Flawless albums
Dec 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #661 of 941
Quote:

Musically flawless, not best mixed/mastered/recorded.  You have to not only be able to play the album from front to back without skipping a song (no fillers) but you have to actually LOVE every single song on the album.  Also no greatest hits, has to be original album.

I'm one of the non-believers, cause I've yet to come across an album where 100% of the songs are on my top rated list.  Theres always one or two songs that just don't make the cut...

edit: although I guess if I had to pick one the closest to perfect would be Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me
edit 2: Hmmmm Norah Jones - The Fall is up there as well.

Yeah, i have a few albums I can play straight through, but that doesn't necesasrily mean every song is awesome...lol.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #662 of 941
I don't think all the songs need to perfect. Imperfections in flow make flawless albums<3

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #663 of 941
I'd say that what makes a perfect album a 'perfect' album is the feeling that it leaves you with after the last track ends. A perfect album is more than a simple sum of its parts--there are plenty of albums out there that consist entirely of great (maybe even perfect) tracks but which feel disjointed or incomplete, nonetheless.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #664 of 941
Quote:
I'd say that what makes a perfect album a 'perfect' album is the feeling that it leaves you with after the last track ends. A perfect album is more than a simple sum of its parts--there are plenty of albums out there that consist entirely of great (maybe even perfect) tracks but which feel disjointed or incomplete, nonetheless.

And having worse songs make the others even better in comparison! (How do I get the feeling I've said these things already in this thread?) 
Edit: I guess I like the points I make!
Edit2: And metalsonata, sir or madam, you are absolutely correct.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #665 of 941
Yeah, few things are more annoying than when an album tries to run on a constant high climax. (I'm looking at you, Mumford & Sons.) Variety is key, as is the knowledge that not every song needs to be a high point. Ebb and flow is nice.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #666 of 941
Quote:

Quote:
I don't think all the songs need to perfect. Imperfections in flow make flawless albums<3

These are subjective definitions of the perfect and flawless, which are great, and of course you are entitled to.  However its hard to compare albums when everyone has a different opinion regarding criteria, so it would be advantageous to use the objective definition: having no flaws, or absolute perfection.

edit: I'm not sure I understand the point about variety. You mean to tell me that its good to include ****ty songs on a record because it makes the good ones that much better? Why not just eat dog biscuits every other day to make your filet mignon that much better?  If you're talking about pace, tempo, or intensity, then yeah of course, variety is good. But ****ty songs dont make an album any better...

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #667 of 941
No, personally I will not subject to describing flawless albums as having no flaws or absolute perfection. Album is an art form.

****ty is your own word, I said worse. Because as metalsonata said, having equally great songs make the album sound dull. That's why the small things, such as a lesser song might boost the whole package to another level. A finishing touch, an ugly cherry on top.

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #668 of 941
My point is that if every song is a climax it just gets tiresome. That'd be like watching a film where the entire movie is climax--climax is not the only quality in film worth seeking out. Build-up, character development, denoument, set up--you expect all the pieces to be there, and for all of them to work together to produce a stronger whole. Climax is not strong when taken independently of the remaining parts--none of these 'parts' are strong when taken independently. I feel that albums are the same. I would struggle to name you my favorite songs of all time, but I could easily name you my favorite albums, because I rarely listen to songs independently of their album, their 'framework.' I realize that this is all subjective (and maybe slightly crazy?), but I would argue (I think successfully) that good balance is a desirable trait to be found in albums and contributes to an album's perceived 'flawlessness.' I mean, this whole exercise is pretty subjective anyways, so slightly different criteria for determining perfection shouldn't upset the end result any. Not to mention there really is not an end result--unless we are all going to vote on the nominations at some point or something. :p

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #669 of 941
Quote:
I would struggle to name you my favorite songs of all time, but I could easily name you my favorite albums, because I rarely listen to songs independently of their album, their 'framework.' I realize that this is all subjective (and maybe slightly crazy?), but I would argue (I think successfully) that good balance is a desirable trait to be found in albums and contributes to an album's perceived 'flawlessness.' I mean, this whole exercise is pretty subjective anyways, so slightly different criteria for determining perfection shouldn't upset the end result any. Not to mention there really is not an end result--unless we are all going to vote on the nominations at some point or something. :p

^I'll also gladly go down as crazy, then.

The rest is something I did not dare to bring up. You said it well.
Just list and lists of records of a person's obviously favorite band isn't worth much, IMO. That's why this is important.

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #670 of 941
With all that out of the way:

I'm going to throw Paul Simon's Graceland into the mix, because I have not mentioned it before I don't think. And I've recently moved it into my top 10 list, so I figure I'd better do so. :p I keep a consistently shifting list of my top 50 albums (no repeat artists!)--I literally edit it just about every week, even if it's only to document minor shifts in mood.

