flash for my new lumix dmc-g1
Dec 7, 2010 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fzman

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got the camera, and will use it primarily indoors, and in less than ideal light.  since it has a hotshoe, it is begging me to get a flash.  don't want to spend a fortune, but do want bounce and perhaps swivel- along with more light output than the built-in one.

i would like fairly fast cycle times as well.

Choices would include the two Lumix brand flashes,

vs something like a Vivitar 283 or 383

vs. Metz 36,44,48, 50
all with the appropriate brains to work ttl with my specific camera.

any thoughts?

Mark

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 3
Interested to see what folks like for this camera, I have the GF-1, which should have the same flash offerings.  I have no direct knowlege though, and can't comment on which flash has the best brains, recycle time etc.

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 3
If you are looking for a flash simply to offer a much more controllable and "refined" light to low-light and less than ideal light conditions and want to figure out the most cost-friendly solution...I would suggest any hot-shoe flash that has at least a titling head and interactive set-up, such as the cheapest used flash you can find at a store or sale (such as B&H's used section).  I only say this since in my limited exposure to flashes....
1) it was important to be able to tilt the flash at least to a 90 (straight forward), 45 and 180 degree position when direct flash was to harsh and needed a more "universally illuminating light source"
2) if you use an extremely wide angles lens a taller flash should be preferred to a shorter one (in relation to the actual source of light from the lens) since it is less likely to result in sharp/harsh shadows from the camera/lens itself
3) I would suggest getting some type of means to diffuse the light in case head on it is too harsh and there aren't any substantial objects to bounce the light off of(such as a filter that covers actual  "flash"part of unit or hood that goes around the actual flash)
4) Deciding if one battery type is preferred by yourself over another
5) The majority of use the flash will be for (such as if for the occasional snap shot in which you have time to set up the composition in the frame or for a sports event) will determine of alot of qualifying factors since it will determine the minimum limits for refresh rate (how fast the flash can be fired again since there is no use to purchase a unit just because it has the fastest refresh rate if you are going to take a few seconds to compose the frame anyway or purchase a unit that may have a "slower" rate if it is for something fast paces such as "action shots" of a sport outing or the like......as well as determining the minimum reach of the flash since again it would be useless to by a flash so powerful it blinds every subject and illuminate objects miles away if it is on a camera that is sitting on a tripod positioned a few feet from the group being photographed or purchasing a flash meant for more intimate settings that can not effectively light the touchdown and the players that are sitting yards away)
6) and one must decided on a rough limit and overall "class" of flash you are looking for since there are honestly SO many choices out there and the differences can be extremely subtle at times outside of the name printed on each flash

Personally, I use a $15 dollar vintage and manually set Minolta flash since it provides all the light I could need and does everything I ask of it, although I am honestly debating whether or not I will purchase a used SB600 (I use the Nikon platform) not because I need it but because:
1) It offers more options a.k.s. learning opportunities
2) It is Nikon...
3) It would be more so an upgrade so that I could mentally feel more "equipped" to deal with a wider variety of situations even if the truth be that I never actually do experience a situation that I could not just as easily have dealt with using my flash now

I hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back