Flash based DAP with LOD other than IPOD?
Dec 21, 2008 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jvgig

Head-Fier
Is there a flash based player with a capacity of 32gb with an expandable memory slot (for a total of 64gb) that has LOD capabilities?

Obviously battery life and build quality are important as well. Flac file compatibility is required as well.

Thanks

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 8
No DAP is perfect, but I believe you have asked for the impossible heh. What you are describing is just shy of the perfect DAP. The only thing you forgot to add on is that it must have gapless playback as well which outside of Ipod, no one practically has.

Lots of brands have LOD capabilities through big stationary and non-travel friendly proprietary docks like Sansa and Sony. Or did you mean like what Ipod DIYers have been making to hook up their Ipods to portable amps? So far no one else but Ipod's can do that. Current Sansa and Sony owners are out of luck in that department.

And outside of the 32 GB Ipod Touch, there practically are no other 32 GB flash based DAP out. I know Cowon and Sony are going to release some in the near future, but they are not out now. Because of the unavailability of 32 GB flash players, there are none with expansion memory slots (keep in mind at least for now, who knows what the future will bring). The Cowon and Sony 32 GB players coming out in the near future also do not have any memory expansion slots.

Also if FLAC is a requirement then you are further alienating your choices. At the 32 GB size level for a flash DAP, your only choices would be just about Cowon and Ipod (Ipod through ALAC).

The closest I have seen a company even tackle some of your options is Cowon through Cowon D2. Long battery life, plays FLAC, does not have 32 GB internal memory but it does have 16 GB internal memory and it has SDHC expansion slot (meaning you can get a 32 GB SDHC there). It does not however have LOD capabilities.

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And outside of the 32 GB Ipod Touch, there practically are no other 32 GB flash based DAP out.

Not exactly true. Creative have had 32GB DAPs (both old Zen and X-Fi versions) for quite some time now. Quite reasonably priced too. Then there's that Cowon O2 and Sandisk's Sansa View (which can be expanded to 48GB using a 16GB card).

Dec 22, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 8
To be fair I did say practically no other heh. Plus, from what others have stated, I thought the Creative line was not a great sounding DAP, just decent which would not serve FLAC files all too well (if it even supports that). Not to mention they do not have an intergrated music database for the internal and expansion memory (like the recent Sansa and Cowon players do) as Waveblade reminded us about.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 8
I just figured that some company would figure out that that would produce a really nice unit, especially since the technology is all readily available and one would think not too terribly difficult to implement. I guess I will just have to wait and hope that they figure it out for next year's line. You could take out the touch screen of the touch and stick in an sd slot and have yourself one incredible player.

In such a fast paced society and with the vast libraries many people are collecting, you would expect the high capacity/expandable flash based product to be an obvious addition to every product line.

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 8
not with the price involved in the chips it isnt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back