Float electrostatics - amp loadI
Feb 11, 2016 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

martin778

100+ Head-Fier
I'm about to get myself a pair of JF electrostats, one of the latest models of the 'classic' series and i was wondering what kind of load does the PS-2 step-up box introduce to the amplifier, is 4, 8 or 16 ohm? Resistive of reactive?
I'm asking because I wanted to try it out with 8xPL519 OTL poweramp.

I did some research on them but I only found info saying that the optimum amp power to drive the Floats is 15W/channel and up...

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 12

I had JJ Float - model around 1984 and it worked perfectly fine with a variety of amps. I however did not use a tube amp. What it is is actually the same as a big electrostatic ls, namely provide dc high voltage tension and a transformator which increases tension on the signal side. Hence my guess is that the resistance as seen from the amp is reactive (e.g. the amps sees a condensator). Given the low poser needed I would not expect any problem. (Resistance 4-38Ohm phase +70deg at 400Hz to -50deg at 3kHz see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/265642-jecklin-float-electrostatic-troubleshooting.html page 2)

On a separate note - I loved this headphone, but at the same time it was an utter pain, since the box had to go about 1-2 a year to the manufacturer since over-tension destroyed the diodes to produce the high tension voltage for the stators. So my advice would be to either buy some reserve diodes to fix it yourself (nothing for me I guess given that input tension is 120/220V) or better to use the box after a device which limits the current for the JJ. 

Hope this is helpful

komi64

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the info, very appreciated!

I tried them on the OTL and they sounded fine. However when I started dismantling them to remove all rotten foam pieces I noticed a burnt hole inside one of the panels, booooo ;( .
Already emailed Quad Germany but I suspect an astronomical price for new panels.

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 12

Mine decomposed themselves in the mid 1990' so I have thrown them away which I regret very much. By now I am listening to Audeze and have Stax. My brother bought an Stax SR-9 and I thin JJ Float comes actually sound wise very close. I think the really impressing thing is the sheer size of the foil (7x10cm) which is much bigger than all the others and hence you have a very transparent and wide sound.

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 12
I liked these so much that I had 2 sets.  Unfortunately both developed problems with the drivers, and I finally sold them to someone who thought he could fix them.  He called them "head quads." 

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 12
Funny thing is that they worked fine at first, almost like the driver died right after the listening session.
Looks like an extreme case of "bad luck Bryan"

They did sound quite different than what Im used to - enormous soundstage and emphasis in on the 60-120Hz region is what comes to mind. Later on I tried them with an el cheapo 12V TA2024 pcb amp on a lab PSU(Good old PE1536) and the ammeter reading was 0.3A at max.

By the way, is it normal that the ears touch the metal grilles or should there be a certain distance between the ear and the mesh?

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 12
Watermelon sized, so this must be normal
beyersmile.png

I'm going to put a wanted ad in the classifieds for a new panel, who knows. It would be a shame to throw them away as the headband itself looks good and the PS-2 energizer is mint.
The fuses never went off so it couldn't be caused by clipping / overload, probably just an internal failure.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 12
Does anybode have Uwe Westerwelle's e-mail address? His site gives a not found error when I try to contact him through the form.

This is how the foil looked like after opening the driver:

By the way, it's not dirt since the driver is sealed on both sides. The coating looks like a graphite compound.

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 12
Just got a quote from Quad today-

- New panels : €170,- each, excluding 21% tax
- Refurbished panels: €100,- each, again - without tax
- New foampieces: €44 including shipping.

Not sure what to do...

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 12
Sent in your old panels (both of course!) and have them refurbrished and get new foam pieces as well.
Either you want to restore your Float to full glory or you don't, if the latter than don't waste any money and just dump them - either the trash or ebay.
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 12
  Just got a quote from Quad today-

- New panels : €170,- each, excluding 21% tax
- Refurbished panels: €100,- each, again - without tax
- New foampieces: €44 including shipping.

Not sure what to do...

Well worth the price in my opinion. I only wish I had found out about a service like this before I got rid of my Floats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back