Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
May 12, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #2,761 of 3,098
Can anyone please tell if I need the CP100 or the CP800 spinfits for my R2Pros?
Also, regarding sizing, is there any comparison with the Sony Hybrids? I have found that th second size (from smaller to bigger) of the hybrids fit me great. 

CP100

Compared to the CP100 the Sony Hybrids EP-EX11LLB would be the closest match imo

May 12, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #2,763 of 3,098
Thank you very much.

I'll get the CP100.
I can find CP100 ''S'' and ''SS'' on amazon.uk and ''M'' and ''L'' of the CP800s. Do you think am I OK off getting the ''S'' ones? 

I can't comment on the size you'll need, it's a matter of personal fit, ear canal and preferences.

FYI, here's a piece I wrote on different tips
http://www.head-fi.org/t/739712/1964-ears-adel-iems/2370#post_11952543

May 12, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #2,764 of 3,098
I can't comment on the size you'll need, it's a matter of personal fit, ear canal and preferences.

FYI, here's a piece I wrote on different tips
http://www.head-fi.org/t/739712/1964-ears-adel-iems/2370#post_11952543

Thanks for the help. I'll have a look.

I'm between S and M judging by the sizing I prefer with my Sony Hybrids. Possibly, I'll get both sizes. 

May 13, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #2,766 of 3,098

I use vsd3s tips with vsd3s comply foam under flange. best sound for me, more fun sounding rather than resolution. some tips might make it sound boring so and vsd3s is the most fun iem ive heard, the tips seem to be part of why it sounds fun. also two layers of teabag over noozle. when i use it with zuperdac the resolution is more than needed. but on the go i use with iphone because of convenience

May 13, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #2,767 of 3,098
I've been kind of interested in trying a new IEM. The Flare R2A, Cardas A8 and RHA T20i have all caught my eye. Has anyone heard the R2A's and either of the other 2 and could give me a comparison?

May 13, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #2,768 of 3,098
Cable for my R2Pro broke months ago and I swore I wouldn't buy a replacement cable until Flare made something worth the price of admission.

However I am really starting to miss it. My Westone 3s and Vmoda M-100s aside from Bass Quantity are outclassed by the R2Pro and I may just cave in. Has anyone heard of Flare making a new cable?

May 13, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #2,769 of 3,098
They've been silent on their IEM front unfortunately, posting more news about their speaker range in their facebook page.

Quote:
  I've been kind of interested in trying a new IEM. The Flare R2A, Cardas A8 and RHA T20i have all caught my eye. Has anyone heard the R2A's and either of the other 2 and could give me a comparison?

I have the A8 but not the R2A. I do have R2Pro and R2S and I have to say that aside from bass quantity, A8 isn't even close to R2Pro or R2S. You need to use the comply to at least hear what they can offer though, and I think the fact that Flare only provide M size foam for the R2A and R2S might work against them.

May 13, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #2,770 of 3,098
  I have the A8 but not the R2A. I do have R2Pro and R2S and I have to say that aside from bass quantity, A8 isn't even close to R2Pro or R2S. You need to use the comply to at least hear what they can offer though, and I think the fact that Flare only provide M size foam for the R2A and R2S might work against them.

Interesting, if you have time, I'd be interested to hear more detail of the differences you hear.

May 13, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #2,771 of 3,098
Well I've put the A8 in its box after deciding to sell it but I'll whip it out to listen and compare a bit more critically when I have some free time. Just don't expect it to be anytime soon.
wink.gif

May 13, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #2,772 of 3,098
No worries, don't go to any trouble if you have them packed up. I'm pretty sure I'm going to grab one of the Massdrop R2A's. That seems like a pretty good price.

May 13, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #2,773 of 3,098
Any comparisons of R2S to the other R2 models per below? I have found very little said on the R2S as everyone seems to talk about the Alum or Titanium models.

I listened to someone's R2A a bit last week and liked much about the presentation:
  1. good sense of 3D body and space to the instruments;
  2. natural ease;
  3. decent bass depth, texture, and volume
  4. well-presented mids and vocals
  5. smooth, unfatiguing treble

However, I wouldn't buy them as it felt like there was a dip or a notch in the upper mids, right in the frequency range of soprano vocals or even violin (upper half). It almost felt like an out of phase problem, the suckout was large enough, and robbed soprano or high alto vocals and violins of a sweet energy or sparkle. Otherwise the R2A reminded me of the HiFiman RE262 with improved bass.

So if the Flare R2S keeps most of that R2A sonic signature but fixes the frequency suckout mentioned above, I'd be in. Any help in characterising the R2S?

May 13, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #2,774 of 3,098
I don't have the R2A to compare but I hear people saying that the upper mid is better on R2Pro and R2S compared to R2A (which is said to have bigger bass, probably because of that suckout). Comparing R2S to R2Pro, I found that they're very similar in tonal balance, perhaps the R2S is a bit brighter in the upper mid, however, upon further listen, I think R2Pro has better instrument separation, layering and definition, maybe it's the so-called resolution. It's not so evident at first listen, but since I've been using R2Pro for a long time before getting the R2S, listening to R2S made me feel like there were something missing.

Some members have found that it's more due to the difference in air flow of the housing since the cap is screwed tighter in the R2Pro and you can simulate the same sound with a mod, but I'm not skilled enough to try the mod to confirm it. You can find the mod here http://www.head-fi.org/t/766183/flare-audio-r2pro-kickstarter-campaign/1905#post_11842307

May 14, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #2,775 of 3,098
Interesting. Maybe the cap had been adjusted wrongly. I wish I still had access to the friend's R2A to play with the endcap and see if it would have corrected the problem with upper mids suckout, as that would make the R2A a good choice for me and save £50-100.

BTW: one can buy o-rings on ebay for cheap as long as they know the diameter and thickness they want. A lot easier than hunting for a pair of much more expensive eartips and then cannibalising them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back