flash mp3 player recommendation
Apr 10, 2005 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

karmypolitics

100+ Head-Fier
ok, here's what I'm interested in

1. rechargable battery. very important. I really don't like having to use triple A batteries for my Muvo. it seems wasteful.

2. lcd screen. I like being able to know what song I'm listening to

3. fairly small size. it'd be used mainly for gym.

Apr 10, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 8
There is the Iaudio U2 and the new Samsung YP-T7X. The U2 lasts up to 20 hours on its lithium rechargeable battery. The T7 lasts up to 10 hours on its battery. The T7 has a color screen. The U2 is smaller.

I compared the Iaudio 5 (same functionality as the U2) and the Samsung YP-MT6X (similar to T7). The Iaudio is better designed with more functionality than the T7.

Note that if you run out of power or you forget to recharge overnight, it will take a few hours or more to recharge these players. The U2 can take up to 6.5 hours unless you purchase the optional AC adapter.

I chose the I5 instead of the U2 because of the annoyance of waiting for a charge.

Apr 10, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 8
B0007M610Y.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Samsung YP-MT6Z 1GB Flash player

1"(W) x 2.39"(H) x .95"(D) - pretty small

More specs here.

One AA battery lasts 40 hours. Longer if you buy higher capacity rechargables (though you can use any AA battery, not just rechargables). The shell is metal, so it's durable too. I think it's a pretty damn good deal for $169. I plan on buying one soon.

Apr 10, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 8
I would recommend iAudio 4/5 (I like the 4 design a tiny bit more) and use rechargeable AAA (Or was it AA?) batteries, it's like having four accu's for your player, and you'll never, ever have a dead player if you have at least 1 extra, full battery with you all the time. Meanwhile, you have 2 at home, charging, if you buy four, or with two, you charge the other one as soon as you get home.

iRiver 7xx and 8xx might be worthwhile, AA batteries are way, way more powerful.

Apr 11, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 8
How bout the iRiver N10 its tiny, rechargable and has a screen fits all ur needs.

Apr 11, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 8
do you want the battery to charge in the player or do you mind taking it out to charge? because if you dont mind simply taking out the battery you can open up your range to pretty much any flash player out there (save the shuffle). JWfokker's mp3 player suggestion is a good one, i like that player. just by looking at a few pictures of its UI i can tell its simple an easy to use. All flash players are small, and all have the ability to have rechargable batteries, so you should consider being more specific in your needs for the player, things such as an FM tuner, voice recording, codec support, line in, line out, and things like that will help you find the perfect player for you.

Apr 11, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 8
Why not just get a Rio Karma ?!

Heeh . . . just kidding. Don't we all wish there was such thing packed into a size of an candy bar ?

Anyways, I was in a similar situation you are currently in a few months ago. And even after considering all the possible players available to me ... I still haven't decided.

To me, I think the U2... just like IpaqMan suggested is probably my best suggestion. It has everything you wanted and LOTS more. Definitely go for it if it fits your bill. Suntec has them starting at $120 shipped, and perhaps even less if you mention about iaudiophile.

If price is the problem, you might want to check out BenQ's line of Joybee players. Most of them have a small LCD, built in lithium batteries, and are very portable. If you want to take a risk but save even more dollars, there are many OEM versions floating on eBay that look exactly the same but have different software. But before you do, check the one that strohmie is selling in the FS forum.

Also, you might want to consider the new Sony oled players that are coming out soon. There are also some older Sony models that take the rechargeable gumstick batteries. MPIO also has a few players with built in batteries.

It seems like rechargeable batteries are limiting down your choices. Since theres many more players out there that take AA/AAA batts, I guess it won't be terribly bad to buy a dedicated charger. Some newer players even run 20 hours + off a single AAA charge. Which is absolutely amazing.

Hope that helps !

~ truffles

Let me know how

Users who are viewing this thread

Back