Flexy stand & nyloc nuts - Help!
May 23, 2010 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Yaka

Head-Fier
hi all

i have been trying to build a tnt flexy stand but have decided to use nyloc nuts now wish i had relised how hard this would have been as i have found it hard to get the nuts in position. so far i have been using bench vice and a wrench and a lot of muscle the problem is that the rods keep rotating when i try to screw it in place tightening the bench vice any further damages the threads on the rod. anyone got any suggestions please?

May 24, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 8
use two regular hex nuts on the rod, tighten them together... this creates a "jam nut" then vice the jam nut... it wont spin. It even cleans up the threads when you remove them.

May 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 8
well thanks for the advice fellas after a week of trying i did it then found it to be a night mare to level it. so i got my dremel tool out and removed them. using hex nuts now and epoxy them once i had all levelled up.
also my flexy rack is no more as i needed a desk, so behold the flexy desk :)  (mind the pic quality its taken on my iphone)

current have 6 40k weights  on it just to make sure it wont collapse

May 31, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 8
i thought of  doing triangles but i didnt have any materials left. theres pleanty of mdf sheets in the place we have just moved to that has been left here everything i used cost me nothing apart from the spacers, and the hex nuts and the nyloc nuts that i couldn't use. the rods i salvaged from a skip not bad for something that cost me under £25 if you include the sand papper and the paint

as for humble hifi's take i would love to do that but the m24 rods,washers,nuts plus the sand adds to the costs a fair bit. plus i would need to buy or rent a router tool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back