Flashlight-Fi (LED & Conventional)
Aug 31, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #151 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by mierenneuker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a rebranded Solarforce, you can see multiple Solarforce products on their page rebranded as Lumaforce.

Has your Cree R2 also a little bit a purple tint?
(By the way, you can better buy rechargable 123 because the singles use are way overpriced)(or even better, 18650 battaries if they fit)

No purple tint I can see. Lumaforce seems to be within $5 of the cheapest Solarforce price I could find on same light and they are shipping from US to US. All sorts of games being played by these mfrs and resellers including copying Surefire design(?) My first 123/18650 light. The problem I have with having rechargeable batteries in a flashlight is Murphy's Law sez that when you really need your light, the batteries will be dead. One time 123's are $1 a piece in bulk.

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #152 of 828
Rechargables are fine if you often use your light and often replace batteries.
If you don't use it that often and only use it when needed you can better have one time use batteries because they won't lose (much)energy over time

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #154 of 828
I bought two of the same R2 p60 drop-ins, and one has slightly purplish tint, another is slightly greenish. I guess cree is still not able to control tint 100% the way they wanted.

I was not able to recall any Lumapower product that resembles solarforce L2. Then, I found that's not Lumapower, but Lumaforce. LOL.. is it solarforce knock off inspired by Lumapower? First, all those -fire series copying each other and now -force series? Seriously, they should use some creativity.

Not like Li-MH, Li-ion can hold the charge quite well. Couple monthes in the shelf is not a problem at all.

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #156 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys know of any led flashlight that has an output of at least 200 lumen ?

Real lumen or claimed lumen?
What do you want to use it for?
because how the light is focused is also a very important factor

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #157 of 828
Quote:

Do you guys know of any led flashlight that has an output of at least 200 lumen ?

How about 630 out the front lumens? Runs on AA batteries. It won't fit in your watch pocket. So, more specifically, as mierenneuker asked, what are your other criteria? Use, Size, Battery type? etc...

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #159 of 828
Quote:

Yes I'm after real lumen. I want to use it as a floodlight more than a spotlight. A size similar to a 3D maglite would be suitable.

Then a Fenix TK40 may be exactly what you're looking for. It runs on 8 AA batteries in a magazine designed just for the TK40. The light is about the size of a 2D Mag light. The D cell Maglight belt loop works perfectly for the TK40 for belt carry.

Fenix TK40 review

TK40 link

I strongly recommend that you do NOT use regular AA's under any circumstances, except emergencies. For best safety, longest run times, and best economy, I suggest that you use one of the many brands of Low Self Discharge NiMH AA's.

Most people have experienced the best performance from the Sanyo eneloops, however, right now Fry's electronics has truck loads of the Rayovac 4.0 LSD rechargables for under $6.00 for a 4-pack compared to about $12.00 for 4-pak of Eneloops.

The charger you use is of paramount importance. I would recommend a Lacrosse BC-9009. Recommended charge rate should be 1000mA on that charger with 4 batteries at once, or 1800mA for 2 batteries at a time.

Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology BC-9009 AlphaPower Battery Charger: Electronics

Another potentially viable alternative is the Wolf Eyes Pilot Whale.
Link to Pilot Whale Review

Good place to buy Pilot Whale

The Fenix is rated at 630 real, out the front, lumens, and has a nicely balanced flood/spot beam, good to about 300 yds. illumination.
The Wolf Eyes includes its own rechargeable battery and recharger, has a floodier beam than the Fenix, and runs about 2x the money, and is rated 1000 lumens at the emitter. No out the front rating given.

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #161 of 828
Quote:

Thanks Kwkarth. Pilot Whale would fit nicely if it was cheaper.

You're quite welcome. Although I don't own the PW, I've read a lot of really good things about it.

Regarding the Fenix TK40... I do own one of those and I really like it. I am not sure I could recommend it for tactical use because of the nature of its user interface, but it's great for SAR, hiking, camping, walkin' the dawg, etc.

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #163 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one is the better emitter? Q5 or R2?

I have a number of lights that use both, and they're both nice. The R2 is slightly more efficient, but in terms of practical difference, there is little, EXCEPT... For me, the tint bin carries more weight than the overall slight efficiency difference. I've seen good cool white bins from both, however there are a few limited distributions of the Cree XPE Q3 5A, which is supposed to be a little less bright than the Cree XP-E R2.

The Q5 is not a bad LED, but like all the rest, they are available in many different tints. The Q5 is between the R2 and Q3 in brightness and efficiency. The Q3 is about 145 lm @ 700 mA and the R2 is about 170 lm @ 700 mA, the Q5 is in between. I think the Vf differs slightly between them, but I don't have the specs at hand.

I have identical lights with both R2 and Q3 LED's and it's difficult to see a difference in brightness by eye because the Q3 5A is classified as a neutral white and the R2 is classified as a cool white, color wise. The color of the beam from the Q3 5A is so much more natural and the CRI (color rendering index) so much better than the R2, my preference is by far for the Neutral White Q3-5A.

I am able to recognize and differentiate between colors soooo much better with the Q3-5A, there is no contest.

You have to see the difference for yourself to appreciate the advantage of the Q3-5A. I also have a couple lights that use the quad die emitter MCE. I like the color rendition from it also, and it is 4x brighter than the Q3-5A, but the color recognition with the Q3-5A is superior to my eye.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #164 of 828
Quote:

I am new to the flashlight subculture but there are several lights with emitters that claim 200 lumens at the emitter and by the time it gets out of the light it is back down to 120 to 160 lumens (maybe).

I have a cheap but nice Dorcy that claims 160 lumens and runs on 3 AAA batts and for around $25 delivered is a good deal. Dorcy Direct Dot Com.

I also have a claimed 300 lumen Lumaforce LF1 that uses 2-CR123a's that retails for $35 plus shipping from LumaForce dot com that has a lot of throw and is quite bright.

There are literally hundreds of LED lights and mfrs now, most built and shipped from China. There are only 3 major emitter mfrs "that I know of", Cree, Seoul and Luxeon. Check out Candle Power Forums for more info.

As with anything else you can spend a little or a lot.

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #165 of 828
Just a word of caution to all;

Any light powered by 3 AAA's should be avoided on the general principle that a AAA battery has the worst power density of any cell made except for maybe a 9V xistor radio battery. If a light is powered by 3 AAA's it is usually an indicator that the manufacturers of the light were too cheap, or lazy, or unsophisticated to design a proper power supply for the light to allow it to run off of a more appropriate cell.

Very casual users would do well to stick with AA powered lights, and if you use lights in your profession, or are getting into flashlights as a hobby, you might want to consider CR123 primary or even lithium rechargeable cell powered lights.

CR123 primaries are available for around 1 USD each as long as you know where to buy and have one of the highest energy densities available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back