Flawless albums
Sep 3, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #571 of 941
Love of albums is a funny thing. I totally believe that to love an album and call it flawless is to love the imperfections too. It seems there is very few examples of perfection in this world, maybe none.

They say you love people not for their attributes, but their imperfections.  Flawless albums end up being that way only because your mind becomes charmed to liking the mistakes. 

A flawless album to me is the remaster of The Song Remains The Same by Led Zeppelin. I have a total of three versions. The 180 gram remaster vinyl, the remaster CD and the original vinyl from the day.

This album is full of said imperfections. The band said they were tired. It's a live album too. The reason I like it is it captures a time in music history really well. Some would say that Zep is overrated, some would say the recording is not perfect.

The end result is hearing it and the mental effect it has. The transportation element. If the music starts to seem timeless then that is also a helping factor.

I've heard lots of better recordings but the beat-up live recording that was remastered to my view of perfection is............

The 2007 reissue box set 180 gram vinyl.

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #573 of 941
Quote:
^ Loved the movie as well.

I saw the move right when it came out. I think I was 17 or something. It was amazing then and is now! We are luck. Much less media then??

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #575 of 941
Sep 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #577 of 941
Throwing a 'few' more out there. Hopefully not repeating myself given all my previous posts, but eh.

Black Sabbath: Paranoid
Kate Bush: Hounds of Love
The Cure: Disintegration
Miles Davis: Bitches Brew
DJ Screw: All Screwed Up *and* 3'n the Mornin' Part II
Marvin Gaye: What's Going On
Geinoh Yamashirogumi: Symphonic Suite Akira
Godspeed You! Black Emperor: F#A#(Infinity)
Joy Division: Closer
Bob Marley and the Wailers: Exodus
Frank Ocean: Channel Orange (Yeah, just came out, but seriously, listen to it!)
The Pogues: Poguetry in Motion (EPs count, right?)
Radiohead: Kid A
Refused: The Shape of Punk to Come
Sigur Ros: Agaetis Byrjun
Smashing Pumpkins: Siamese Dream
Sonic Youth: Daydream Nation
Sufjan Stevens: Illinois
The Stooges: Fun House
Frank Zappa: Hot Rats

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #579 of 941
Huge thumbs up on Agalloch and Kayo Dot. I've never heard of Jakob, will have to give it a shot.

Quote:
Jakob - Solace
Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye

They're my big three.

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #580 of 941
Quote:
Huge thumbs up on Agalloch and Kayo Dot. I've never heard of Jakob, will have to give it a shot.

Jakob is fantastic music for reflecting, the textures are gorgeous and every track is startlingly different. Brilliant post-rock, among the best.

I also forgot about maudlin of the Well - Part the Second, if only for the fantastic recording quality.

Thumbs up on the Sunn O))) avatar too, perhaps their strongest album. Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale is near perfect if you'd like some doom. :)

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #581 of 941
Yep, maudlin of the Well is good stuff. Toby Driver does great work, no denying it. I'll certainly be giving Jakob and Esoteric a shot--finding good doom and post-rock can be a challenge, as so much of it can really start to sound the same after a while. 

And yeah, Monoliths and Dimensions is Sunn O)))'s masterpiece, so far as I'm concerned. Not that their other stuff isn't all great as well, but M&D sounds almost like a culmination of all their previous work--after years of traveling in the darkness, there's finally a light, just ahead. Honestly, I would not be too broken up if their next album (please make another album, guys?) continues in the same jazzy vein as Alice--just so long as they don't allow themselves to get too comfortable. (Cough cough, Bohren und der Club of Gore, cough. Though in all fairness, I thought Dolores was pretty good. And I haven't listened to Geisterfaust since it dropped.)
Quote:
Jakob is fantastic music for reflecting, the textures are gorgeous and every track is startlingly different. Brilliant post-rock, among the best.

I also forgot about maudlin of the Well - Part the Second, if only for the fantastic recording quality.

Thumbs up on the Sunn O))) avatar too, perhaps their strongest album. Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale is near perfect if you'd like some doom. :)

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #582 of 941
BT's Morceau Subrosa. Flawless from beginning to end. Who needs multiple tracks when you'd listen to all 46 minutes every time anyway?

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #583 of 941
Quote:
Yep, maudlin of the Well is good stuff. Toby Driver does great work, no denying it. I'll certainly be giving Jakob and Esoteric a shot--finding good doom and post-rock can be a challenge, as so much of it can really start to sound the same after a while. 

And yeah, Monoliths and Dimensions is Sunn O)))'s masterpiece, so far as I'm concerned. Not that their other stuff isn't all great as well, but M&D sounds almost like a culmination of all their previous work--after years of traveling in the darkness, there's finally a light, just ahead. Honestly, I would not be too broken up if their next album (please make another album, guys?) continues in the same jazzy vein as Alice--just so long as they don't allow themselves to get too comfortable. (Cough cough, Bohren und der Club of Gore, cough. Though in all fairness, I thought Dolores was pretty good. And I haven't listened to Geisterfaust since it dropped.)

Yeah, Bohren are way past their day. Sunset Mission and Black Earth are masterpieces, the rest are okay. I wasn't too impressed with the new EP, either.

As for Sunn O))), they're touring like crazy so I at least hope a new album is on the cards. It had better be.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #584 of 941
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination
I Mother Earth - Dig

Plus about 10 albums that have been mentioned repeatedly
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back