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #671 of 941
Quote:
My point is that if every song is a climax it just gets tiresome. That'd be like watching a film where the entire movie is climax--climax is not the only quality in film worth seeking out. Build-up, character development, denoument, set up--you expect all the pieces to be there, and for all of them to work together to produce a stronger whole. Climax is not strong when taken independently of the remaining parts--none of these 'parts' are strong when taken independently. I feel that albums are the same. I would struggle to name you my favorite songs of all time, but I could easily name you my favorite albums, because I rarely listen to songs independently of their album, their 'framework.' I realize that this is all subjective (and maybe slightly crazy?), but I would argue (I think successfully) that good balance is a desirable trait to be found in albums and contributes to an album's perceived 'flawlessness.' I mean, this whole exercise is pretty subjective anyways, so slightly different criteria for determining perfection shouldn't upset the end result any. Not to mention there really is not an end result--unless we are all going to vote on the nominations at some point or something. :p

Great response metal, but I'm not so sure you can compare movies with music like that.  Movies are about telling a story or getting across some sort of moral or message.  I understand the concept of an album as a holistic entity and not just a string of independent songs that happen to coincide on the same cd, but I don't think this is always the case.  There are plenty of instrumental and electronic artists that put out albums that are just a set of songs they happened to write at the time, with no intrinsic ties outside of the those related to the genre.  Does that mean that because there is no story to the album its a crappy album? No, it could be one of the most complex and musically rich albums as anything else... 

I don't disagree about variety and balance, I'm just not willing to sacrifice musicality for contextual meaning.  I'm a classically trained violinist, and what matters to me is the how musical value of the notes compose a song , not how the song sounds in relation to the song before or after it. 

As far as subjectivity, criteria, and end result...what if perhaps the OP wanted to see if there actually did exist an album that was *perfect* from start to finish.  notice how he didnt just start posting his top 20 favorite artists and albums...

Quote:
No, personally I will not subject to describing flawless albums as having no flaws or absolute perfection. Album is an art form.

****ty is your own word, I said worse. Because as metalsonata said, having equally great songs make the album sound dull. That's why the small things, such as a lesser song might boost the whole package to another level. A finishing touch, an ugly cherry on top.

Completely disagree for the reasons stated above.

Quote:
^I'll also gladly go down as crazy, then.

The rest is something I did not dare to bring up. You said it well.
Just list and lists of records of a person's obviously favorite band isn't worth much, IMO. That's why this is important.

Then people aren't being honest with themselves if they list all their favorite band's records... like I said before, I love music just as much as the next person but I've yet to come across a PERFECT or FLAWLESS album. Which is what this thread is all about.

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #672 of 941
To me and album has a story arc or a certain binding theme or context (that was a good word, thank you). Any collection of 'just songs' doesn't really qualify. Be it electronic or a series of (non contextual) classical pieces for example by a certain composer. Those are just records.
It's all right if we disagree. I'm just glad I've already found some flawless albums to listen to 
beyersmile.png

New additions:
Absoluuttinen Nollapiste - Mahlanjuoksuttaja (FIN)

CMX - Aion (FIN)

Purity Ring - Shrines

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #673 of 941
It was a lazy comparison. Of course an album of music has a very different purpose than a film. Albums are rarely about telling a cohesive story or imparting a message. What matters to me is that there is rise and fall--that an album pulsates rather than simply remains static. This is the balance I'm talking about, and this is something that any album can possess, regardless of genre. I don't instantly dismiss an album that lacks this trait--I'm just less likely to view it as a 'perfect' album. If I did instantly dismiss any album that did not possess this trait, I'd have precious little music to listen to.

Quote:

Great response metal, but I'm not so sure you can compare movies with music like that.  Movies are about telling a story or getting across some sort of moral or message.  I understand the concept of an album as a holistic entity and not just a string of independent songs that happen to coincide on the same cd, but I don't think this is always the case.  There are plenty of instrumental and electronic artists that put out albums that are just a set of songs they happened to write at the time, with no intrinsic ties outside of the those related to the genre.  Does that mean that because there is no story to the album its a crappy album? No, it could be one of the most complex and musically rich albums as anything else... 

I don't disagree about variety and balance, I'm just not willing to sacrifice musicality for contextual meaning.  I'm a classically trained violinist, and what matters to me is the how musical value of the notes compose a song , not how the song sounds in relation to the song before or after it. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #674 of 941
Good choice.

Quote:
To me and album has a story arc or a certain binding theme or context (that was a good word, thank you). Any collection of 'just songs' doesn't really qualify. Be it electronic or a series of (non contextual) classical pieces for example by a certain composer. Those are just records.
It's all right if we disagree. I'm just glad I've already found some flawless albums to listen to 
beyersmile.png

New additions:
CMX - Aion (FIN)
Purity Ring - Shrines

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #675 of 941
Good choice.

It's all right if we disagree. I'm just glad I've already found some flawless albums to listen to :beyersmile:

New additions:
CMX - Aion (FIN)
Purity Ring - Shrines

I Can listen to many albums without skipping. Because I've listened to the songs so many times that I love all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back