Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 7, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #1,051 of 3,098

It's a bit bizarre and unconsistent. Everything went well in my case (Germany), I got an email with a tracking number and it was delivered the next day. However it's strange to read that people outside EU have to pay some handling fee to UPS, bearing in mind that delivery was announced as free.

That's not bizarre at all - it's the law.  Customs duties and extra shipping agent fees for imported items outside of trading regions is to be expected.  UPS are charged by customs and they pass that cost on to the receiver, plus their own levy. 

Flare were perfectly correct in saying delivery was free - they didnt charge any extra for it.  Beyond that, its out of their control.

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #1,053 of 3,098
  The handling fee is usually charged for handling the process of custom clearance. From my experience, it won't be charged if there's no custom tax being imposed. 

Even if there is not tax being imposed, every items entering a country has to go through customs. And UPS, well Asia Pacific UPS, always charge handling fee for each and any items.
Well I sent an ATM card once and that was not charged, but other than that, I always got charged regardless of whether I receive import tax or not...

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #1,054 of 3,098

It's a bit bizarre and unconsistent. Everything went well in my case (Germany), I got an email with a tracking number and it was delivered the next day. However it's strange to read that people outside EU have to pay some handling fee to UPS, bearing in mind that delivery was announced as free.

Both UK and Germany are in EU, so no import taxes = no handling fee

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #1,055 of 3,098
Both UK and Germany are in EU, so no import taxes = no handling fee

I'm wonderîng if there might be some sort of rort here? I've received numerous packages from overseas including 100+ CD boxes without the shipping agent charging me any import tax? It's up to Australian customs to hold the item and charge the duties if they so wish. Are UPS making a bit of a side profit with this and I wonder if Flare would be happy to send via registered post? It's just as quick.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #1,056 of 3,098
I'm wonderîng if there might be some sort of rort here? I've received numerous packages from overseas including 100+ CD boxes without the shipping agent charging me any import tax? It's up to Australian customs to hold the item and charge the duties if they so wish. Are UPS making a bit of a side profit with this and I wonder if Flare would be happy to send via registered post? It's just as quick.

Customs are customs, handling fee is handling fee. FedEx also ask for handling fee.
It's the fee they ask for handling the item from the Country's point of entry (port, airport), to your place.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #1,057 of 3,098

Customs are customs, handling fee is handling fee. FedEx also ask for handling fee.
It's the fee they ask for handling the item from the Country's point of entry (port, airport), to your place.

That charge ought to be costed to the account holder though - in this instance Flare? I can see how the additional customs fee could be requested upon receipt of goods from the receiver, since that will vary case by case - but the shipping charge itself to Flare should include everything else.

I guess what UPS are doing  - and probably others - is making an extra percentage on the customs charge on top?

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #1,058 of 3,098

That charge ought to be costed to the account holder though - in this instance Flare? I can see how the additional customs fee could be requested upon receipt of goods from the receiver, since that will vary case by case - but the shipping charge itself to Flare should include everything else.

I guess what UPS are doing  - and probably others - is making an extra percentage on the customs charge on top?

I guess you can say so. There is also Warehouse Fee and Admin Fee on top of the Handling Fee.
In my experience, the Handling fee goes up not because of how much you got charged by import tax, but how expensive your total CIF are.
I mean... the import tax percentage for a $150 shoes and $150 IEM might not be the same, but the handling fee will relatively be the same.
Probably the shoe costs more just because it's bigger, so needs more "handling"

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #1,059 of 3,098
@WCDchee
Thank you for your comparison, this is awfully useful. I guess both R2A and Pros have their strengths and it really depends on what kind of music one listens to. I've a question though, is the treble on the Pros harsh/fatiguing with the supplied Comply tips?

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #1,060 of 3,098

I guess you can say so. There is also Warehouse Fee and Admin Fee on top of the Handling Fee.
In my experience, the Handling fee goes up not because of how much you got charged by import tax, but how expensive your total CIF are.
I mean... the import tax percentage for a $150 shoes and $150 IEM might not be the same, but the handling fee will relatively be the same.
Probably the shoe costs more just because it's bigger, so needs more "handling"

But the CIF fee is surely calculable and billable back to the sender?  I mean, if I set up an account with UPS, I would expect to be charged for shipping it from me to the end point. UPS website helps you calculate that as accurately as possible too.  

The import tax is of course a different variable, so understandably should be with the receiver to pay.  

Be interested to hear from someone who has been charged for their R2s if there is a breakdown on the UPS bill.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #1,061 of 3,098

But the CIF fee is surely calculable and billable back to the sender?  I mean, if I set up an account with UPS, I would expect to be charged for shipping it from me to the end point. UPS website helps you calculate that as accurately as possible too.  

The import tax is of course a different variable, so understandably should be with the receiver to pay.  

Be interested to hear from someone who has been charged for their R2s if there is a breakdown on the UPS bill.

I always throw the invoice away but i still remember my Magni 2 Uber FedEx billing

Handling Fee $45
Import Tax 10%*$185 + 5%*185 + 15%*185
Admin Fee $3.5
Warehouse fee $5

The shoe happen to cost around the same with the Magni so I reckon handling fee does not depends on percentage of Import Tax because shoes import tax are Largely Different than the Magni.

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #1,062 of 3,098
Frankly, the handling fee that sometimes UPS charges doesn't really make sense, at least to me.

International shipments HAVE to go through customs (unless within the EU), and UPS/FedEx/DHL etc know perfectly well how it cost to ship, and that there will be work to do to clear customs. While it is perfectly logical to charge the final recipient the actual import duties (it IS the final recipient who "triggers" the event that makes them applicable, as he/she is the importer), the handling fee, to my eyes, is just overcharging for a work that the courier should do as part of their job anyway (without clearing customs they couldn't legally deliver the parcel).

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #1,063 of 3,098
Just got my R2As. Here are some way too early impressions using the Shozy Alien as my source.

They are incredibly spacious for IEMs and not just spacious but realistic sounding. You can hear sounds layered in across different distances in the soundstage and you can hear those distances change as say a voice gets further from the mic. It's just a remarkably real sounding experience of sound in space, for lack of better words. This is really the highlight of these for me.

Not only is the sense of space great, but the size of the sound is more like a headphone than an IEM. By that I mean you feel like you're listening to a real sized band with real sized instruments rather than a miniature version like with most  IEMs.

Bass is great. Probably a bit more than neutral but not much bleed into the mids. 

I don't hear deficient highs and I'm using the complys. They don't exaggerate the highs to accentuate detail, instead they let their excellent mids reveal details what to me sounds very naturally. 

I tried the JVC spiral dots but they sounded thin. 

The y splitter is absurdly clunky and heavy. But because of the seal of the complys they stay in the ears nevertheless. 

Cable is ok. If I had sprung for the more expensive R2Pros I'd be disappointed though. 

They are incredibly small.

They are signficantly better than the Rockets. Much bigger sounding, more spacious, better bass. Several leagues above the Tenores.

Given how good these are I'm in the paradoxical position of thinking I got an incredible steal for USD 120 but curious about how much better the R2Pros might sound.

Great comments thanks. Ups re delivery today so hopefully I can chime in later.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #1,064 of 3,098
@WCDchee
Thank you for your comparison, this is awfully useful. I guess both R2A and Pros have their strengths and it really depends on what kind of music one listens to. I've a question though, is the treble on the Pros harsh/fatiguing with the supplied Comply tips?

I can help with this. The answer is a big no. On complys, they are VERY suitable for long listening sessions.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,065 of 3,098
Destrozer,
Any silicone tip recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back