Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
May 24, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #2,792 of 3,098
  I think spinfits are the only silicone tips that work well with the flare, at least that was the case for me. Oh and Ortofon came close.

I found a very good response also with the Sony Hybrid tips.

I'm impressed with all the modifications some of you are doing. I feel that the general impression is that these iems are really close to something bigger that is lost in some evidently unfortunate build/design decisions made by Flare. Will there be an answer from them?

Which changes would you all, flare r2 users, ask them as priorities for future designs? (or better, to implement on the ones we have)

I would love, for beginning, in spite of liking the removable end cap option that permits changing the drivers, that they could find a solution to mark a constant place where the caps should stay firm while closed, exactly in the place where they should be to offer the compensated sound they were created for (wow, i suspect that i broke all the english syntax in that sentence, time to go to bed)

That and a much, much better cable than the poor, sad and hungry thread they provide, of course.

May 25, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #2,793 of 3,098
here is in no particular importance, but flare probably wont change their existing iems.

put stress aleviation at jack, iphone would lay on side in pocket bend the cable at jack and sound stop playing
make bass volume distortion consistent
better design at caps where cable jams
make one iem instead of three just add differrent caps of differrent densities and layering of densities metals cause differrent densities of metal help differrent frequensies of sound, not only in quality but quantity too. softer metal help bass and denser improve high frequency. so if you layer differrent densities sheets of metal from softer closer to dynamic to denser away you get much better sound because each metal density improve sound.
and make it 250 euro for one tunable model.
plus filters may be good
add spiral dot and spin fit tips for the heck of it

May 25, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #2,794 of 3,098
  I found a very good response also with the Sony Hybrid tips.
>> I also tried the Sony hybrid tips (both the ones with and without foam) and to me it seemed like overall resolution was compromised compared to when using the Complys...

I'm impressed with all the modifications some of you are doing. I feel that the general impression is that these iems are really close to something bigger that is lost in some evidently unfortunate build/design decisions made by Flare. Will there be an answer from them?
>> At the moment Flare seems to be really silent and unresponsive... Perhaps they're struggling to decide how to move on from the R2 and its related issues.

Which changes would you all, flare r2 users, ask them as priorities for future designs? (or better, to implement on the ones we have)

I would love, for beginning, in spite of liking the removable end cap option that permits changing the drivers, that they could find a solution to mark a constant place where the caps should stay firm while closed, exactly in the place where they should be to offer the compensated sound they were created for (wow, i suspect that i broke all the english syntax in that sentence, time to go to bed)
>> (Seems like a perfectly acceptable sentence to me!) 
wink.gif
 But yeah, I agree that there should be a convenient way to check that the end caps are screwed to the position that would result in the intended sound signature...

That and a much, much better cable than the poor, sad and hungry thread they provide, of course.
>> This is definitely one of the main issues with the Flare IEMs. I noticed that even some very inexpensive Sony IEMs (less than $30) have sturdier-feeling/looking cables on them.

Somehow Flare seemed to have felt that by making the cable-driver component replaceable, they have covered the issue of cables potentially breaking etc. Instead it seems like they have deliberately created a problem (i.e. weak cable) so that you will go to them (i.e. bring them more business by buying the replacement cable-driver) to solve it. It's almost like Comply and their tips which require frequent replacement...

Also, it seems likely that the cable will always break more often and sooner than the driver, which means that many still perfectly functioning R2 drivers will go to waste when you need to replace the cable-driver components just because of a broken cable. Perhaps Flare should find a way to separate the cable from the driver so that users have the option to only replace the cable. This would definitely save many perfectly usable drivers (better for the environment). And also, only having to fiddle with the cable will save users from the hassle of ensuring that the end caps are screwed to the right position. To conclude, separating the cable and driver is better for (1) the environment, since no good driver goes to waste; (2) the users/their customers, since there's less fiddling involved; (3) Flare themselves, especially when customers are satisfied.

If Flare wants to boast about the benefits of a modular design, they should at least ensure that their components are of fairly decent quality, just like Sennheiser and their fully modular and well-built HD600 / HD650 headphones.

May 25, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #2,795 of 3,098
  Absolutely no way the wire got damaged by the custom tips fitting process. I got them done a couple of months ago with no issues. It is obvious that the wire was cut by the sleeve in the casing and that has nothing to do with it.

I'm going to hedge my bets. I've ordered this as a possible cable replacement if needed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Earmax-Upgrade-Silver-Audio-Cable-For-Sennheiser-IE80-IE8-IE8I-earphones-headset-/291768955812?hash=item43eec8f3a4:g:i98AAOSwGvhT7DHq

at the price it's a nobrainer and as I also have a pair of IE80s it will interesting to see if they make a difference.

Can't wait to see what custom sleeves do for the Flares.

May 25, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #2,796 of 3,098
I was thinking to order the same cable but it takes forever to get it from China. It needs to be really flexible or it will snap... Bloody Flare should get their act together and fix these cable issues.Build quality is simply ridiculous compared with the sound

May 25, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #2,799 of 3,098
Just got my replacement cable and am now reminded of how wonderful the Pros are after months without them. Vocal repoduction, resolution, Timbre and balanced but emotive frequency will probably have my other IEMs collecting dust for a while.

It really is a shame about the cables but I can't imagine ever parting with these little gems.

May 25, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #2,800 of 3,098
I haven't had any cable or balance issues myself on the R2A's, but couldn't help myself email Naomi (from Kickstarter), Facebook message, and send a tweet at them about these cable issues, lack of communication, delayed support, and no indication of further development/improvement. Hopefully I'll get some type of response, will forward on to everyone if I do. I'd also encourage you to respectfully inquire using public communication channels (or private). A coworker, who I convinced to back the Kickstarter, has had his cable go out and I really don't want it to happen to mine (I also feel bad)! These little guys sound too good!

May 25, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #2,801 of 3,098
The Flare cable problem is tricky. Can't change to fatter wire because of the slit in the earpiece. It could wreck the little strain relief that exists. Bigger worry is it might affect the sound tuning.

We have smart people here. Why can't we figure out a fix? My idea is to take a band of some type of soft rubber or plastic. Wrap band around flare earpiece and extend it down each side of the cable to add strain relief. Done correctly it would strengthen the cable exit point. If the band is open it could be wrapped around the Flare and wire without ever disassembling the housings. The band needs to clear the bottom of the earpiece slightly to make sure it doesn't mess with any porting thru the slot.

This band could snap together like Ferrite beads on cables. Hope this makes sense.

May 26, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #2,802 of 3,098
does the silver cable improve sound? or any cables here.

fishtank tube stress aleviates the jack and sellotape at iems makes wires point out seems to absorb stress at iem cables

May 26, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #2,803 of 3,098
I was thinking to order the same cable but it takes forever to get it from China. It needs to be really flexible or it will snap... Bloody Flare should get their act together and fix these cable issues.Build quality is simply ridiculous compared with the sound

I'll use this new cable with my IE80s and use their excellent cable to attach to my Flares. I'm still blown away at how good these sound and if customs sleeves make it even better then what more could I ask for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back