Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 20, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #1,441 of 3,098
So got to get rid of my splitter weight!

I'm just getting so much constant microphonic rumble from it rubbing on my chest, must be at like 50dB.  Have it held between my teeth as I type and everything sounds so much clearer !!! LoL!

Gah, what a misguided last minute attempt at making their product more commercially accetable.. I blame the reviewer who wanted more "bling" for the money. Less is nearly always more.

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #1,442 of 3,098
By the way, I'm getting much better results now from the R2s having gone for the small Comply tips that came with the R2Pros. For my Shure se530s I've always used mediums but definately the smalls allow the r2s to be inserted that little bit further in so the driver is pointing right down the ear canal, centred inside so it is just pushing and pulling on the air inside it.

I will splash out I think on some blue and red smalls (maybe T500s T200s with no wax guard) and use the colours as left and right.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #1,444 of 3,098
Just got..this is my first pair of iems so didn't know what to expect. On first hearing.what's the fuss? They sound underpowered, a bit splashy,bass light.no matter how I adjust them they are completely underwhelming.
Looks like I've got another Philips x2 on my hands.. Six months trying to get them to sound good.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #1,445 of 3,098
Just got..this is my first pair of iems so didn't know what to expect. On first hearing.what's the fuss? They sound underpowered, a bit splashy,bass light.no matter how I adjust them they are completely underwhelming.
Looks like I've got another Philips x2 on my hands.. Six months trying to get them to sound good.

Have you squeezed the complies first before inserting it to your ears? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYpdm2qm6Pc

If that doesn't help, then I suggest to just sell the pair as someone will be sure to snatch it up if you sell it at KS' price. I dunno how anyone could call them bass light unless they're severe basshead or doesn't insert them properly.

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #1,447 of 3,098
Just want to say that the R2pros scale quite nicely with higher end sources. Listening to my Concero HD and Cayin C5 and it's beautiful

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,448 of 3,098
No bass at all.. And I'm definitely not a bass head.followed the instructions as said..can't see how I can insert them any more..is the 14 day return offer still in place?

Try a different set of tips or something. They definitely have a north-of-neutral bass response. Probably somewhere between the GR07 and M200 as far as quantity goes.

The R2A bass in sick. Powerful, turns on a dime, and with better texture than my haircut.:popcorn:

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #1,449 of 3,098
No bass at all.. And I'm definitely not a bass head.followed the instructions as said..can't see how I can insert them any more..is the 14 day return offer still in place?

It's not about how deep you can shove them, but getting the proper fit, you should notice it immediately when you do get one. Dunno about return policy since I'm not interested in doing that, hopefully someone can answer it, but it's probably better if you ask Flare directly instead.

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,450 of 3,098
I've had a day of listening to the R2A's now, and the instrument separation and detail is spectacular. Soundstage is huge (as everyone's also said), and the bass is strong and tight, whilst both the mids and treble hold their own nicely.

I thought my Ety ER4's were special, but these really do reveal that little bit more all-round plus that added bass kick.

I also found it really easy to use the supplied comply tips. I've ordered the non-waxguard variants as well to see how they fair, and will be sending off for a set of spinfits as well.

Clearly, people's mileage is varying, but for me, these little wonders are making my Ety's and HD700's sound quite pedestrian!

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,451 of 3,098

What were you listening to before and what plugged into? What you're used to can make a whole world of difference - it's amazing what they ear and brain can get used to and think of as normal.

I wouldn't return them - much easier and quicker I'd have thought to sell them on here for what you paid - they will be snapped up in no time and will expand the number of happy people having got them at the Kickstarter price.

Some earphones and headphones really make bass out of nothing when it's not there in the music (they exaggerate mid-bass to make the brain think there is more going on deeper). These, as with my Shure SE530s, only play beep bass when it is actually there in the music. So often it's not actually there because the file or hardware you're listening to hasn't got it. I get that fake bass whenever I listen to Dr Beats for example in shops, something which would seriously annoy me over time if I were to own a pair.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #1,452 of 3,098
  I've had a day of listening to the R2A's now, and the instrument separation and detail is spectacular. Soundstage is huge (as everyone's also said), and the bass is strong and tight, whilst both the mids and treble hold their own nicely.

I thought my Ety ER4's were special, but these really do reveal that little bit more all-round plus that added bass kick.

I also found it really easy to use the supplied comply tips. I've ordered the non-waxguard variants as well to see how they fair, and will be sending off for a set of spinfits as well.

Clearly, people's mileage is varying, but for me, these little wonders are making my Ety's and HD700's sound quite pedestrian!

It can creap up on you too the soundstage - relax, sit in the dark with no other thoughts and it gets wider. To me that is the brain tuning into a wholy natural sound and going with it (i.e. it's not thinking "these are headphones" on a subconcious level). Although that's with the Pro - until I get some more small tips, it's a pain to swap and compare properly. Richer Sounds here I come (who have thought I'd actively shop at Richer Sounds!)

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,453 of 3,098
Reading all these positive reviews maybe i was a little harsh only giving them an hour.  maybe i should give these a listen indoors when not walking and just see what they are really like.  i want to like them just from reading posts here.  

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #1,454 of 3,098
Got my 2xR2A package yesterday (Texas). Super pumped as I've had a pair of NuForce NE-7M's since 2009 haha. Don't have much comparative analysis to share, but I will say that they sound fantastic, and I'm happy my laptop and cellphone can drive them given everyone saying they take some juice. Curious if anyone has used their R2A's with a portable dac/amp? I'm thinking about getting a better setup for the office, mobile, and while traveling. HRT Microstreamer and Oppo HA-2 on the radar so definitely curious if anyone has any thoughts on those potential pairings.

I love comply tips for the fit and comfort and have been using them since the NuForces. I did order a set of spinfits for some tip rolling fun though, will report back on findings.

I also quickly removed the splitter weight for my set and the girlfriend's. To mark the right channel I used a bit of heatshrink tubing that happened to tightly fit the enclosure...without the need for heat (did not want to torch my set on the first day haha):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back