Flooded by choices, need some guidance.
Jan 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GL1TCH3D

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been looking at headphones and asking a few people here and there their thoughts and I'm still not sure on a specific model.
I currently have the B&W P5 which I'll continue to use for portable use but I'm looking for a nice headphone I can use on the train, at the library and at home. Basically a phone I can transport and use with portable gear (iPhone 4 or iPod classic).
I'm not sure if open back would be a deal breaker for me... If I bought open back headphones I'd just keep them at home...
My price range is up to 550$.
Headphones I've been looking at:
Denon D7000
Ath-a2000x
Beyerdynamic T70
Sony mdr-sa5000
Sony mdr-z1000

I'm not a fan of IEMs so I'd like to stick with headphones. I have a pretty average head. My ears are not prone to discomfort. I can wear my P5s for several hours.
Music preference:
I listen to just about anything that suits me. Basically anything from dubstep to classical so I'd prefer all round headphones.

Thanks for any help.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 7
IMO phones the size of the Denon 7000, the Sony Z1000, and the like are simply too big and too delicate to
travel around with on the train and otherwise.  I really wouldn't want to get caught in a sudden downpour either
while wearing them.

But YMMV, of course.  :)

(My travel phones - the phones I wear while walking around, at the gym, etc - are Sennheiser HD25 i II.
Excellent sound, very durable, and about $200.00.)

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the response. I was looking for something full sized that's transportable meaning it wouldn't be a problem keeping them in a case and taking them out on the train or in the library. I have my P5s for portable use. I would never wear the d7k outside xD
That being said, I need them to be useable with portable equipment such as iPods and have little sound leaking but I'm still open to ideas for a home use only pair.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 7
I would also be afraid to whip out some of those you listed on a train. Too fragile and big. I'd go with something far more durable and compact like the Shure SRH840/940 or ATH M50.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 7
I would also be afraid to whip out some of those you listed on a train. Too fragile and big. I'd go with something far more durable and compact like the Shure SRH840/940 or ATH M50.

I don't like the m50 as much... not as clear as my P5s ( but bass is better). I heard the T70 and srh940 are similar which is why I'd go for the T70. I agree some of them are quite delicate like the sa5000 but some can still be transported in a case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back