Flash based dap for ER4S (unamplified)
Apr 7, 2008 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kmcdonou

100+ Head-Fier
I have an Imod, Ety er4s headphones, and a Meier Corda Move that I really like. However, I need a flash based dap for cycling and I really don't want to buy another set of headphones.

Had I been thinking about all my possible uses for a dap, I would have originally bought the er4p headphones with the s-adapter. Is there any flash based dap with excellent sound quality that would power the er4s headphones to reasonable volumes?

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cowon D2?

Why do you suggest this dap?

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 19
Excellent sound quality and it is one of the more powerful DAP's around in terms of output.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent sound quality and it is one of the more powerful DAP's around in terms of output.

That's good to know about the powerful output. Seems like that would be important with the high impedance of the er4s.

One thing I've wondered about is I've heard the D2 can sound cold and sterile. I've also read where people say this is rubbish. Since the Etys have an emphasis on the higher frequencies, I am wondering how they will pair with the D2 as far as tone. I bought the Corda Move because it has a good amount of bass. When I first listen to the Etys and the Move after a long time, the Etys still seem to emphasize the upper frequencies, but after a bit, I don't seem to mind or notice it.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 19
I think it is a little on the cold side compared to some other DAPs, but I'd say a lot of that is exaggerated, and the sound is highly adjustable through the EQ and sound enhancement features, which are much more useful than those normally found on MP3 players. I haven't used the Etys, so maybe someone else can give you more insight on that pairing.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 19
To turn 4S into 4P the only way is to replace the whole cable which could be a solution for kmcdonou (you could then use the PtoS little adapter with your Move).

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 19
the er4s (i am one of the few) sounds great out of the headout of a player. the fact that it is high imp and relatively low sensitivity makes it suffer less bass-roll off than many other phones - and the er4s needs all the bass it can get.

i used it with ipod, cowon d2 and meizu m6. the cowon was my least favourite with it, but it might work for you. excellent phones but they have quite a small stage that coupled with the relatively small stage of the cowon, makes music that needs emotion sound a little like an announcement.

the meizu is warmer, has a very powerful amplifier as well though maybe not as upper spec for distortion as the d2 on high volumes. that said, as for driving volume, i never needed more than 50% from either player with the er4s.

the meizu just was more natural with those phones. i found the cowon spanked the meizu when paired with my dt880 however but... anything else was just not as good.

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the er4s (i am one of the few) sounds great out of the headout of a player. the fact that it is high imp and relatively low sensitivity makes it suffer less bass-roll off than many other phones - and the er4s needs all the bass it can get.

i used it with ipod, cowon d2 and meizu m6. the cowon was my least favourite with it, but it might work for you. excellent phones but they have quite a small stage that coupled with the relatively small stage of the cowon, makes music that needs emotion sound a little like an announcement.

the meizu is warmer, has a very powerful amplifier as well though maybe not as upper spec for distortion as the d2 on high volumes. that said, as for driving volume, i never needed more than 50% from either player with the er4s.

the meizu just was more natural with those phones. i found the cowon spanked the meizu when paired with my dt880 however but... anything else was just not as good.

The meizu is one of the daps I am seriously considering. It doesn't sound like the Cowon is going to be very good with my headphones. The other daps I've read lots of good things about are the Sony Walkman players. I don't remember the model numbers off the top of my head. Anyone try the Etys with these?

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #12 of 19
the sony is particularly good at driving low imp high sensitivity phones: not like the er4s. i am not sure: have not heard the two together but all my experience of the sony and non-sensitive phones that have high imp rating do not sound so good compared to anything else i have heard. i think there is a heap of extra gain on the sony that makes it strained with big phones and perhaps the er4s.

keep in mind, i have not heard the pair together. they may be okay. the sony does have a more warmish (just better bass for small phones) sound presentation.

personally, i would stick with the meizu as it will power more phones better (just not low imp phones) but if you ever want to go low imp phones: you could get an amp or an impedance cable which I am using with my ipod touch and i am sure even the sony and meizu when used with it will not hiss.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 19
I doubt Sony or Meizu can drive ER4S without amp.
I don't have ER4S but I have PK1 with is high imp.
Both Sony A818 cannot drive PK1 with good result.
M6SL has better power output but is bad on details.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #14 of 19
I am biking with this dap and not sitting down for critical listening. That said, the dap has to reproduce good sound that is not muddy or tonally out of balance. If it is clear and has decent tonal balance, I'll probably be pretty happy with it. Also, it has to go to decent volume levels.

I guess I'll try the M6 to start unless there are other suggestions worth considering.

Apr 8, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the D2 and I loved the ER-6i. But I did not enjoy the two together unless paired with my Tomahawk. I'd say my experience with the Etys and D2 is similar to Shigzeo.

I presume the two of them together and by themselves lacked quite a bit of warmth?

Between the M6SL and and one of the Sony AXXX series, I would recommend the Sony.

I had my Meizu for six months before selling it and getting a Zune. I bought a A818 and had it for a week, but returned it because the small amount of sound detail it had over my Zune didn't justify keeping it, and the screen was a bit too small to watch video on, which is a must for me.

It had a warm signature, but at the same time was very detailed and, even with IEMs, had a great soundstage, something like listening to the music in the studio or coliseum from where it was being recorded. Very realistic. The hype behind it is very much warranted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back