALLEN.

I'm listening to the ablum as I type and it's breathtaking. It's a heavyish rock album with gothic overtones. Not normally my sort of music and a million miles away from my staple diet of bluegrass but somehow very enticing.

The lead singer is a girl called Amy Lee and she has a voice that is just amazing. She has a voice that evokes singers such as Tori Amos. I'm sure i'll have plenty of late nights listening to this one.

1. Going under
2. Bring me to life
3. Everybody's fool
4. My immortal
5. Haunted
6. Tourniquet
7. Imaginary
8. Taking over me
9. Hello
10. My last breath
11. Whisper

Track 4 - "My Imortal" is a heart wrenchingly beautiful song. It almost has a celtic vibe to it. The piano and the strings are wonderful. This track was used in the recent movie - "Daredevil" so some of you may have already heard it.

Sound As Ever

May 9, 2003 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 26
You would probaly like the band Lacuna Coil, you should check them out. A Good album to start with is In A Reverie

Similar style to Evanescence but IMO they do it much better, less Linkin Parkish..
wink.gif

May 9, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by BaronJack

Similar style to Evanescence but IMO they do it much better, less Linkin Parkish..
wink.gif

What's wrong with being Linkin Parkish? And you're talking about the Daredevil rap rock song only, not the ballad. Have you tried the whole album?

May 9, 2003 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 26
Evanescence has been playing on the radio for awhile now. The female vocals remind me of Nightwish (though not as beautiful as Nightwish), which is good. The music, however, reminds me of Linkin Park, which I've never really cared for, though I don't actively dislike them, either. I'm still undecided if I like Evanescence or not.

May 11, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 26
They're okay, I really like the one with the choir (is that "My Immortal"?), but the rest of the album just paled in comparison, IMHO. There are many other bands that do it better (hmm...this is beginning to sound like that Nightwish thread):

Tapping the Vein (Heather's voice is sublime, and has a wider range, from a little girl coo, to a jaded woman scream)
The Gathering (Anneke!)
Lacuna Coil (Cristina!)
Theatre of Tragedy (especially the last coupla albums) (I don't know her name!)
and, of course, Nightwish (Tarja!)

...go check out that Nightwish thread for more suggestions. Unless, of course, you're an Evanescence street teamer, which I kinda doubt.

May 12, 2003 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 26
The single Evanescence has out right now is great. I'm glad that someone is refining the female vox/goth/operatic/dark/black/insertotherpointlesshairsplittinglabelhere metal and taking it beyond its severe constraints. Lacuna Coil, The Gathering and their ilk just bore me to tears.

*watches KR running up in a huff while dusting off his 'My Definition of Metal is the Real Definition of Metal' songbook*

May 12, 2003 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 26
from the tracks i've heard they sound like linkin park with a girl singer. it's sad because i really like her voice too. whoever sings backup for her is horrendous, and the music just seems so lifeless and ********.

i'll wait for her solo album.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 26
The Female Lead Singer's voice is nice but the Linkin Park style of music seems more like a distraction.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2003 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 26
I listen to Linkin Park, and have been listening to their recent stuff a lot, and I would not say that single reminds me of Linkin Park, though I can see the connection with the male singer, but definitely not the female. I myself can't really get into Evanescence. Just something about it that doesn't click with me.

May 13, 2003 at 7:10 AM Post #10 of 26
I listened to the song "bring me to life" by evanesensce and there are certain parts of it that sounds like they were sampled by the linkin park song that is constantly being played these days. Sorry, I hate linkin park, and that much is enough for me to not listen to these guys ever again.

May 13, 2003 at 7:42 AM Post #11 of 26
More of the same that's been said here: really nice female vocals (horrible male back-up vocals on bring me to life) but crappy linkin park-esque music.

May 13, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 26
i couldn't remember who i was trying to think of, but my gf told me last night and i totally remember now. anybody ever heard of lennon? i think evanescence kind of totally ripped her off. they even look the same.

hahahah i just went to amazon to check out the lennon cd so i could remember the title, and they're packing it with the evanescence cd. i guess i'm not the only one who thinks they're alike.

B00005NOZV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

if anybody is unhappy with the sissy-ass wannabe-linkin parkness of evanescence, i'd suggest checking out her cd. it's sort of like evanescence, but with soul and balls.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 13, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 26
Yeah! Totally forgot about her. I saw her open for Stabbing Westward a while ago, she was awesome! Yup, she would fit right in with all the other music we are discussing in this thread.

(PS That might be another way to describe the music -- kind of Stabbing Westward guitar/industrial crossover with femme vox.)

May 13, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #15 of 26
Thanks guys, there is some great recommendations in this thread.

IMHO, regardless of wether Evanescence blatantly copied anybody elses style is purely subjective. What I would say is that anything that introduces people to other artists and encourages one to explore other genres cannot completely be a bad thing?

Often it is these fringe artists that give a taster for the more hardcore stuff.

Sound As Ever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back