Flood of K340s for sale?
Apr 15, 2006 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Strange, seems like everyone and his brother is selling a pair of K340s on the FS forums lately. Either it's the FOTM syndrome burning out, or people are finding them in their attics or something
tongue.gif
. Anyway, interesting...

Apr 15, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #3 of 18
I think a lot of people have one or more pairs and are selling off the one they don't want. I did the same thing and have an extra pair I will get rid of eventually, but I absolutely love mine and will not seel them ever. They sit on my shelf right next to my HF-1's.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 18
I just sold one locally yesterday, the reason is because I have 2 of them.

I bought 2 just to know what the difference is between the versions, and I know I will buy another one soon to know what's difference between the versions (I know of 3 versions).

Anyways, a friend of mine has a MPX3 Slam modded and HF1/DT880. We listened to all 3 headphones (his 2 and mine K340's) and the K340 were much better in akmost everything excluding bass punch. These are great phones with great value for the money!

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 18
What?! There are 3 confirmed versions now? Did I miss the thread about this? I too am also planning on purchasing another set to see if they're any different. Too much mystery surrounds this can.

Apr 15, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #7 of 18
3 versions I know about are as following:
- Green PCB Crossover.
- Brown PCB which looks very poorly made.
- Brown PCB which looks very professionally made.

There are other differences, but by using this way you can determine which one you have. I have compared the last 2 to each other yesterday (using MPX3 Slam with some mods) and the last one had a bit less punch in the bass, yet more detail and resolution.

I am currently looking for the first version to be sure about it as I havent heard it for sufficient time to determine exactly how good it is in each aspect. From what I can say so far it has even more bass, but less detail on the highs.

Apr 15, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 18
its more scary than curious...

Yesterday, me and a friend of mine were listening to two different versions of the K-340.
The scary thing is: I have a modded MPX-3 SLam, HF-1 and DT880.
And to top all that, we found that one version (the one that has AKG on top of the headband) has more punch in the bass, while the other one had less punch in the bass but more detail in the high's and resolution
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Who are you ?!?!

lol just kidding m8...

Apr 15, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88
Anyways, a friend of mine has a MPX3 Slam modded and HF1/DT880. We listened to all 3 headphones (his 2 and mine K340's) and the K340 were much better in akmost everything excluding bass punch. These are great phones with great value for the money!

Let's not forget their two major disadvantages... (A) They haven't been made in years, and (B) They require significant modding to match/beat the better recent cans. Given this, I'd say they aren't for everyone.

Apr 15, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 18
I don't think the headband actually tells you what version you have. For example, I received my K340s yesterday. My pair has the AKG logo on the headband, but I am pretty sure it's the bass-lite version compared to the other versions floating around. But besides that, I found them to be very good even in stock form: they have the sweet midrange that I was looking for.

I think I will mod them because they could serve their purpose as a closed/non-leaking phone very well for me. My K701s leak too much to use when other people are around or trying to study.

Apr 15, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 18
the K340's are amazing and beat everything in their price range (300$ or less) in resolution, detail, vocals, and everything else but bass slam with no mods added!

Apr 15, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Let's not forget their two major disadvantages... (A) They haven't been made in years, and (B) They require significant modding to match/beat the better recent cans. Given this, I'd say they aren't for everyone.

The main problem with them is that they really suit a specific category of music.
When guitar riffs get into play, its quite horrible sometimes for me to listen to it.
On quite songs is where thise cans really shine.
Classical, Soft music, Vocal, Orchestral, slow rock, blues, Trip Hop; they all sound superb with the K340.
Their only downside is the Bass punch.

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 18
to the original question, i think the sale wave just reflect the fact that the price is good now. It's just a good time to reap a little benefit of the phones sitting in the closets. They are good headphones in high demands but they are not for everyone.... better sale at high price than keeping them if you don't quite enjoy them.

Apr 16, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 18
They used to go for ~100$ in the for sale forumn so it makes sense now that they are selling for much more.

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back