Flawless albums
Aug 15, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #691 of 941
I did a search of this thread, and I found this album mentioned twice. Once on 1/29/11 and once on 5/7/11.

Those who haven't heard it may think, "Where are the hits?" Where is "Moondance" or "Brown Eyed Girl?"

Don't worry about it, because this one is Van Morrison's masterpiece. No hits. Just his best album:

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks (1968)

If you haven't heard it, just go get it. 
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #692 of 941
After seeing Daft Punk - Discovery mentioned in here more times than I can count, I picked it up.  Half way through I'm loving it.

Some others that I can listen to without skipping around:

Weezer (1994)
Incubus - Make Yourself
Metallica - ... And Justice for All
Brad Paisley - 5th Gear

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #693 of 941
A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Meddle, and Animals by Pink Floyd.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #694 of 941
Quote:
A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Meddle, and Animals by Pink Floyd.

Don't forget Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon :)

My contribution:

Sigur Rós - ( ) is in my opinion a great album from beginning to end. (I only wish it would've been mastered a bit better, so in that sense it's not flawless)

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #695 of 941

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

It's just perfect. I'm utterly convinced that this is the greatest album ever. It's got the one of the best album covers. Both lyrically and musically it's incredible, 'Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.'

The Great Gig in the Sky, to me, achieves everything that was achieved in a lifetime of works by Beethoven, Bach and Mozart. I know that sounds absurd, but when I listen to the those works and The Great Gig in the Sky, I get a feeling of such an indescribable nature, that it blows my mind to think a human created it. 

The way the album starts and how breathe kicks in is like the build up and breakthrough of psychedelic trip. 

I never tire of listening to it. I once listened to it 9 times in a row. Something I doubt I could do with any other album. 

I feel that this album isn't just a collection of songs, but a legion of songs that work together to achieve the greatness that this album does.

Albums that are great and deserve honourable mentions: 

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
Aladdin Sane - David Bowie
Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull
Are you Experienced? - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Dr. Aftershave and the Mixed Pickles - Missus Beastly
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Black Holes and Revelations - Muse
Thriller - Michael Jackson
The Bends - Radiohead
Neck of the Woods - Silversun Pickups
Who's Next - The Who
De Stijl - The White Stripes
Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666 - H.I.M.
The Healer - Float
Rise of the Obsidian Interstellar - Disaterpeace
Rockferry - Duffy
Bon Iver - For Emma Forever Ago
Back in Black - AC/DC
Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
The Suburbs - Arcade Fire

Live albums that deserve a mention:

At Folsom Prison - Johnny Cash
Unplugged in New York - Nirvana
Live after Death - Iron Maiden

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #696 of 941
Quote:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

It's just perfect. I'm utterly convinced that this is the greatest album ever. It's got the one of the best album covers. Both lyrically and musically it's incredible, 'Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.'

The Great Gig in the Sky, to me, achieves everything that was achieved in a lifetime of works by Beethoven, Bach and Mozart. I know that sounds absurd, but when I listen to the those works and The Great Gig in the Sky, I get a feeling of such an indescribable nature, that it blows my mind to think a human created it. 

The way the album starts and how breathe kicks in is like the build up and breakthrough of psychedelic trip. 

I never tire of listening to it. I once listened to it 9 times in a row. Something I doubt I could do with any other album. 

I feel that this album isn't just a collection of songs, but a legion of songs that work together to achieve the greatness that this album does.

Albums that are great and deserve honourable mentions: 

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
Aladdin Sane - David Bowie
Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull
Are you Experienced? - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Dr. Aftershave and the Mixed Pickles - Missus Beastly
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Black Holes and Revelations - Muse
Thriller - Michael Jackson
The Bends - Radiohead
Neck of the Woods - Silversun Pickups
Who's Next - The Who
De Stijl - The White Stripes
Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666 - H.I.M.
The Healer - Float
Rise of the Obsidian Interstellar - Disaterpeace
Rockferry - Duffy
Bon Iver - For Emma Forever Ago
Back in Black - AC/DC
Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
The Suburbs - Arcade Fire

Live albums that deserve a mention:

At Folsom Prison - Johnny Cash
Unplugged in New York - Nirvana
Live after Death - Iron Maiden

I second the Dark Side of the Moon album and the Bon Iver - For Emma Forever Ago (it's better than Bon Iver's second album)

As for Pink Floyd though, Dark Side of the Moon may be their best album, but their best song is in my very humble opinion Echoes. That's 20+ minutes of heaven. And there are many different versions of Echoes, but I like the one on the Live at Pompeii DVD (it sounds very raw there) and I like the one where it's performed on the Live at Gdansk album (David Gilmour solo tour, although it does feature Richard Wright as well, not long before he passed away I suppose).

