Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 14, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #1,291 of 3,098
Nice to see the trend of the comments being across the board continue. 
wink.gif
 I will say that being bass-deficient is the last thing I'm hearing from these earphones. Hmm...

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #1,293 of 3,098
Can anyone offer a comparison of the R2A with the RHA MA750? They are similar price and I hear some overlapping qualities from reading these impressions, just wanted to get a better reference to something Im familiar with. 

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #1,294 of 3,098
I think Flare will need to have a look at the whole value proposition as they move the R2's into retail if they want to do well against the likes of RHA.

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,296 of 3,098
They guy who wrote about distortion. You probably has a ****ty source(Fiio x1 and x3 are ****ty source which has no real bass).

I have listened them with Hifiman 603 and they are quite nice, no distortion at all but they require a lot of power to sound properly which luckily 603 has.

I would not say that they are revelation but they are quite nice and not ****ty at all. R2A price justifies their performance very well and I would say they may even be popular at their MSRP due to comfort&size. However they are usable only with comply tips as all the other silicon I tried makes them sibilant.

I feel sorry for those who payed for R2PRO though and I believe there is not a single person on this planet who will buy them for their announced MSRP :))

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #1,297 of 3,098
  They guy who wrote about distortion. You probably has a ****ty source(Fiio x1 and x3 are ****ty source which has no real bass).

I have listened them with Hifiman 603 and they are quite nice, no distortion at all but they require a lot of power to sound properly which luckily 603 has.

I would not say that they are revelation but they are quite nice and not ****ty at all. R2A price justifies their performance very well and I would say they may even be popular at their MSRP due to comfort&size. However they are usable only with comply tips as all the other silicon I tried makes them sibilant.

I feel sorry for those who payed for R2PRO though and I believe there is not a single person on this planet who will buy them for their announced MSRP :))

It's my first day with R2PROs today but I'm loving them so far. I had few 200-300GBP iems before (earsonics SM2, ie80, heir audio 3.ai) and I think R2PROs are better than all of them. I'm listening through HRT microstreamer. The only let down is the cable but I will upgrade it in the future.

What universal IEM's close to their MSRP of 400GBP do you think are better value?

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #1,299 of 3,098
Yes, they need amping like full-size cans (as do the Rockets, incidentally)!

I have found a good match in the hybrid Elekit TU-HP01 (upgraded with MUSES02 on the output). This is a fantastic-sounding portable amp with one Achilles' heel: HISSSSS. The R2As are the first IEMs I have heard which do not hiss on the end of this amp.

The BL-2 has a high output impedance (about 20 ohms, I think). It sounds incredible with the HD600, but doesn't match the R2A as well.

This (HM-650 / TU-HP01 / R2A) could be my new go-to IEM combo (for now)...

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #1,300 of 3,098

Firstly they are HALF the Volume of any other earphones I have and if you put enough power to them to bring them to a Respectable level and add ANY Bass, these distortionless earphones Distort like a Mutha, mostly prominent in Female Vocals

Do you mean adding bass via equaliser? Doing that could cause the distortion.

I have tried it on all my sources. Geek Pulse Fi, Calyx M, Kogan and Chord Hugo. None of them shows distortion in the R2Pro or R2A. I do have a few KZs as well, and I don't think any of the KZs are at the level of even R2A. They are worth what you pay for them, but not much of giant killers.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #1,301 of 3,098
My source is the HRT Microstreamer and at no point do I feel the R2A need more power; I'm also getting plenty of bass.  Some of the people having problems might be using Comply tips improperly.  When you're compressing the tip pull it gently back from the opening so that when it re-expands in your ear none of the foam is blocking the opening.  Better still ditch the Complys and go with a nice fitting silicone, wide bore tip.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #1,303 of 3,098
Which R2 have you heard?

I've had R2Pro on the go for a few days and also have R2A which I haven't listened to yet.
They are definitely growing on me - I think one of the early reviews suggested that they reveal their capabilities slowly and I think that's a good description. I haven't heard them from a decent source yet, only my Sansa Clip+ RockBox, iPhone 5 and briefly my HiFiMe DiY Sabre DAC unamped.
I've no doubt though that there'll be some combination of file, source, amp and tips that make them really sing.
I'm not keen on memory foam tips - too fiddly for me and I object to being forced to pay for consumables, and I think the cable looks cheap and lack of strain relief is a concern. No cinch and no shirt clip just seems mean for what they will be asking retail.
I will stick with them though - the sound is non-fatiguing, detailed, spacious... Who knows what the future holds - driver upgrades, balanced cables?
Can't wait to hear them with a decent source.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #1,304 of 3,098
I’m slowly going through my entire MJ remastered albums.. And savouring the extra details, depth and musicality that all my relatively mid to high end phones failed to bring out.. Even through my iPhone 6 Plus I’m finding myself amazed with how full sized these sound. I’m driving them easily at 2 from max volume. With the Hp-P1 and iQube I find some improvements but not enough to justify lugging them out with me to work. Reading all the skeptical reviews make me wonder if my ears have gone bad, or maybe their QC is really bad? These phones are amazing! I’ve been going back and forth between my EX1000 and the Sennheiser Momentum (my portable gear) and consistently preferring what I’m getting from the R2Pro.. Will uodate again once I burn through my Beetles collection.. audiophile voices 1-6.. Oh maybe Taylor Swift too!

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,305 of 3,098
I’m slowly going through my entire MJ remastered albums.. And savouring the extra details, depth and musicality that all my relatively mid to high end phones failed to bring out.. Even through my iPhone 6 Plus I’m finding myself amazed with how full sized these sound. I’m driving them easily at 2 from max volume. With the Hp-P1 and iQube I find some improvements but not enough to justify lugging them out with me to work. Reading all the skeptical reviews make me wonder if my ears have gone bad, or maybe their QC is really bad? These phones are amazing! I’ve been going back and forth between my EX1000 and the Sennheiser Momentum (my portable gear) and consistently preferring what I’m getting from the R2Pro.. Will uodate again once I burn through my Beetles collection.. audiophile voices 1-6.. Oh maybe Taylor Swift too!

This. I'm thinking of selling my Focal Spirit Pros because these give the same sized sound, more air and an obviously much more convenient form factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back