Fleetwood Mac-- Say You Will DVD-A
May 18, 2003 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Wow is this one just amazing. What we have here is one half of a Lindsay Buckingham aborted solo project meshed with one half Stevie Nicks solo album. Mic Fleetwood and John McVie, the bands mainstays since the beginning and namesakes of the band seem to be more or less along for the ride. No matter, they're still incredible players.

Lindsay Buckingham and the people he works with tend to be very concerned with sound quality and it pays off here. The clarity of this recording is awesome. Some of the mixes are very complex, but the extended resolution of DVD-A keeps it together with a huge soundstage for all these sounds to inhabit. Lindsay Buckingham productions tend to have a sort of trade-mark "sheen" that doesn't come off in the limited rez of Redbook CD all the time. Here it sounds open and sweet, not grainy and "bright".

Anyway, the music is great, this is a classic band back together again on stride. Best thing they've done in years. IMO, this is a great disc to show off what DVD-A can do. Way recommended!

Mark

May 18, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 10
Hey Mark-
Thanks for the recommendation.

I am new to DVDA and finally broke down and bought a couple today. I must say it was not easy finding titles I was interested in hearing.

I would go into J&R, Tower and Best Buy and just stare at the racks of DVD-A and my eyes would glaze over...there is so little to choose from.

I ended up buying Aaron Neville's Believe, Crosby-Nash another Stoney Evening and the Eagles Hotel California.

I will add the FM title to my list.

John

May 18, 2003 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 10
JM, the Fleetwood Mac Rumors DVD-A is also phenomenal and every track really is a classic. Another DVD-A I can't reco enough is Buena Vista Social Club. Even if you don't think you'd be interested in the music of aging repressed Cuban musicians, this album is pure gold. Sound quality is immaculate, it's a very simple recording but so clear it's breathtaking. That music makes me feel great every time I listen to it, it's such an easy joyful sound.

Mark

May 18, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
JM, the Fleetwood Mac Rumors DVD-A is also phenomenal and every track really is a classic. Another DVD-A I can't reco enough is Buena Vista Social Club. Even if you don't think you'd be interested in the music of aging repressed Cuban musicians, this album is pure gold. Sound quality is immaculate, it's a very simple recording but so clear it's breathtaking. That music makes me feel great every time I listen to it, it's such an easy joyful sound.

Mark

I agree 100% with markl about the Buena Vista Social Club. It's an awesome DVD-A. A must own.

-Chad

May 18, 2003 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 10
Hey Mark
I assume many people play DVD-A through home theater system,
are there video images playing that match music? (I own no DVD-A and always wondered)

My local Best Buy has seperate isle now for DVD-A and SACD discs and actually right now its 50/50 split, didn't realize there were so many DVD-A.................is this another Betamax format debacle for Sony????

BTW have ordered some more new ROXY remasters (by Bob Ludwig), I had the limited edition "album replica" remaster of Avalon but those are a pain to store and get CD out, plus no booklet
frown.gif

May 18, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 10
DA,
Yes, there are extras on both Fleetwood Mac discs, and each song is also accompanied by a still photo of the band at work. I haven't looked at the extras yet on Say You will, but I believe Rumors has a "making of" video. I always opt to shut the video section down when I listen to DVD-As to increase audio fidelity, as I have a "pure audio" mode on my player.

did you get the Early Years Roxy? How'd that work out?

Mark

May 18, 2003 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

did you get the Early Years Roxy? How'd that work out?
Mark

It is on the way, purchased used at half.com, I listen to more ROXY and my top 3 albums now are:
1)Avalon (hands down)
2)Country Life
3)Flesh & Blood
3rd choice will raise some eyebrows since critics dismiss this as lounge pop album, but really it is very similar to Avalon just not quite as excellent.

May 19, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
1)Avalon (hands down)
2)Country Life
3)Flesh & Blood
3rd choice will raise some eyebrows since critics dismiss this as lounge pop album, but really it is very similar to Avalon just not quite as excellent.

Hey, Avalon is my #1, and Flesh & Blood #2. I agree totally with you -- it's like Avalon, Jr.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
It is on the way, purchased used at half.com, I listen to more ROXY and my top 3 albums now are:
1)Avalon (hands down)
2)Country Life
3)Flesh & Blood

Not at all, Flesh + Blood is a completely under-rated album. "My Only Love" is simply gorgeous (although I'm more fond of the live version).

May 26, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

JM, \Another DVD-A I can't reco enough is Buena Vista Social Club. Even if you don't think you'd be interested in the music of aging repressed Cuban musicians, this album is pure gold. Sound quality is immaculate, it's a very simple recording but so clear it's breathtaking. That music makes me feel great every time I listen to it, it's such an easy joyful sound.

Mark

Thanks Mark...I listened to this at a friend's house this afternoon...it is definately on the way to my music library.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back