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #698 of 941
Quote:

My vote is for -

That's a great choice that I hadn't thought of in the context of this thread. It's an album that i can cheerfully listen to straight through without skipping a track. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #699 of 941
My list of flawless albums, that I can listen to straight through at the moment:

Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Eluvium - Copia
Dredg - Leitmotif (This is actually a concept album, but I just don't like the last song where there is so much silence)
Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish And The Hotdog Flavoured Water (Evergreen since my childhood)
Sensible Soccers - Sensible Soccers EP

There are much more but these are the ones I enjoy the most atm. I regularily listen to whole albums everytime anyway.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #701 of 941

Trivium - In Waves

Never contributed to this thread, so here's my first. I have been a Trivium fan since their early days. While I enjoy most of their discography, I feel I can now truthfully speak my love for this album. I previously and still am in love with their Shogun release. Although I feel this album rivals, if not peaks at number 1, Shogun in sheer fun. Shogun was a very dark and instrumental album. I do feel that album is their best work. Though this album was very much their 'breather'. It isn't too technical, but it isn't too laid back.  In terms of listening from track 1 to the end, this album takes the cake for me.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #702 of 941
A couple from the 80's, and one from 1979.
Beatles meet Bowie meet Glam rock: full of atmosphere, thick psychedelic guitar, clean and polished production, heavy beats, on target songwriting that has modern religions and hypocrisy as targets. This is a great album that is often over looked by critics who are more impressed with the second and third albums by this band. Boy are they missing it.

Love and Rockets -Seventh  dream of Teenage Heaven

And this one, a trend setting band that dominated the alternative club scene of the 80's, this album is a classic, combining electronics with solid drumming, excellent and unique bass (often taking the lead), and guitar riffs plus plaintive vocals with solid song writing, this album shouldn't be missed. There's also amazing electronic composition on this album. This is a great band, working together, and accomplishing a piece of work that is timeless.

New Order - Power Corruption & Lies

Of course, one can't forget Joy Division, the band that was the seed for New Order, with the late great singer Ian Curtis.

From allmusic, and I have to agree:

Quote:
It even looks like something classic, beyond its time or place of origin even as it was a clear product of both -- one of Peter Saville's earliest and best designs, a transcription of a signal showing a star going nova, on a black embossed sleeve. If that were all Unknown Pleasures was, it wouldn't be discussed so much, but the ten songs inside, quite simply, are stone-cold landmarks, the whole album a monument to passion, energy, and cathartic despair. The quantum leap from the earliest thrashy singles to Unknown Pleasures can be heard through every note, with Martin Hannett's deservedly famous production -- emphasizing space in the most revelatory way since the dawn of dub -- as much a hallmark as the music itself. Songs fade in behind furtive noises of motion and activity, glass breaks with the force and clarity of doom, minimal keyboard lines add to an air of looming disaster -- something, somehow, seems to wait or lurk beyond the edge of hearing. But even though this is Hannett's album as much as anyone's, the songs and performances are the true key. Bernard Sumner redefined heavy metal sludge as chilling feedback fear and explosive energy, Peter Hook's instantly recognizable bass work at once warm and forbidding, Stephen Morris' drumming smacking through the speakers above all else. Ian Curtis synthesizes and purifies every last impulse, his voice shot through with the desire first and foremost to connect, only connect -- as "Candidate" plaintively states, "I tried to get to you/You treat me like this." Pick any song: the nervous death dance of "She's Lost Control"; the harrowing call for release "New Dawn Fades," all four members in perfect sync; the romance in hell of "Shadowplay"; "Insight" and its nervous drive toward some sort of apocalypse. All visceral, all emotional, all theatrical, all perfect -- one of the best albums ever.

Joy Division's first album - Unknown Pleasures
I still remember the first time I heard this back in '79, I almost fell off my chair, I was in total amazement.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #703 of 941
…funniest thing…these two gems, recorded 35 years apart, open with the exact same line: "Roadrunner, roadrunner…goin' faster miles an hour"…

The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers 

M.I.A. - Kala 

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #704 of 941
Quote:
…funniest thing…these two gems, recorded 35 years apart, open with the exact same line: "Roadrunner, roadrunner…goin' faster miles an hour"…

The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers 

M.I.A. - Kala 

Never noticed, but your right. Agreed, they are both excellent albums. 

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #705 of 941
Quote:

Trivium - In Waves

Never contributed to this thread, so here's my first. I have been a Trivium fan since their early days. While I enjoy most of their discography, I feel I can now truthfully speak my love for this album. I previously and still am in love with their Shogun release. Although I feel this album rivals, if not peaks at number 1, Shogun in sheer fun. Shogun was a very dark and instrumental album. I do feel that album is their best work. Though this album was very much their 'breather'. It isn't too technical, but it isn't too laid back.  In terms of listening from track 1 to the end, this album takes the cake for me.

Huge Trivium fan here as well. Shogun is fantastic, In Waves is also a solid album, but Ascendancy just reigns supreme imo. Have a problem with a few tracks on In Waves that I just cant get over for it to be a perfect album.  Glad to see them in this thread nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back