Flashing Chaintech AV710
Oct 11, 2006 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Funky_Junk

New Head-Fier
I just recieved my Chaintech AV710 in the mail yesterday, and Im trying to get the most out of it that I can. I've heard that its relatively easy to flash the card to act as an Audiotrak Prodigy. I've looked around here and the internet and I have not be able to find any guide on how to do this? Could anyone point me to a somewhat detailed guide on how to flash the card. Thanks.

Oct 12, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky_Junk
I just recieved my Chaintech AV710 in the mail yesterday, and Im trying to get the most out of it that I can. I've heard that its relatively easy to flash the card to act as an Audiotrak Prodigy. I've looked around here and the internet and I have not be able to find any guide on how to do this? Could anyone point me to a somewhat detailed guide on how to flash the card. Thanks.

There are some instructions here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post3768518

Problem is you may longer find the prodigy firmware online to download. Perhaps if you ask nicely someone here may still have the flashing program as well as the Prodigy firmware.

Oct 12, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 13
AFAIR, flashing to Prodigy 7.1 shuts down all but Wolfson channels. IMO, it far better to mod the card (if you're going to use the Wolfson DAC) than to mess up with (already miserable) drivers.

Oct 12, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 13
So you do get one analog out on the wolfson dac output? I thought you only get output on the digital output and all the analong channels get disabled. If this is true, I'd really be interested in flashing my card.

Oct 13, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 13
Bithop, you might be right - I considered flushing my card a while ago and never did that, so I'm not sure

Oct 13, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bitpoh
I remember otherwise -- if you flash with Prodigy firwmare you will lose all analog channels.

This is correct. A flashed AV710 will ONLY output through S/PDIF.

Oct 14, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 13
Indeed. The AV710 is easy to get bit perfect output from with standard drivers. You do not have to flash it with the prodigy drivers. I use 4.51c myself with good luck. I know that I am getting bit perfect output because when I play a FLAC file ripped from a HDCD CD, my dac lights up it's HDCD led.

Happy Listening!

Oct 14, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 13
If you have a DAC, then I would flash the card. The envy drivers are horrible imo. It is not to hard to flash. Headfi'er Glassman has posted instructions in several threads. The prodigy drivers are well worth the loss of analog output.

The SQ benefit is of course a plus too
biggrin.gif
, assuming you have capable equipment.

Oct 14, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 13
Is there a way to test if you are getting bitperfect without using a DTS/DD capable receiver? I just have an Entech NC 203.2. But I want to make sure I am getting bitperfect out of my AV710 (flashed to Prodigy) using foobar (ASIO) with no DSP's. Are there certain settings with the Audiotrak software that I need to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back