Flawless albums
Mar 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #526 of 941
In no particular order, I believe that these can arguably be called flawless albums (I'd love to know if anybody else has heard every one of these):

Dream Theater - Awake
Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
Brothers - The Black Keys
Utada Hikaru - Deep River
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Jimi Hendrix - All of 'em
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy IX Original Soundtrack
Masashi Hamauzu - Final Fantasy XIII Original Soundtrack
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
U2 - The Joshua Tree
John Coltrane - My Favorite Things
Danny Elfman - The Nightmare Before Christmas Original Soundtrack
The Ramones - Ramones
Frank Sinatra - Strangers in the Night
The Roots - Undun
Weezer - Blue Album
Adele - 19

As it turns out, very few of these are actually favorites of mine, with the exceptions of The Nightmare Before Christmas and Deep River. The rest of them have gotten relatively little play time in comparison except when they were brand new to me.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #527 of 941
I'm guessing you were born in the 90's with some of those picks...

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #528 of 941
And you'd be guessing correctly, though I will say that a good deal of my favorites are from well before my time and I had to omit classical which put a couple of limits on me because I've heard some gorgeous classical recordings that I need to purchase and revisit.

I used to be very engaged while listening to Aerosmith but I think I've become overexposed to them. I like a lot of older rock groups but the only albums I tend to listen to by those groups are live recordings and those are also technically against the thread rules. For instance, I find Hot August Night I and II to be a great listen. To be fair, I wouldn't call them flawless either, but they are brilliant nonetheless. Loggins and Messina On Stage is also great, but not flawless. Another studio album that I personally believe is as close to flawless as it gets is Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. My musical tastes are pretty wide, so if I had to pick out all of my favorites, or even everything I consider flawless, it'd take a while and a great deal of consideration. Well beyond the first list I posted.

Just out of interest, do you recognize Utada's name or the other two Asian composers I listed? I've met very few, if any people, who recognize many Asian names since I live on the US and it seems that most American teens are not particularly interested in any foreign music whatsoever. Actually, I'd be surprised if most of them even know more than half of the artists I posted.

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #529 of 941
No, I do not recognize a few of those, lol. The Roots, RATM, and Black Keys picks are what tipped me off :) I didn't mean it negatively. Rock on brotha.
gs1000.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #530 of 941
x2 on The Black Parade. Have to give Demon Days another try. Didn't really get into it when I first got it. 

Quote:
The only albums I can think of that I truly consider to be "flawless" are Demon Days by Gorillaz, which has already been mentioned, and The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance. Dark Side of the Moon comes close, but imo, the song "Money" is far from perfect, so I can't really call it a perfect album. Octavarium by Dream Theater is another one that comes close, but the melodramaticism of "The Answer Lies Within" doesn't fit with the general theme of the album at all, imo, so that song is kind of a dud. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #531 of 941
No problem. I took no offense. I'm pretty impressed that you were able to guess accurately based on two groups' albums. I didn't mean anything other than to point out that I enjoy music from just about any time period as long as it's done well. I have a pretty wide musical taste. The only thing that I don't get along with well, for whatever reason, is a very large amount of country music. I enjoy some of it, like Alabama, some Johnny Cash and a few others, but overall, country has never really been my strong point.

On the other hand, my absolute favorites generally include hip-hop, pop (American and foreign), classical and/or, and different sorts of rock throughout multiple generations. Some I consider flawless, some not so much. All of them are wonderful though, in my opinion.

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #532 of 941
I'm as big of a Radiohead(minus Amnesiac) fan as you'll find, but can somebody explain how Fitter, Happier is not a filler? It may accomplish something in the album, but it doesn't stand out by itself (in a good way) at all.

Agree. And I never understood all the praise about OK Computer. I've tried to like it but I don't.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #533 of 941
Above and Beyond pres. Oceanlab - Sirens of the Sea (Remixed)
Armin Van Buuren - Imagine
Markus Schulz - Do You Dream?
Cosmic Gate - Wake your Mind

Kanye West - College Dropout
Nas - Hip Hop is Dead
Kanye and Jay Z - Watch the Throne

B4MV - Fever
Escape the Fate - Dying is Your Latest Fashion
Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies
Senses Fail - Let it Enfold You

Van Halen - Van Halen
Stryper - I. G. W. T.
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Halo 2 Soundtrack

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #534 of 941

Quote:
x2 on The Black Parade. Have to give Demon Days another try. Didn't really get into it when I first got it. 

I can never get into anything by Gorillaz the first time I listen to it. I bought Demon Days around the time it first came out because a couple of my friends had been telling me about how great the band was, and I had already heard Feel Good Inc. and liked it. I listened to the first few songs and thought they were strange and somewhat irritating at the time and really never listened to the rest of the album until months later, but once I did listen to it from start to finish, it immediately became one of my favorites. Gorillaz even got me to listen to rap and actually enjoy it for once, and that says a lot.
etysmile.gif

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #535 of 941
That's how I felt too. I did get into Plastic Beach somewhat so I knew I'd eventually want to try Demon Days again. Maybe this weekend.

Quote:
I can never get into anything by Gorillaz the first time I listen to it. I bought Demon Days around the time it first came out because a couple of my friends had been telling me about how great the band was, and I had already heard Feel Good Inc. and liked it. I listened to the first few songs and thought they were strange and somewhat irritating at the time and really never listened to the rest of the album until months later, but once I did listen to it from start to finish, it immediately became one of my favorites. Gorillaz even got me to listen to rap and actually enjoy it for once, and that says a lot.
etysmile.gif

And for my flawless pick:

I really love this album from start to finish. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #538 of 941
In alphabetical order:

Agalloch - The Mantle
The Antlers - Hospice
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Burial - Untrue
Can - Tago Mago
Chad VanGaalen - Soft Airplane
Converge - Jane Doe
David Bowie - Low
Deltron 3030 - s/t
The Field - Looping State of Mind
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
Four Tet - There is Love in You
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#inf
Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
J Dilla - Donuts
Joanna Newsom - Ys
King Crimson - Red
The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2
The Middle East - I Want That You Are Always Well
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
OutKast - ATLiens
Pink Floyd - Animals
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Szueletett
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Yes - Close to the Edge

These are the albums that I can always go back to and know I'll just get lost in the music, which to me, is perfect.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #539 of 941
My name is Metalsonata and this is my favorite list in this thread.

Quote:
In alphabetical order:

Agalloch - The Mantle
The Antlers - Hospice
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Burial - Untrue
Can - Tago Mago
Chad VanGaalen - Soft Airplane
Converge - Jane Doe
David Bowie - Low
Deltron 3030 - s/t
The Field - Looping State of Mind
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
Four Tet - There is Love in You
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#inf
Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
J Dilla - Donuts
Joanna Newsom - Ys
King Crimson - Red
The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2
The Middle East - I Want That You Are Always Well
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
OutKast - ATLiens
Pink Floyd - Animals
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Szueletett
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Yes - Close to the Edge

These are the albums that I can always go back to and know I'll just get lost in the music, which to me, is perfect.

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #540 of 941
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Vampire Weekend - Contra
The xx - xx

My music taste is probably pretty obvious at this point...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back