FLC Technology - New FLC 8N - Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #241 of 304
We are doing nothing for now, FLC8d and FLC8n is not cuccessful, DD series are completely failure, we are reflecting now.

I once owned an FLC8S, and it was an amazing headset. The only complaint I had was from the cable, this has been reported by other members.

I also didn't have the patience to change so many settings.

Forrest you know how to make good adjustments, maybe a new project priced at around $ 100. With a very simple adjustment system, similar to the LZ system.

Another thing today is the very large amount of releases, some people value some reviewers, and only buy based on several positive comments.

To be honest, gauge reviewers have to create a certain Hype in the community.

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #242 of 304
I can say Celest is a top IEM in the world, it's to good to be recognized, it took part in many shows in China and Canjam, we got a conclusion that only the top veterans and the greed hands love it, so it's not sold very well.
We have sell record on Taobao, you can see the comments for refrence
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...f6nK90&id=564340612507&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail

I see that theres new updated reviews. i will go have a look. Thank you
Went for Singapore's canjam this year and Celeste was not available for audition
My current 8s cable had shed its skin to a full grey cable instead of the old dark blue lol.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #243 of 304
We are doing nothing for now, FLC8d and FLC8n is not cuccessful, DD series are completely failure, we are reflecting now.
I'm really sorry to hear this :frowning2: I recently toured the SoCal CanJam, testing out all the latest $3000+ "TOTL" IEMs, and I prefer the FLC8s/n/d to virtually all of them. I have a couple of suggestions. This might not be what you or the headfi masses want to hear, but I think you'll find there's a grain of truth in the following:

1) Your marketing is not nearly as good as your headphones. At least not on headfi. If I had a new headphone being released (8n, 8d, etc.), I'd make sure a few soundbites got out onto the interweb. It's not enough just to say "Here's two new headphones. They have newer BAs in them." So what? There are new headphones cascading onto the market every day. Give people a reason to buy or upgrade.
2) I think you price your headphones too low. So much of this subject relies on placebo effect. What do people expect to hear when listening to a $3000 IEM? What's the expectation when listening to a $150 IEM? :wink:

I've made this offer before - and I'm not wanting to get paid or receive free sample products here. I'd be very willing to help review your marketing material, correct any language/grammar issues and put it out on headfi. I love your products and want you to succeed. You've got the technical side nailed down, but you need to work on pricing a product that can be perceived as premium and then marketing it properly. IMHO. I sincerely wish you all the best and hope you can bounce back with your next product :)

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #244 of 304
It pains to know that FLC8N/8D didn’t see success. Of the 30 items I have reviewed in the last 4 years or so, I have unreservedly recommended only 4 or 5 items. and the 8N is one among those 5. To add more context, I have with me right now, a few IEMs* in the similar price range, which rose to popularity in the last year and none are working out for me like how the 8N or 8D does. These IEMs have a Harman-Target-like tuning, so they sound immediately captivating and transparent due to their upper-mids presence. But in the long run, they are just tiring. I could listen to the 8N all day. I use EQ with almost all my IEMs and headphones, except the 8N. I am not saying 8N is perfect. It has its flaws and probably won’t fit everyone’s taste. But it is way better than so many hyped up IEMs out there.

* - Fearless S6R, S8F, Moondrop KXXS, TSMR-3 Pro

Nov 22, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #245 of 304
Forrest,

You have at least two credible parties that would love to help you out. I don't know the work of EagleWings as well; but I can state that I read work by CSGLinux carefully as he is in the small group of people on Head-Fi that I feel are "on track" most of the time when they make comments.

Personally I think your pricing is generally on track. I think the 8D never received the love it deserved. I noticed there is now an 8P and I have no idea what that is all about. I have no strong feeling for the Harman curve one way of the other. I did jump on the hype train for the latest from Blon which I think is supposed to be close to Harman and it sounds pretty good to me. I think the one criticism you have received would relate to sibilance on some units but personally I don't hear it.

My suggestion is to take EagleWings and CSGLinux up on their offers. It really can help.

I still think you should consider dumping the blue and green filters and instead create some filters like an gunmetal that rolls off the high end a bit more or a gold that has a bit more high end. Gold and gunmetal are what most of your US listeners are using so more options along those lines would make sense.

I would love to hear a Celeste; maybe you could start a tour or ask one of your ambassadors to host a "tour".

And I have no idea what the other brand line is all about and I suspect nobody else here does either.

Nov 22, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #246 of 304
I see that theres new updated reviews. i will go have a look. Thank you
Went for Singapore's canjam this year and Celeste was not available for audition
My current 8s cable had shed its skin to a full grey cable instead of the old dark blue lol.
The jacket was maded of enviroment-friend material, just like the Apple charge cable, fortunately, the gray insulation is durable.

