Flashlight-Fi (LED & Conventional)
Dec 29, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #256 of 828
My NiteCore EX10 got shipped today from CFR Lights. I placed the order with 2 other shops including 4Sevens but had to cancel because I was later told they were on back-order. I wonder if they are being discontinued.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #257 of 828
i knew this thread was here! have over 70 lights. only ones that sit on my nightstand ever are e2l and original l4! i would like to tell ya'll about my keymate that puts out 60 lumens but it is a very long story. was over a year of work too. in my pocket is always p1d q5, and titan(the titanium one).

e2l is the best thing ever for going behind the stereo racks! if i hear a bump in the night i use e2dl but now the lx2 is giving it dirty looks.

it is cool to see that many people share a lot of my intrests here.

music_man

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #259 of 828
Can someone explain to me why one would want to collect flashlights? Certainly one for the home, one for the car, and whatnot, but why more than, say, 5? It's a flashlight; what else does it do beside shine light?

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #261 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone explain to me why one would want to collect flashlights? Certainly one for the home, one for the car, and whatnot, but why more than, say, 5? It's a flashlight; what else does it do beside shine light?

Headphones. To the non-afficiado, headphones just make sound. Why have more than one.
Do you need more than one. No.
Do you want more than one? Yes.

That's why it's called a hobby.
tongue.gif

Same with watches, chess sets, sunglasses, and flashlights and members of the opposite (or the same) sex.

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #263 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones. To the non-afficiado, headphones just make sound. Why have more than one.
Do you need more than one. No.
Do you want more than one? Yes.

That's why it's called a hobby.
tongue.gif

Same with watches, chess sets, sunglasses, and flashlights and members of the opposite (or the same) sex.

That analogy doesn't wash. I have three headphones because each headphone has different characteristics, and I can somewhat justify my purchases because I spend a lot of time listening to music. As a result, having good headphones that I use often seems to be reasonable.

I might see how flashlights will have different characteristics, but how often will you use them? Do flashlight collectors go out in pitch-black every night? Do animals prey on these guys? Do they need to signal UFOs? Methinks not.

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #264 of 828
Quote:

That analogy doesn't wash. I have three headphones because each headphone has different characteristics, and I can somewhat justify my purchases because I spend a lot of time listening to music. As a result, having good headphones that I use often seems to be reasonable.

I might see how flashlights will have different characteristics, but how often will you use them? Do flashlight collectors go out in pitch-black every night? Do animals prey on these guys? Do they need to signal UFOs? Methinks not.

different lights have different tints, take different batteries, have different run times, have different modes, have different discharge profiles, are made out of different materials, use different LEDs, have different tints, have different warranties, have different switches, have different beam profiles, have different brightnesses and levels, etc. some may be better for reading a book, camping, backpacking, diving, search and rescue, biking, signaling, walking around the house when everyone's asleep, law enforcement, etc. each serves a different purpose.

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #265 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisplyr3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
different lights have different tints, take different batteries, have different run times, have different modes, have different discharge profiles, are made out of different materials, use different LEDs, have different tints, have different warranties, have different switches, have different beam profiles, have different brightnesses and levels, etc. some may be better for reading a book, camping, backpacking, diving, search and rescue, biking, signaling, walking around the house when everyone's asleep, law enforcement, etc. each serves a different purpose.

Yadda yadda yadda. I already acknowledged in my post that flashlights have different characteristics.

Quote:

I might see how flashlights will have different characteristics, but how often will you use them?

The issue then is: I might see how flashlights will have different characteristics, but how often will you use them?

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #266 of 828
Quote:

The issue then is: I might see how flashlights will have different characteristics, but how often will you use them?

It's just another form of Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I buy some because they're all around useful, some because they're nice pocket jewelry, some for specific applications, some to see what a certain manufacturer is up to, and some just to see what the latest and greatest evolution in technology can do.

Same syndrome can be seen in the Knife/Watch/Gun/Etc-Fi threads.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #267 of 828
Quote:

Yadda yadda yadda. I already acknowledged in my post that flashlights have different characteristics.

I take saying something like "yada, yada, yada" as being very condescending.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #268 of 828
besides some random lights that lay around my apartment like an inova and some streamlights, i carry a surefire e2L cree dual-stage outdoorsman whenever i have a bag on me or am camping/hiking, and a maratac AAA sits on my keychain at all times as an EDC.

i am deathly ill with GAC.

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #269 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's just another form of Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I buy some because they're all around useful, some because they're nice pocket jewelry, some for specific applications, some to see what a certain manufacturer is up to, and some just to see what the latest and greatest evolution in technology can do.

Same syndrome can be seen in the Knife/Watch/Gun/Etc-Fi threads.

This. Some things I have an urge to collect a vast array of (knives, lighters) while others I'll only get enough to fulfill the necessary niches (watches, pens, flashlights, headphones). The way I see it, there's a spectrum of want vs. need, with different gear falling on different spots along the spectrum for each gadget dork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back