Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 7, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #1,069 of 3,098
@WCDchee
Thank you for your comparison, this is awfully useful. I guess both R2A and Pros have their strengths and it really depends on what kind of music one listens to. I've a question though, is the treble on the Pros harsh/fatiguing with the supplied Comply tips?

Very smooth and non-aggressive treble. Their overall sound signature is very polite. It's good with acoustic jazz but not so good with industrial, dubstep or metall.

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #1,070 of 3,098
Try not using comply tips, it really is a bit too dark with them. I'm liking spinfit more than comply.

Some observation:
- Female vocal is rendered naturally, not forwarded or glossed. This may or may not be a bad thing for some, I personally prefer if it's a bit more forward. Vocal intelligibility is still quite good.
- However, with some recording it could sound forward and glossed over, so this probably depends on your collection.
- Bass detail is very good, completely don't sound one note. Note weights sounds right.
- Bass amount is quite enough for me, anymore and I don't think I could stomach it.
- The y-split isn't as obstructive as I thought it'd be and does help make the fit stable when you're wearing the IEM over ear. However I still need cable cinch... :frowning2:

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #1,071 of 3,098
  I actually am using spinfits with them this week. I do think spinfits go well with them. wide bores make treble shouty.

The large Comply are too small for me (actually, too short to get a good seal.) I need something with a tri-flange more akin to the Etymotics.

What size/bore do these new Flares use? (What size Spinfit would I order)?

If I was looking to other brands tips (e.g. Shure) for compatibility, which would be a commonly seen IEM where the tip would fit my new Flares?

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,072 of 3,098
Since these come with the tx200 anything that takes the 200 size comply will fit. I am using Sony (hybrid) tips that came with the XBA3. They fit perfect and can be inserted deeper. Better seal and same comfort to me. They also have a much more narrow bore. Klonatans stated before that they sound very polite and I think that is exactly how I feel about them. Also to me the bass on the R2A is just a tad more than I like but I am still burning them in. I always use this track to test IEMs. If they can handle this then they are usually a keeper for me. I feel there is a little bit of congestion in there but overall they perform really well. Going to give them some more time or me to adjust. I think I will like these.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,074 of 3,098
Got mine for $6 a pair from a local group buy. It seems that there are two version of spinfit, the one marketed in Japan and the global one. They use different silicone, and the Japanese/Ocharaku one is softer, or so I'm told.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,075 of 3,098
  Got mine for $6 a pair from a local group buy. It seems that there are two version of spinfit, the one marketed in Japan and the global one. They use different silicone, and the Japanese/Ocharaku one is softer, or so I'm told.

Not sure if anything have changed, maybe Jaben in Singapore is now the reseller?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/748473/spinfit-eartips-thread-the-cheapest-audio-upgrade/60

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #1,076 of 3,098
Got them finally....

Edit:

Much harder to drive than the SD3, high gain on my C&C BH amp.

Initial thoughts after various tips (Comply/SpinFits/Westone(bloody hard to get on)/Samsung/Ortofon (best tip) - bass has good slam, space is good, mids seems OK, treble artificial at the top end (cymbals). These will have to improve with burn in to get close to the SD3 level let alone something custom like (as reviewed).

Early days I suppose.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #1,077 of 3,098
Not sure if any of you remember reading one of Davies' posts in the KS comments section, but he actually mentioned that due to the pressure-balanced design of the R2, hardware burn in won't be relevant.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #1,079 of 3,098

He also said tip rolling wouldn't be relevant. Everyone else seems to disagree, though.

Let's wait and see.

Haha! Those are two pretty different things as one is more easily noticeable than the other... I must say I was really skeptical when he said that tip rolling wouldn't affect the sound...

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #1,080 of 3,098
Got them finally....

Edit:

Much harder to drive than the SD3, high gain on my C&C BH amp.

Initial thoughts after various tips (Comply/SpinFits/Westone(bloody hard to get on)/Samsung/Ortofon (best tip) - bass has good slam, space is good, mids seems OK, treble artificial at the top end (cymbals). These will have to improve with burn in to get close to the SD3 level let alone something custom like (as reviewed).

Early days I suppose.

Which pair did you get? Impressions for these things seem to be all over the place lol. I can't say I'm thrilled about the impressions that point towards a "very polite" signature, but I guess the writing was on the wall when reviews mentioned laidback treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back