FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Sep 8, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #196 of 1,354
Oh no, not that one. I meant I got an actual email from the Team Flare email address. The KS Flare email was what you mentioned, but I also got one directly from Flare around the same time that's just a bunch of broken image links and a return address. It was in my junk mail box, dunno if anyone else saw theirs?
The email said that if you send back your R2s to them then they'll discount the Flares Pro, £120 off. They even say they'll trust you will send it back to them and ship out the new pros upon order.

Sep 8, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #199 of 1,354
The email said that if you send back your R2s to them then they'll discount the Flares Pro, £120 off. They even say they'll trust you will send it back to them and ship out the new pros upon order.

As a company, Flare Audio is really great at honoring their customers. I'm going to be sending the FlaresPro back for inspection, but I was given some options which are quite generous considering the time frame of this. I'm already probably going to be a bit delayed now, as I have a health issue to deal with in the next 8 days, but hopefully will get some time to prepare the return.

Sep 8, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #200 of 1,354
As a company, Flare Audio is really great at honoring their customers. I'm going to be sending the FlaresPro back for inspection, but I was given some options which are quite generous considering the time frame of this. I'm already probably going to be a bit delayed now, as I have a health issue to deal with in the next 8 days, but hopefully will get some time to prepare the return.
Hope your health improves quickly and you get the Flares sounding as desired.

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #203 of 1,354
I have the Flare R2As for sale or Trade (for a good Dac if possible) if anyone is interested. PM me

How do they sound compared with the FlaresPro?

btw, Flare Audio is being extremely nice regarding my delay in getting things shipped back to them. I was hoping to have it ready today, but I've had a few stops to make with my medical needs. Even with the issue I have with the FlaresPro I've had, I'd still recommend buying their products. I may even get one of their Isolate products, if they'll ever make one with an attachable mini-string. I'm going to ask.

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #204 of 1,354
How do they sound compared with the FlaresPro?

btw, Flare Audio is being extremely nice regarding my delay in getting things shipped back to them. I was hoping to have it ready today, but I've had a few stops to make with my medical needs. Even with the issue I have with the FlaresPro I've had, I'd still recommend buying their products. I may even get one of their Isolate products, if they'll ever make one with an attachable mini-string. I'm going to ask.

The Pros do sound more detailed and have more bass to the sound making it feel bigger sounding IMO. However, this also makes the mids of the R2A shine a little more than the Pros. I'm not using any dac at the moment, just plain macbook/iphone directly so don't hold me on that as someone on this thread was quick to point out to me that they do sound quite similar when paired with a good dac. There's something about the R2As though (currently for me) that makes me want to keep listening to it when I put them on. Though you can tell that the PROs are better, I'm pretty sure some people's tastes might side with the R2As.

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #205 of 1,354
The Pros do sound more detailed and have more bass to the sound making it feel bigger sounding IMO. However, this also makes the mids of the R2A shine a little more than the Pros. I'm not using any dac at the moment, just plain macbook/iphone directly so don't hold me on that as someone on this thread was quick to point out to me that they do sound quite similar when paired with a good dac. There's something about the R2As though (currently for me) that makes me want to keep listening to it when I put them on. Though you can tell that the PROs are better, I'm pretty sure some people's tastes might side with the R2As.
Seeing that I like the bass and the mids on the FlaresPro (Just not the upper treble, obviously), if the R2A has less bass and more pronounced Mids, I may actually like the R2A more.

My remaining question though, is how the treble sounds? I like detail in the lower treble, though of course not to where there is sibilance, hiss, and fizz issues. Also important, is the upper treble less bright? I may be interested getting them if everything is right.

I'm still very happy with the Massdrop Edition HiFMan RE-00 which Head-Fi member, goodvibes kindly gave to me. Still, it would be nice to have a good-sounding product from Flare Audio, since I really like the company and their sound for the most part is really good.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #206 of 1,354
Seeing that I like the bass and the mids on the FlaresPro (Just not the upper treble, obviously), if the R2A has less bass and more pronounced Mids, I may actually like the R2A more.

My remaining question though, is how the treble sounds? I like detail in the lower treble, though of course not to where there is sibilance, hiss, and fizz issues. Also important, is the upper treble less bright? I may be interested getting them if everything is right.

I'm still very happy with the Massdrop Edition HiFMan RE-00 which Head-Fi member, goodvibes kindly gave to me. Still, it would be nice to have a good-sounding product from Flare Audio, since I really like the company and their sound for the most part is really good.

The treble in the R2As sound less harsher than the Pros though I wouldn't say it (R2A) has more detail but not that far off IMO. Maybe it's due the soundstage on the R2As (being more forward sounding) that you don't feel the harshness in your ear as much. Also tips do go a long way to affect the high ranges. With complys..for instance, I find them great for the R2As but sounding a but muffled on the pros. However, I'm very sensitive to harshness in the treble range so things that sound ok for some might turn out to be too high for me.

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #207 of 1,354
The treble in the R2As sound less harsher than the Pros though I wouldn't say it (R2A) has more detail but not that far off IMO. Maybe it's due the soundstage on the R2As (being more forward sounding) that you don't feel the harshness in your ear as much. Also tips do go a long way to affect the high ranges. With complys..for instance, I find them great for the R2As but sounding a but muffled on the pros. However, I'm very sensitive to harshness in the treble range so things that sound ok for some might turn out to be too high for me.

How much would you be willing to sell your R2A for?

I have a spare MeridianExplorer2, if you're interested in a very good portable dac. I received two of them from the store I got it from, due to a shipping issue. I personally highly recommend the Meridian Explorer2 dac. I'd say the sound is mostly neutral on it, though it slightly does increase the lower treble region, though nothing harsh, etc.

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #209 of 1,354
How much would you be willing to sell your R2A for?

I have a spare MeridianExplorer2, if you're interested in a very good portable dac. I received two of them from the store I got it from, due to a shipping issue. I personally highly recommend the Meridian Explorer2 dac. I'd say the sound is mostly neutral on it, though it slightly does increase the lower treble region, though nothing harsh, etc.

I would be very interested in trading it for the explorer 2. It's funny because that's one of the dacs I was really interested in..lol

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #210 of 1,354
I would be very interested in trading it for the explorer 2. It's funny because that's one of the dacs I was really interested in..lol
Sorry I'm a bit late in responding today. I just woke up recently and checked my email from Flare. They are absolutely great responding to emails and I was writing back to them for a bit before visiting Head-Fi. I also slept late today from having a bad "chill attack" last night where my nerves freeze up and I have to spend a few hours in the bathtub in whirlpool-like temperatures. I may need to get one of those walk in tubs that have more space and have some sort of nice audio setup to keep me calm during these, as they've been happening more lately. I've tried going into water with one of those waterproof bluetooth earphones, but they sound terrible to me with bass that is really muddy sounding.

Anyways, I'd be interested in trading the ME2 for the R2A. You could pm to me if you decide for it. I've never used the other ME2 I have, so its basically brand new. It definitely does Tidal MQA, though personally I'm not too fond of that feature, as I read its a lossy format. Ever since I got involved in HiFi audio, I've always kept to lossless, mostly Flac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back