Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Oct 8, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #3,019 of 3,098
One thing I am finding is that you can get too fussy when inserting the shells. I put them in tonight and the seal on both ears didn't feel right. After a few minutes of trying to get it right I gave up and just left them in. As my ears warmed up the acrylic shells the seal just took over. They sound great!

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #3,020 of 3,098
Use some of this:
http://www.hearingsavers.com.au/hearing-accessories/ear-lubricants/oto-ease/?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc&gclid=CjwKEAjwsuK_BRDD9ISR1bawwUwSJACbOiixFZik4zQImeeS2D6K0pmT-dQ9xHWdYt6VNeRWljK91hoCysXw_wcB

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #3,021 of 3,098
Meanwhile for those of us who don't have custom eartips, I found these to work exceptionally well for very cheap https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8pairs-16pcs-Noise-Isolating-Memory-Foam-5mm-Oval-Ear-Tips-Slow-Rebound-Eartips-For-In-Ear/32605250267.html

There are other sellers on AE that sell the same tips but I found that particular seller to be the cheapest. I still use the modded spinfit half-foam tips though since it gives me the best compromise between the low and mid-high. :wink:

(Bought and sold Zen 2 last month since I didn't find it comparable to R2Pro, at least driven by Mojo).

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #3,022 of 3,098
@sodesuka, I bought some VE Monk + and was considering the Zen some day. I tire of having things stuck in my ears at times. Expect the buds to struggle with deep bass compared to the R2Pro. Any other major short coming? Wish my R2Pro were less fiddly at times.

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #3,023 of 3,098
I prefer Monk+ to Zen 2 even though Zen 2 is more "refined" sounding. Its shortcoming is that it really can't be used with foams unless you want to end up with a very warm phones so it inevitably has even less sub-bass than Monk+ and sounds kinda incomplete as the result. I heard that Zen 1 is better in this regard so you might want to hunt that instead if you like VE sound (or wait for Nirvana).

The only thing either Zen 2 or Monk+ win against R2Pro is the openness peculiar of earbuds but even that is a narrow win. With the modded tips I use, R2Pro sounds just as open AND with very black background. Compared to using full foam, spinfit and half-foam sounds like there are air around the headstage, it's kinda hard to describe. Compared to using only spinfit, modded has low that sounds full similar to when I use foam tips but not as thick, which is perfect for me.

I'm still interested in trying custom tips but I'm waiting for the new Flares to land first....

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #3,025 of 3,098

I think there is a place in walking distance from me that does shells via ACS.... I will wait until the new Flares come out to check which I will want shells for.

I also found a couple of places that did shells but when I mentioned my Flares they weren't interested. They had a range of iems that they did shells for but weren't really prepared to go out of their way to do my Flares. One place used ACS shells.

Hearing aid suppliers and audiologists are very different in that they have to treat customers with so many different requirements that they have their own shell producers who will work with anything they ask for.

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #3,028 of 3,098
I've just discovered how tuneable the R2As are. Since I got them shelled I've been grabbing the tops of them to twist into my ears so they sit and seal correctly. Over time I've lost bass and wondered if it was my hearing or the Flares just deteriorating. I also noticed that bass balance had drifted towards my left ear.

Before putting them in tonight I had a look at them and saw that the gap between the cap and the body was much smaller on the right side than the left side. Thinking back to a post made by James444 a while ago I matched the gaps by unscrewing the right hand cap. Voila! Bass is back in a big way. What has been happening is that by rotating the iems slightly in my right ear to get a good seal I have been gradually been tightening the right hand cap - and therefore reducing the bass!

With the shells in my ears I can unwind or wind up the caps in situ and therefore tune the bass to my liking. Well done Flare on having an inifnitely tuneable iem. Makes the dial on the IE80 look very primitive indeed

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #3,029 of 3,098
  I've just discovered how tuneable the R2As are. Since I got them shelled I've been grabbing the tops of them to twist into my ears so they sit and seal correctly. Over time I've lost bass and wondered if it was my hearing or the Flares just deteriorating. I also noticed that bass balance had drifted towards my left ear.

Before putting them in tonight I had a look at them and saw that the gap between the cap and the body was much smaller on the right side than the left side. Thinking back to a post made by James444 a while ago I matched the gaps by unscrewing the right hand cap. Voila! Bass is back in a big way. What has been happening is that by rotating the iems slightly in my right ear to get a good seal I have been gradually been tightening the right hand cap - and therefore reducing the bass!

With the shells in my ears I can unwind or wind up the caps in situ and therefore tune the bass to my liking. Well done Flare on having an inifnitely tuneable iem. Makes the dial on the IE80 look very primitive indeed

Not sure if that was their original intent, but it does work
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back