Nov 22, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #247 of 304
It pains to know that FLC8N/8D didn’t see success. Of the 30 items I have reviewed in the last 4 years or so, I have unreservedly recommended only 4 or 5 items. and the 8N is one among those 5. To add more context, I have with me right now, a few IEMs* in the similar price range, which rose to popularity in the last year and none are working out for me like how the 8N or 8D does. These IEMs have a Harman-Target-like tuning, so they sound immediately captivating and transparent due to their upper-mids presence. But in the long run, they are just tiring. I could listen to the 8N all day. I use EQ with almost all my IEMs and headphones, except the 8N. I am not saying 8N is perfect. It has its flaws and probably won’t fit everyone’s taste. But it is way better than so many hyped up IEMs out there.

* - Fearless S6R, S8F, Moondrop KXXS, TSMR-3 Pro
FLC8d and FLC8n are not sussess, we frustrated at the beginning, but for now, we knew the reasons: 1, FLC8s is good, old customers don't want upgrade it to FLC8n, actually, this is good thing, 2, Our marketing is too bad, few people know us.

Nov 22, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #248 of 304
I once owned an FLC8S, and it was an amazing headset. The only complaint I had was from the cable, this has been reported by other members.

I also didn't have the patience to change so many settings.

Forrest you know how to make good adjustments, maybe a new project priced at around $ 100. With a very simple adjustment system, similar to the LZ system.

Another thing today is the very large amount of releases, some people value some reviewers, and only buy based on several positive comments.

To be honest, gauge reviewers have to create a certain Hype in the community.
Thanks for the suggestion, planning the project around $100

Nov 22, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #249 of 304
Forrest,

You have at least two credible parties that would love to help you out. I don't know the work of EagleWings as well; but I can state that I read work by CSGLinux carefully as he is in the small group of people on Head-Fi that I feel are "on track" most of the time when they make comments.

Personally I think your pricing is generally on track. I think the 8D never received the love it deserved. I noticed there is now an 8P and I have no idea what that is all about. I have no strong feeling for the Harman curve one way of the other. I did jump on the hype train for the latest from Blon which I think is supposed to be close to Harman and it sounds pretty good to me. I think the one criticism you have received would relate to sibilance on some units but personally I don't hear it.

My suggestion is to take EagleWings and CSGLinux up on their offers. It really can help.

I still think you should consider dumping the blue and green filters and instead create some filters like an gunmetal that rolls off the high end a bit more or a gold that has a bit more high end. Gold and gunmetal are what most of your US listeners are using so more options along those lines would make sense.

I would love to hear a Celeste; maybe you could start a tour or ask one of your ambassadors to host a "tour".

And I have no idea what the other brand line is all about and I suspect nobody else here does either.

Thanks for the suggestion! We can adjust the Gold a little bit, so it's not so bright.
Tour Celeste have no problem.

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #251 of 304
Thanks for the suggestion! We can adjust the Gold a little bit, so it's not so bright.
Tour Celeste have no problem.

I would suggest that there be a version of the gunmetal that has a bit less brightness, and a version of the gold with a bit less upper midrange and a bit more treble. So we would have classic gold and gunmetal and then slightly retuned versions of those.

Nov 24, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #252 of 304
I would be interested in seeing Crinnacle or somebody with similar equipment do a frequency graph of the 8D with the gold and gunmetal filters. I use the gunmetal and think it sounds amazing. Musical yet accurate. Even better yet, fits well and is efficient. Not to mention well priced. Of course the 8S has crashed down in price and is an amazing value right now also.
Here's my pair of 8d (averaged L & R measurements) with the gold and gunmetal filters. I'm on gold right now, but I hop back and forth between the two. They both sound good to me :)

FLC8d_filters.png

Disclaimer: These were measured on a 711 coupler using Cp100 SpinFit tips. FLC's silicone eartips give a very marginally different response in the treble. Your own ears will probably give a more significantly different response in the treble, especially around that 8 kHz peak, because that's a canal resonance, so that'll be different for everybody.

Nov 24, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #253 of 304
CSGLinux, thank you for posting that. I am curious; given your experience how would you describe the sound signature that you hear and see on that graph. Neutral, v shaped, harman? I perceive the signature with the gunmetal as relatively flat or neutral, but for me this could be a teachable moment. For what its worth most of my other IEMs have similar sound signatures. Thanks!

Nov 24, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #254 of 304
CSGLinux, thank you for posting that. I am curious; given your experience how would you describe the sound signature that you hear and see on that graph. Neutral, v shaped, harman? I perceive the signature with the gunmetal as relatively flat or neutral, but for me this could be a teachable moment. For what its worth most of my other IEMs have similar sound signatures. Thanks!

Well, I'd say if it sounds neutral to you, that's your answer :) It's not clear to me that "preferred" profiles should be fixed for all volumes anyway. Maybe equal loudness curves for pure tones don't apply perfectly for all types of music, but I'd bet it gets close for the majority:

https://www.meterplugs.com/blog/2016/12/11/equal-loudness-curves-purely-misleading.html

IEM response typically remains the same over a wide volume range, but hearing sensitivity at the extremes can change a lot with SPL. So v-shaped almost certainly isn't perceived that way once you're at a low-enough volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back