Flashdrive reader in car?
Dec 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mbrown877

New Head-Fier
Hey people,
this might sound a bit ignorant on my part, but I'm not very "tecchy" when it comes to car audio systems. What I want to do is, be able to play a flashdrive filled with music, in my car!
An obvious answer would be to just buy an iPod & an FM receiver, however, I'm unable to afford an iPod. Besides, those lil' battery-powered FM receivers usually don't work too good anyway. On the other hand, I own a 64gb USB flashdrive on which I store hundreds of mp3 files. And, my car has an auxiliary port. So, I have thought it would be great if I could plug some kind of USB flashdriver reader into the auxiliary port, and be able to listen to all of the music on my flashdrive!
I know there are cars on the market now which have USB ports built into their stero systems. So, how can I replicate that kind of technology & just plug it into my car's auxiliry port??
Is there such a product out there (or, perhaps a few parts that i could stick together) which would allow me to do this??

Keep in mind, I'm not a rich guy. I'm willing to spend some money on this project, but let's try to keep it simple. :wink:

Thank you,

Michael
Cleveland, Ohio

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 4
There are plenty of cheap car FM transmitters available that can do the job. You'd need to look for those that:
I) plug directly into the cigarette lighter port for power (very common)
II) have a line out port (so that you don't need to use the FM)
III) have a USB port

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 4
Hey people,
this might sound a bit ignorant on my part, but I'm not very "tecchy" when it comes to car audio systems. What I want to do is, be able to play a flashdrive filled with music, in my car!
An obvious answer would be to just buy an iPod & an FM receiver, however, I'm unable to afford an iPod. Besides, those lil' battery-powered FM receivers usually don't work too good anyway. On the other hand, I own a 64gb USB flashdrive on which I store hundreds of mp3 files. And, my car has an auxiliary port. So, I have thought it would be great if I could plug some kind of USB flashdriver reader into the auxiliary port, and be able to listen to all of the music on my flashdrive!
I know there are cars on the market now which have USB ports built into their stero systems. So, how can I replicate that kind of technology & just plug it into my car's auxiliry port??
Is there such a product out there (or, perhaps a few parts that i could stick together) which would allow me to do this??

Keep in mind, I'm not a rich guy. I'm willing to spend some money on this project, but let's try to keep it simple.
wink.gif

Thank you,

Michael
Cleveland, Ohio

You don't need to buy an iPod.

Get a Sansa Clip+ 8GB, a 32GB MicroSD card, and a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. The total should be less than $100 (more like $70-80). 
Plug it into your aux port. Thats it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back