Flash based sound quality
Feb 15, 2005 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bigwill

New Head-Fier
What do you guys have to say about the iaudio players? I'm really looking between the Iaudio U2 or the muvo n200. Comment on these players or any other players. I've heard about too many issues about iriver to really consider them...

G3? U2? cw400 (4)? what are the differences between these iaudio players

Mar 17, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 7
From reading these forums it seems the Muvo N200 amp is somewhat lacking.
Leaving the Iaudio(G3,U2,4 and 5) and Muvo TX as the only real competitors.

With regards to sound quality; it seems like there's a general need for a detailed description of differences in dsp and amps between different models.
I would really like a comparison between flashplayers from Iaudio, Apple, Creative(sigh) and Iriver.

I have been furiously trying to find out if the output stage of the ipod shuffle was worth the hassle of no screen.

We still need some expert* answers here please
smily_headphones1.gif

*(anyone daring enough to venture into the belly of hirs flashplayer)

Mar 18, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 7
One thing to be aware of that i've heard a number of people talking about here is the sound q of the muvo. Apparently when the backlight on there is a buzzing noise that comes through the headphone and some clicks and pops while changing tracks and every once in a while in the middle of the track.

Mar 18, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 7
I have a Muvo. The backlight does indeed cause a buzzing, but it's quite low and not generally noticeable unless a song is a low volume portion. As to the "clicks and pops while changing tracks", I have no idea what you're talking about. In the roughly two months I've had the unit it has occasionally had some static bursts, each lasting roughly the length of a finger snap and being at the same volume as the song. This has happened roughly five times, and only in the left earbud, so I've been assuming it's a problem with those and not the Muvo. I have been happy enough with the unit to order a Zen Micro, personally.

A note outside the sound quality: I don't think they push it much, but the line-in feature on the Muvo really is nifty. Play in anything out of a standard headphone jack (the small sort, obviously) and it converts it to mp3 on the fly. Because the thing works like a USB, you can then pop the files onto any computer. It also means you can get songs from other people with mp3 players away from a computer, or get them off a CD player, etc. I also don't think anything else on the market, by Creative or otherwise, has this line-in feature. </salespitch>

Mar 18, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm with Bigwill on this one, the differences of the Iaudio players anyone?

Furthermore a list of components used in the Iaudio, Apple, Creative and Iriver would be a great help in making an informed choice. Come on, if people in these forums can discuss modding of soundcards for better sound quality, then wouldn't it be unlikely if there weren't somebody who knew the technical aspects of the major flash players?

I know that the "sigmatel" dsp is used in both Shuffle and Muvo TX and appearently also Iaudio's products?.

Mar 18, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 7
I have both a Muvo N200 512mb and an Iaudio 5 1GB, one for Audible books and the other for music and audiobooks.

The Muvo N200 has been rock solid; however, I did have a problem with the battery door. The latch was somewhat flimsy. It took two and half months for the RMA and repair. They shipped me back the wrong unit twice. In any case, I have encountered no hangs or crashes. The N200 is a simple player / recorder. The menus are on the simple clean side. For sound enhancement, there is only the EQ options. There are no record level controls. The track order is alphabetical by filename. The N200 only supports folders at the root level. The screen is very small and dim. The line-in jack is a sub-mini jack.

On the plus side, the N200 is SMALL and LIGHT. There are real USA reps on the other side of the telephone calls. The N200 supports Audible tracks!!! The sound quality is very good. Encoding bitrate goes up to 160kbps MP3. The N200 is one of the least expensive player/recorders on the market and it comes with an armband and a true belt clip case.

The Iaudio 5 adds to what the N200 presents. Its screen is almost FOUR times the size of the N200 screen and more than twice as bright with colors. The screen displays vue meters and song info like bitrate and sampling rate. The sound quality is very good with many sound enhancements available such as BBE, SRS, MP3 enhance, and EQ settings. The battery life at 20 hours is better than the N200's 15 hours. The output power is noticeably stronger than the N200. The Iaudio 5 is significantly larger than the N200 even though both only use a AAA battery. The Iaudio 5 screen stuff defines the larger size. The I5 supports multi-level directories, on-the-fly playlists, 20 bookmarks that show book titles for remembering your place in audiobooks, etc., song order based upon filename, file date, download order. There are record level controls for voice and line-in recording. There is a true real-time clock to support file time-date stamping, wakeup alarm, and wakeup recording functions. The line-in jack is a standard mini-jack. And the Iaudio 5 plays OGG files. And there is much more.

On the minus side, the Iaudio 5 has a top encoding rate of 128kbps MP3. It does not come with a true belt clip case. Its case has a belt loop. The USB door hinge is delicate.

The difference between the N200 and Iaudio 5/U2/G3 is striking since they use the same basic chipset. Iaudio seemed to exploit most every function the chipset provides.

The Iaudio 5/U2/G3 are functionally the same except for the size, screen, main control, and power supply. The U2 and G3 use a joystick. The I5 uses two jogwheels. The U2 uses a rechargeable battery that lasts for up to 20 hours and charges via the USB port. The I5 uses a AAA battery. The G3 uses a AA battery for up to 50 hours of life. The U2 and G3 have the same basic screen. The I5 has double the screen size with some extra information and larger display items as well as multiple colors. The U2 is about 1/3 smaller in volume than the I5 and G3 which are similar in volume. The I5 has superb styling from every side.

I chose the Iaudio 5 for the larger screen and the jogwheel controls. My second choice would be the U2 for its small size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back