FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Jul 1, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #859 of 1,354
Yeah, it's the same principle, I just took a pair of foam tips, de-core them and stuff the foam parts into spinfit (or whatever other tips you fancy)

Been using this hack since R2Pro's days, think it was even before Symbio Mandarin got introduced, they were still just 3M earplug foam with a hole cut in without the silicone part back then.

Jul 3, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #860 of 1,354
Just got my hands on Spinfit CP145. They fit much better than the standard CP100 thanks to larger inner diameter (4.5mm vs 3.8mm) and longer 'umbrella'.

Interestingly, I also feel that Gold's upper mid (or around female vocal region) gets pushed back a tad with these tips, which actually makes it more balanced than with CP100. Most importantly though, no more worries of the tips thinning out the gold coat on my the nozzle with these lol.

Now I'm curious about CP155, CP100Z and CP350... man these little pieces of silicone sure get expensive fast....

Edit: went back to CP100. vocals get pushed back a tad much for my taste, pretty good if you're looking for v-shape signatures though.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #861 of 1,354
anyone on this thread know what the resistance of these Golds are?

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #862 of 1,354
Does everyone else feel that drum cymbals are overly pronounced with the Pros? I hadn't really noticed it when i was using the wireless module but now i've gone wired, cymbals really tend to dominate any mix. I'm happy with rest of the sound however but it's definitely spoiling my enjoyment. Tips are Symbio by Mandarines.

Jul 25, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #865 of 1,354
They're holding up fine on my end as they're apparently kevlar-reinforced. The weakest link is actually the MMCX connectors, like usual with these connectors and why I wasn't keen on them using MMCX (and in a bizarre configuration at that). My Gold, out of all IEMs I've bought from Flare Audio, had one of its MMCX connectors failed right from the get go. Thankfully Flare customer service was pretty great and handled it professionally.

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #867 of 1,354
My Golds have arrived and I've been putting them through their paces over the last few days to see how much better they are than the Pros. First, an acknowledgement to Arysyn. Yes, the Pros do have a scratchy point in the treble and obviously your younger and more sensitive ears picked this up. It wasn't so bad for me but I did notice that there were sibilance issues, especially in recordings that didn't deal with this problem. Listening through the Golds, while the sibilance in one particular recording is still there it no longer bothers me.

I've decided that I will write a review of these iems but that's a few weeks away. I've spent the weekend making comparisons between the Golds and the Pros and also checking out tips. As far as the Flare tips go the silicons are better than the foams with improved clarity. However, these are both smashed by the Symbio Ws in all departments. The Symbios provide the best seal of any tips I've ever used and are better than my customs shelled R2As. The Flare tips just don't do this as well as the Symbios. I always felt the Flare tips were not properly set in my ears and in my right ear the Flare tips felt as if they were loose. The Symbios have solved this issue.

More to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back